DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a non LAANC area but local airport is 3 miles away.

DBT_Drone

Reactions
I would like to perform a POI flight over a local telescope observatory outside of town. The small local airport according to KittyHawk is 3 miles away and is NOT on LAANC. What should I do to fly in this area?

I would like to perform a POI flight over a local telescope observatory outside of town. The small local airport according to KittyHawk is 3 miles away and is NOT on LAANC. What should I do to fly in this area?

What is the actual Airspace you are lookin to fly in?

If Class "G" you are only required to fly safe and practice See & Avoid. Now it would be a good idea to take some extra precautions IMHO. Monitor local air traffic on an airband radio, reach out to the management of that facility and just "let them know" where you'll be and when you'll be there.

If this is a Recreational flight you'll want to maintain 400' AGL as a hard max regardless of the structure you'll be flying around/over.

Reactions: RandyV and SethB
A follow up....................after about an hour wait I did receive a call from the local airport and they said it was ok to fly in the area I wanted to. I decided to fly elsewhere...................................

Reactions: RandyV
KCXP looks to be class G to 700 AGL, then class E. You can’t legally go over 400 AGL, so that is class G. Be careful around Reno however.

Attachments

• 29E42CA0-ED3E-4535-BF3F-EBBD160C8372.jpeg
    29E42CA0-ED3E-4535-BF3F-EBBD160C8372.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: BigAl07
KCXP looks to be class G to 700 AGL, then class E. You can’t legally go over 400 AGL, so that is class G. Be careful around Reno however.
Yeah, Reno is a whole different animal! Have to be WAY out of town to be outside of restricted areas. They did get back to me, but I had changed my mind on fly there. I'll go fly there another time.

When flying near air / helo ports - make sure your "manned aircraft" warning is turned on, so it will alert you if one comes in the area. I live way outside of a local airport, so no issues flying around under 400 ft, but do get the occasional manned aircraft warning when they fly close by. Sometimes "they" seem to be below their AGL. We also have a hospital helo-port - so I keep an eye out as well for them.

Reactions: DBT_Drone
When flying near air / helo ports - make sure your "manned aircraft" warning is turned on, so it will alert you if one comes in the area. I live way outside of a local airport, so no issues flying around under 400 ft, but do get the occasional manned aircraft warning when they fly close by. Sometimes "they" seem to be below their AGL. We also have a hospital helo-port - so I keep an eye out as well for them.
Manned aircraft warning.......I must have missed that! I have a Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller, Where is the setting for this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98