DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying fast and close to objects and obstacles

Ian in London

Reactions
Hello guys

I was reading a thread on here the other week on a guy who had tried to 'push the Mavic to its limits' to try and get some decent video. The flight wasn't that great and he got some criticism for how he flew.

But getting that particular shot or angle doesn't mean you have to fly like an idiot; you just need to look as if you are :)
This video shows how to position yourself and line up flight paths to keep your Mavic in precise control when shooting a fast action bit of video that's close to objects or obstacles.
Some of you won't find this too interesting if you only fly high up over open countryside, but other people trying to shoot certain types of videos should find this useful....
Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Don't mean to be rude but really? Youve made a video on how to fly like an idiot and cause an accident. Why would you risk your drone by flying so close to things? What is the point of this except to annoy people and make more people anti drone? how does this help anyone to fly like you in that video along the beach?

Don't mean to be rude but really? Youve made a video on how to fly like an idiot and cause an accident. Why would you risk your drone by flying so close to things? What is the point of this except to annoy people and make more people anti drone? how does this help anyone to fly like you in that video along the beach?
You do realize that the people in the video was him and a camera man ?
With the beach shots , You did realize that it was him and a camera man again and what you were thinking were people were pylon poles in the water ?
Wellsi video shows exactly what he claim's, to get that particular shot or angle Shot !!!

You do realize that the people in the video was him and a camera man ?
With the beach shots , You did realize that it was him and a camera man again and what you were thinking were people were pylon poles in the water ?
Wellsi video shows exactly what he claim's, to get that particular shot or angle Shot !!!
Cheers Skunk!
I'm happy this video does what it says on the tin: Shows some good action shots and how to execute them precisely and under complete control... And we had great fun making the video! :)

Cheers,
Ian

Cheers Skunk!
I'm happy this video does what it says on the tin: Shows some good action shots and how to execute them precisely and under complete control... And we had great fun making the video! :)

Cheers,
Ian
Ian , Its the same as all your other video's I have viewed , Informative , Showing of safe flying practices on your part and to the point easy to understand --- I really enjoyed the resent one with the past 2000yr old bridge and the present huge via-duct bridge .
Good job as usual Wellsi Thumbswayup

What Wellsi is showing and talking about is proper preparation and execution with a plan in place.
It wasn't just a spur of the moment hoot around.
Good post.
Just wonder if Biker actually watched all the video and listened to what was said.

What Wellsi is showing and talking about is proper preparation and execution with a plan in place.
It wasn't just a spur of the moment hoot around.
Good post.
Just wonder if Biker actually watched all the video and listened to what was said.
Cheers guys. I think it was watched and not listened too... Everyone else is fine :)

Reactions: TerryJ
Hello guys

I was reading a thread on here the other week on a guy who had tried to 'push the Mavic to its limits' to try and get some decent video. The flight wasn't that great and he got some criticism for how he flew.

But getting that particular shot or angle doesn't mean you have to fly like an idiot; you just need to look as if you are :)
This video shows how to position yourself and line up flight paths to keep your Mavic in precise control when shooting a fast action bit of video that's close to objects or obstacles.
Some of you won't find this too interesting if you only fly high up over open countryside, but other people trying to shoot certain types of videos should find this useful....
Cheers,
Ian
Great video bro, thanks for sharing. You live in a beautiful place.

Reactions: TerryJ
Yup, quite useful! Basic, but useful, especially if you haven't thought of it, they were quite revealing tips. Thanks for posting mate!

Reactions: JimZ
Awesome work Ian some basic tricks that do the trick thanks for sharing was awesome to watch
Cheers fella.. Basic tips are the best and easiest to take on. All common sense once you know, but if you don't know them, you won't use them :)

Ian in London

Reactions: True fly
Nice helpful video that will be useful to many I'm sure.

One word of caution. I've used the "reversing through a window" technique on some old mine workings in Cornwall. One thing to be very aware of is that big old stone buildings can really upset the Mavic compass and GPS signals. I lined up a shot, noticed the bird drifting a bit (no warnings) but when I pulled backwards, instead of taking a line back to me, it headed off at an angle of 30 degrees!

Just something to check out first.

Hello guys

Cheers,
Ian
Thank ian for this educative video and advice. To help better non-native English speakers as me it will be nice to reduce the music background just a little. As you speak sometimes up to your last blow + mixed with the dubbing is barely impossible for me to get your words unless I replay 5 times the sequence ;)

Reactions: jamesw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000