DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying hotspot

Mission North

Reactions
I have a need for a temporary internet connection out in the wilds where there's no phone signal. I have designed and 3d printed a simple holder for a 3g hotspot on top of the Mavic. Ground tests so far show no interference with gps, compass or control signals. The centre of gravity is about right and there is clearance for the rotors. I intend to fly it first with the hotspot turned off. Can anyone think of anything I may have missed before I commit it to the skies?

E8B2C384-249D-4B95-B541-3B799C32B095.jpeg

Ok I'm confused.. "I have a need for a temporary internet connection out in the wilds where there's no phone signal." then how the heck does the "3g hotspot on top of the Mavic" get a signal? Is you phone not a 3g or LTE capable phone?
If you have to fly the mavic that far away to get a 3g signal, the odds of the wifi extending back to you is very unlikely.

Reactions: Kilrah
The positioning and the mount look fine, but like the prior post I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to achieve.

An extra 400 feet of height should make a huge difference to line of sight 3g signals.

Once, many years ago, I was working on a live insert into a TV programme from the middle of a field in a valley. Power from generator, mobile satellite uplink for outgoing vision and sound, but no incoming sound, and no mobile signal. Threw a rope over a tree branch and hoisted my phone to the top of the tree. Bluetooth earpiece to voice dial the studio. Viewers at home have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

He needs alittle extra height to get s signal. I c no issue unless u get some interference

Given that this will give you internet 20 minutes at a time (oh the good old dial-up days) you might be better off (and cheaper) just strapping the hotspot to a big enough helium balloon ;)

Reactions: Kilrah and zero1981
I have a need for a temporary internet connection out in the wilds where there's no phone signal. I have designed and 3d printed a simple holder for a 3g hotspot on top of the Mavic. Ground tests so far show no interference with gps, compass or control signals. The centre of gravity is about right and there is clearance for the rotors. I intend to fly it first with the hotspot turned off. Can anyone think of anything I may have missed before I commit it to the skies?

View attachment 28902

May get Better signal with it on bottom pointing down towards you

At my cabin in West Virginia, we don't get call service at the cabin, but take the ATV up the hill a bit and we can get it. So I can see how this can possibly work.
You could respond to emails offline, write new emails. And then send the the hotspot up and send the emails away. And new emails downloaded. It would all depend on how far up the drone needs to go to get a signal for the hotspot and is be still close enough to connect to your device.
In my situation, it's probably easier to just drive up a hill

Interested to see how you get on.

You might find interference becomes a problem the further mavic gets from RC.

Also Id calibrate compass with it in place.

Are you in a valley or something? How close is nearest cell tower?

I am in the same situation at my new property. No cell phone signal on my property and no internet until the local cable company finishes running high speed internet down my road later this summer. Yesterday I attached my iPhone to the top of my mavic 2 pro and went up and successfully created a working hotspot. Was able to check email and send a text. 2nd flight ran a speed test at several different altitudes and found 300’ gave me the best speed. Just looking for an easy way to attach my phone to the mavic besides electrical tape. Any ideas?

Velcro. Many of us used velcro on the M2 when there were reports of batteries started showing swelling.

Should be able to hold a phone. Less messy than tape. Besides, electrical tape stretches, particularly when heated, and the AC gets plenty hot.

Reactions: pkjackson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots