DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a boat return to home?Mavic2 zoom

Van Shteffy

Reactions
Mavic 2 Zoom This summer I plan to film around an island from my inflatable boat. All line of sight. I will take off from the boat. Is there a way that I can have the boat be the return to home when I'm in another location? Thanks.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Yes. You have to set the remote controller as the RTH location. When you push "RTH" . . . it will return the the current location of the RC.

Yes. You have to set the remote controller as the RTH location. When you push "RTH" . . . it will return the the current location of the RC.
Yes, this is the way - however even with this, it may be a bit risky, especially on rough waters.
Position of the controller is updated at intervals, so last position recorded may no longer be accurate.
It is very important to watch the drone and - when it is very close and about to land - it may be required to pause the RTH and regain control to land it safely.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It is very important to watch the drone and - when it is very close and about to land - it may be required to pause the RTH and regain control to land it safely.

This.

Return to home only has the accuracy of GPS, typically 5m.

So unless you have a very big boat (a ship?) I would not rely on it to bring it all the way back. It will get you close but probably not good enough for landing on a small boat.

Reactions: Drones.n.Pixels
This.

Return to home only has the accuracy of GPS, typically 5m.

So unless you have a very big boat (a ship?) I would not rely on it to bring it all the way back. It will get you close but probably not good enough for landing on a small boat.
That's exactly my point as well.
Although the accuracy can be improved with vision sensors, I would be very cautions with full execution of RTH when on boat.

Ships will move when moored or anchored - ive seen several drones make a perfect landing in the ocean where the boat WAS when it left and not the 3m or so away where it is now.

Also all boats are going to pitch and roll so you really dont want it trying to land on a deck thats moving up or down away from it. That all has to be done manually (ideally hand launch, hand catch)

The beauty of most inflatable boats is that they have nothing sticking up in the air like other boats. You can always lay your fishing pole down for flight ops.

However, if it’s like our sailboat’s dinghy, the inflatable will move around quite a bit with the slightest water movement. So I simply hover and hand-catch. If the winds increase unexpectedly, you’re nimble enough to beach the boat and land your M2Z on dry land.

I’ve used RTH button to bring my Mavic close to the boat, but I manually fly her in myself.

Reactions: Drones.n.Pixels
Valuable advice. I thank you. I have bought floats for the drone. I have an insurance policy from Best Buy but I have to bring in the pieces in wrecked.

Mavic 2 Zoom This summer I plan to film around an island from my inflatable boat. All line of sight. I will take off from the boat. Is there a way that I can have the boat be the return to home when I'm in another location? Thanks.
When I do filming around a lake, I prefer to leave the drone powered up and ready to go from the shore, kayak out a bit, launch and film. If I lose connection, etc, it goes to a dry place vs. hoping my GPS location has been updated from a spot in the lake to my boat.

Reactions: ff22
When I do filming around a lake, I prefer to leave the drone powered up and ready to go from the shore, kayak out a bit, launch and film. If I lose connection, etc, it goes to a dry place vs. hoping my GPS location has been updated from a spot in the lake to my boat.

Or launch from the boat, fly straight over to a safe landing spot and manually set your home there. Then continue the flight.

At any time, you can reset the Home Point to the current aircraft location as it follows you. Just keep updating it as you fly, and be sure to cancel RTH when it gets close, and manually land back at the boat with a hand catch.

They make water floats for the mavic it might deplete the battery faster but I'd rather deplete my battery faster and have it land on the water instead of in the water

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa