DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Drones In Tanzania - A couple of questions

cbest

Reactions
Hello everyone. I will be heading to Tanzania later this year. I am generally aware of the rules for recreational flying and the restrictions as well as the need to apply for a permit.

Has anyone flown in Tanzania? How was the experience. Was it difficult to find available locations for your flying. I'll be staying in the general area of Arusha and I'm hoping that there will be sufficient beautiful areas outside of the National Parks for flying.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
Some friends of ours went through nearly the whole of Africa a few months ago, cross country 4 months with a overland tour, including Tanzania.
I can't recall specifics, but they said a couple of people had drones in their gear, and they rarely got to use them.
Many places like lodges etc simply would not allow flight, mostly to do with wildlife and not disturbing them.

If you are a little more location based for your trip, I'm sure you would find places to fly.
Head out (safely with a local guide) to get a bit more remote.

I wonder about their regulations etc, is it a case of the Mini might be a good aircraft for such a place ?
This is where I feel the Mini is best suited, easier travel in places with exempt sub 250g rule.

Enjoy, it would be an amazing place to explore and film from the air.

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
Some friends of ours went through nearly the whole of Africa a few months ago, cross country 4 months with a overland tour, including Tanzania.
I can't recall specifics, but they said a couple of people had drones in their gear, and they rarely got to use them.
Many places like lodges etc simply would not allow flight, mostly to do with wildlife and not disturbing them.

If you are a little more location based for your trip, I'm sure you would find places to fly.
Head out (safely with a local guide) to get a bit more remote.

I wonder about their regulations etc, is it a case of the Mini might be a good aircraft for such a place ?
This is where I feel the Mini is best suited, easier travel in places with exempt sub 250g rule.

Enjoy, it would be an amazing place to explore and film from the air.
Thank you very much. Yes, I don't want to disturb the wildlife, etc. Will need to find some wide open non-park spaces with few people around. Thanks you and have a good day.

You can find here all what you need to know... except the nice locations!

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
Hello everyone. I will be heading to Tanzania later this year. I am generally aware of the rules for recreational flying and the restrictions as well as the need to apply for a permit.

Has anyone flown in Tanzania? How was the experience. Was it difficult to find available locations for your flying. I'll be staying in the general area of Arusha and I'm hoping that there will be sufficient beautiful areas outside of the National Parks for flying.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Hi- I've been to African on 11 safaris over the years. Thoroughly enjoyed them all. This last one involved Zambia, and Madagascar (September 2019).I was age South Luangwa Park in Southern Zambia.

I was NOT allowed to fly inside the park, outside the park, from my lodge, or anywhere else. If I did fly it would have infuriated the camp manager a lot! He specifically forbade me to fly. They are extremely worried about aiding poachers, scaring animals, and disturbing guests. Regardless of the laws, the only way you will be able to fly is to sneak off and do it . The problem in most camps is if you sneak off, you'll get eaten up by an animal. So I behaved myself and didn't do it. But I was freely able to fly in Madagascar.

• Haha
Reactions: bzmot
I was in Tanzania in 2018. Spent some time in Arusha. National parks prohibit drones. Now, if you're only going to Mt. Kilimanjaro NP I wouldn't worry about it. Find a guide or a tour agency that will allow you to fly and you're good. Mountains are vast, animals are scarce, especially in higher reaches, so morally it is not a big quandary. Enforcement wise as you can imagine there is none. However, game parks are definitely a no go and even if you found a lenient guide or tour company I wouldn't do it for obvious moral and ethical reasons, some of which mentioned above. Outside of parks, sure, fly to your heart's content. I rented a motorcyle and ventured out of Arusha on the A23 road to have some aerial shots of Mt. Kilimanjaro. In the countryside no one will ask for a permit, some people might stop and ask you questions though, just becsuse they are curious, drones are not commonplace in Tanzania. And enforcement-wise like I said, not a problem. So whatever you do, use common sense and avoid game parks. Because as you can imagine, this is Africa and permits exists on paper only but in practice are unobtainable (authorities do not reply to emails...:/ )
Oh and I would avoid flying over government and military installations. This will get you in trouble in Africa or elsewhere.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo