DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a parked car

Thanev

Reactions
I am interested in launching my Mavic Pro 2,then returning to my vehicle for the sake of keeping warm during these cool Canadian winters.The vehicle would remain parked.I am sure drones with wifi would have issues,but Ocusync?
Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I plan on keeping a window open and the heater on high while flying.Would interference from the vehicle create loss of signal issues?

A4F4AB82-376A-44F6-89AD-F781ACD506C5.jpeg Just started doing it and the only thing I have noticed was my app crashed several times. Now not sure
if it was because of the latest update or from where I have
my pad. Now I have never since go came out had it to crash.
Still have to experiment some. Just been to busy but as far
as signal I was fine.

Occusync has no magic advantage over so called lightbridge, enhanced wifi or what ever name might be given to a transmission scheme- to the extent the frequencies used are in the same bands you should expect signal degradation to effect all proportionately.

Operating from inside the vehicle will reduce range. Many have used external antennas.

Ok!
Learning everytime I hit the forum.
May just throw caution to the wind and try a short flight or 2.
Curious to see how the Occusync signal degrades compared to my Anafi,as the Anafi is weak at best.Perhaps the Occusync will be better as it seems like a much stronger technology to begin with.

Reactions: Philarm
When I noticed my signal bars drop 1 I just set my hands
on top of the steering wheel to bring my antennas up and
my signal came back up. Now there I fly low and over water
and 3500’ was no issue. Kinda liked the comfort. Plus had my jams on. :)

I've flown quite often from a car. Not only is it warm in the winter, but for both summer and winter, the roof of the vehicle provides a sun shade making your phone or tablet display easier to see.

Because most cars are made of metal the signals don't pass through very well. You can take a huge hit in range depending on where the drone is in relation to your car. I generally try to keep the drone in sight out the windshield or out the driver's side window.. As dirklod points out, holding the controller near a window helps a lot.

Ok!
Learning everytime I hit the forum.
May just throw caution to the wind and try a short flight or 2.
Curious to see how the Occusync signal degrades compared to my Anafi,as the Anafi is weak at best.Perhaps the Occusync will be better as it seems like a much stronger technology to begin with.
Get a solid Home Point set, near you, but away from the metal car, so if connection is lost, based on your settings it will at least attempt an RTH.

I've flown quite often from a car. Not only is it warm in the winter, but for both summer and winter, the roof of the vehicle provides a sun shade making your phone or tablet display easier to see.

Because most cars are made of metal the signals don't pass through very well. You can take a huge hit in range depending on where the drone is in relation to your car. I generally try to keep the drone in sight out the windshield or out the driver's side window.. As dirklod points out, holding the controller near a window helps a lot.
Open the sunroof? Lol

My biggest worry would me magnet interference with taking off near anything metallic, this is a cause of many flyaways so I would start the home point away from the car and then once clear retreat into the car for the flight. Just to be in the safe side.

All depends ,trust what your app says. Was all I took off from till last month and got a different truck that has a aluminum bed and can't do it now but my 90 GMC which was all steel I had no issues.
Waiting on a screen recording to download from the cloud now on flying from inside my truck and will post it in a bit but was trying the RTH spot on landing in this.
And this

Yeh well good luck with that, all I will say is that a small but easy thing to overlook is to make sure before take off that the direction pointer of the aircraft in the compass window is the same direction as the aircraft is pointing on the ground before takeoff, then all should be well as long as you don’t get a magnetic interference message.

I have flown from the comfort of my car with my MPP and P4. When at the ocean I do it for the shade and in the winter for the heat. I have a lung disease that greatly limits my mobility and along with flying out over open water I need complete confidence that I can bring the drone back right next to my car.
Most of my flights have been under 5,000 feet away from my home point. I haven’t had any issues yet.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I always take off and land outside, but have returned to my car (if close. I usually leave the door open, with air or heat running full blast to stay cold or warm. I also use the batteries charging in the car as well. No problems, but I always keep my MP in line of sight and never fly on the opposite side of the car without going outside to do so.

I am interested in launching my Mavic Pro 2,then returning to my vehicle for the sake of keeping warm during these cool Canadian winters.The vehicle would remain parked.I am sure drones with wifi would have issues,but Ocusync?
Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I plan on keeping a window open and the heater on high while flying.Would interference from the vehicle create loss of signal issues?
I have a friend who is disabled, he does it all the time

Reactions: Van Shteffy
Did this morning but see more have posted since I went out to show OP and gonna post it anyway.
Messed up by forgetting to start screen recorder and came back and started over.To much Turkey in me I guess. Was stormy bad last nite but clear today other than the wind which you can seee in my compass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair