DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying further / long distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MADMAX-69

beforr deciding on flying long distance, consider this ...

the further your drone get from you, the weaker your transmitted signal is when it gets to the drone ...with that in mind, anyone that can see, or hear your drone has the potential of taking over control of it, and leaving you drone less,
as a ham radio op, i am licensed to run high power on these frequencies
, and i mean in the kilowatt range, i could take over your drone from many many mile away and you wouldnt even know it ...so to, can some one with a booster, more commonly called an r.f amp, do the same unknowingly! as they may just be using an amp / booster to extend the range of there home wi-fi signal,.. what happens is there signal will over power yours, because its closer... it can block your signal, there by causing you loss of control ..... you better hope your return to home is working well , also,gps signals can be lost, ever listen to xm radio and have it go out because you went under some tree cover, or a hill or mountain blocked your view of the satellite ??
also radio band conditions can cause all kind of havoc to your drones receiver
the U.S govt. has spent hundreds of thousand of dollars perfecting its drones... and most of it is done by satellite, not terrestrial radio signals ...
hey, if you got that kinda money, can you use a friend ??

hey, i like to fly long distant also.... but i know how to do it, and just modifying or replacing you transmitter with one that is more powerful is not the way you go about it .....
i realy dont mean to be a party pooper
this is just a reminder, you do what you think is right, and if your going to fly way beyond your sight of your drone, just send the purchase price money of the drone to me, ill use it for a good purpose, instead of you throwing it away on a drone flown beyond its controllability and have it never return !!!

fly smart, fly safe ,fly with in your view

MAXMAX

Reactions: Sterling
People are liars if they're saying they always fly within line of sight.

Reactions: upset264

the further your drone get from you, the weaker your transmitted signal is when it gets to the drone ...with that in mind, anyone that can see, or hear your drone has the potential of taking over control of it, and leaving you drone less,
, and i mean in the kilowatt range, i could take over your drone from many many mile away and you wouldnt even know it ...so to, can some one with a booster, more commonly called an r.f amp, do the same unknowingly! as they may just be using an amp / booster to extend the range of there home wi-fi signal,.. what happens is there signal will over power yours, because its closer... it can block your signal, there by causing you loss of control ..... you better hope your return to home is working well , also,gps signals can be lost, ever listen to xm radio and have it go out because you went under some tree cover, or a hill or mountain blocked your view of the satellite ??
the U.S govt. has spent hundreds of thousand of dollars perfecting its drones... and most of it is done by satellite, not terrestrial radio signals ...

hey, i like to fly long distant also.... but i know how to do it, and just modifying or replacing you transmitter with one that is more powerful is not the way you go about it .....
this is just a reminder, you do what you think is right, and if your going to fly way beyond your sight of your drone, just send the purchase price money of the drone to me, ill use it for a good purpose, instead of you throwing it away on a drone flown beyond its controllability and have it never return !!!

MAXMAX

MAXMAX
I have been a ham operator with advanced class ticket for over 40 years and maybe 10% of what you're saying is correct,please get your facts right before comments like this

Agree with ya rick Thumbswayup
People are liars if they're saying they always fly within line of sight.
And I'm pretty sure lot's do and We do not call others names here
so let's not start .
Be Nice.jpeg or don't post and just pass on by .

Reactions: rickw
I have been a ham operator with advanced class ticket for over 40 years and maybe 10% of what you're saying is correct,please get your facts right before comments like this

I also am an amateur radio operator. I second what you’re saying. Some of the facts aren’t quite correct.

MAXMAX

Are you just talking theory or are there any verifiable incidents in which somone's Mavic has been hijacked midflight and stolen? If so, please provide us some links.

, and i mean in the kilowatt range, i could take over your drone from many many mile away and you wouldnt even know it
MAXMAX

So 3w can get you 10 miles flying with the mavic, 1000w+ are you trying to go across states and knock out people's wifi city wide?

There was me thinking 5w limit in the 2.4GHz band with a Ham license, at least it was a few years ago

With a 1000w+ would you get skip? it's normally lower frequencies that you can use skip, I've forgotten to much it been like 10 years

Edit: it was 50w not 5w, higher license is 400w MAX

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverFox01
So 3w can get you 10 miles flying with the mavic, 1000w+ are you trying to go across states and knock out people's wifi city wide?

There was me thinking 5w limit in the 2.4GHz band with a Ham license, at least it was a few years ago

With a 1000w+ would you get skip? it's normally lower frequencies that you can use skip, I've forgotten to much it been like 10 years
haha haha 1 kw is nothing i have a 15 foot dish hooked up to it, so, add the gain from the antemma and my erp is almost 10 kw... i use it to bounce my signal off the moon, but just think what that would do to a drones receiver .....

Are you just talking theory or are there any verifiable incidents in which somone's Mavic has been hijacked midflight and stolen? If so, please provide us some links.
i can do it any time i want to, but wont, as i fly drones also and wouldnt like it if some one did it to me !!

i have been a ham for , you k 58 yrs, have worked for many r.f companeys, wake up and smell the roses....

haha haha 1 kw is nothing i have a 15 foot dish hooked up to it, so, add the gain from the antemma and my erp is almost 10 kw... i use it to bounce my signal off the moon, but just think what that would do to a drones receiver .....

So what you are saying is that you are in breach of the ham licence transmitting power limit
Screenshot_20171120-164636.png

nothing

i can do it any time i want to, but wont

I was thinking occusync was different to standard wifi & its encrypted

If you pair a new controller by pressing the button on the mavic itself the old controller doesn't connect, which means the mavic is looking at a particular RC so how would you rob someone's drone again?

exactly,that's why I replied his big dish would do nothing,lol

If someone was using that kinda power it would just be a signal jammer which would initiate RTH

Iran spoofed a U.S. drone using GPS to get the craft to land within their country.

You have to know the drone is there to hack it.

I doubt anyone flying is worried about a Ham radio operator hijacking their drone. I think most are just worried about colliding into objects.

Mountains do block GPS reception (experienced it) as do tall buildings. Best to fly above height of obstacles vs. between them in close confines. Mountains do a number on reception.

I doubt people will shell out $1000 plus for line of sight operation. If that's the case everyone should be flying within 400 feet.

So when you did moon bounce, what frequency and mode were you using?

Reactions: dekip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143