DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a snow storm in Alaska

The controller is waterproof also?

Neither the Mavic 2 nor the controller are waterproof, at best they are somewhat water resistant. The motors are waterproof (by themselves, they could actually run underwater), but what you need to be worried about is moisture getting into where the battery contacts connect to the drone, which is completely exposed with a fairly large gap. I would never fly in rain/snow personally but I recognize some people have had success with it. You can also buy products that increase the water resistance of the Mavic 2, but too risky for me.

Neither the Mavic 2 nor the controller are waterproof, at best they are somewhat water resistant. The motors are waterproof (by themselves, they could actually run underwater), but what you need to be worried about is moisture getting into where the battery contacts connect to the drone, which is completely exposed with a fairly large gap. I would never fly in rain/snow personally but I recognize some people have had success with it. You can also buy products that increase the water resistance of the Mavic 2, but too risky for me.

I discovered that the drone was water resistant by accident a month ago while I was shooting a video of lightning about 5-7 miles away (but the rain arrived while the MP2 was still in the air (and I was in the car). The drone survived ok, but I thought the controller would be at more risk from moisture. I suppose if I knew I was going to shoot in rain or snow for a period like the OP did here, I'd put a small strip of gaffer's tape over the battery seams, but I'll likely never fly in either situation intentionally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty