DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying for hobby, not commercially. Need a push towards the next drone.

Mac282

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Air now for over a year. I really like it, however I've been thinking of expanding/starting a collection of drones. Nothing but kudo's for the DJI series, especially since following the posts here. I am curious of the other reputable mfg's out there. With so many cheap toy drones popping up I was leaning towards Autel Evo and the Parrot Anafi. Just curious if everyone here is just pro DJI or if anyone has strayed to other mfg's. It just for a hobby flying groove for now, so the optics aren't that important now. Just looking for some direction if you'd be so kind. Thanks.

Reactions: MMPerrish
I've had my Mavic Air now for over a year. I really like it, however I've been thinking of expanding/starting a collection of drones. Nothing but kudo's for the DJI series, especially since following the posts here. I am curious of the other reputable mfg's out there. With so many cheap toy drones popping up I was leaning towards Autel Evo and the Parrot Anafi. Just curious if everyone here is just pro DJI or if anyone has strayed to other mfg's. It just for a hobby flying groove for now, so the optics aren't that important now. Just looking for some direction if you'd be so kind. Thanks.
I love my Parrot Anafi drones, they are a perfect compliment to the DJI because of the differences. Dedicated throw and go hand launch function. 180 degree camera, no geo fencing, cheap to buy ifs you are willing to go used or refurbished, nearly completely repairable if you have some basic skills. Its a bargain as refurbs are often $360 for a basic package, used and refurb Anafi Extended packages can be found for $475 to $600 with a nice bag three batteries and charger.

The Anafi has a few one button flight and video modes that are only available in select DJI drones. Its fun to fly and generally stable in most wind conditions.

The bad side of Anafi is that its now old technology and there is no sign of a new consumer model. The range is more limited than DJI, and it aquires and keeps satellites slower than DJI. It still is head and shoulders in video capabilities and stability over all of the sub $600 drones other than the Mini 2.

I fly with other forum members locally, all of us have Part 107 certs who fly our drones for various commercial reasons. Yet we fly so much recreationally that you’d think we just got our toys for Xmas...

I make fun of their orange Black & Decker-like color, but the Autel Evo series holds some appeal with me. Now I’m grateful that my DJI Mavics keep me from flying in places I should not. But when I know I can fly, and the Fly Safe Database tells me otherwise, yet my friends’ Evos are taking off...they look like the most valuable birds on-station, at that time.

Pre-owned original Evo is priced like a used Mavic Pro these days. Whatever you add to your collection, have a great time!

DF718B28-BBA7-4057-ABDC-C58A13A39057.jpeg

Reactions: Mac282
@Mac282 ,if its just for the flying enjoyment ,and you want something reasonably inexpensive ,then the Mimi 2 would be a good bet to add to you fleet
it has a reasonable flight time, occusync ,is easy to transport the batteries are very cheap compared to the larger drones ,and its camera is good enough for hobby pics and vids

You are going to find it hard to beat out the Occusync 2.0 system. If you can find a drone company that has that installed in their drone then I would say go try them out but until then you will not be happy. I would suggest to do your "homework" on other drones to see what I mean. I almost bought the mini but I am glad I went with the MA2. If you want something smaller then try out the Mini 2 since it also has Occusync 2.0 and you will have less trouble.

Reactions: old man mavic
I,m drone poor right now but would like to hear about the evo ll from a dji pilot go for it

I started with the Mavic Air in early 2018 which is still a fantastic little drone and still benefits from being able to use my 2 third party apps Litchi and Maven for all my photography and Videoing.
I then got my second drone which was the mavic Air 2 with longer flight times and the new occlusync for more reliable signal and many other features.
I considered selling my Air 1 but then thought why, I cant get anywhere near what I paid and I, like you wanted to start a little collection.
3 months ago I bough a Mini2 to add to it and I have never looked back, the mini 2 legally flies from my back garden with relaxed restrictions, good camera and flight times.
I decided to do the A2CoC while in the lockdown to give me more flexibility once it was over. Once this lockdown is over I can then go out with any or all of my drones and fly under CAA Article 16 rules or A2CoC rules.
My advice would be for you to get the cheaper mini 2 as it is a great little drone and wait for the CE (certified) drones to be released unless you can get a real deal for any of the Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom models as you will get 2 years before they become legacy drones.
Good luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada