DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Australia & New Zealand

mikeGR

Reactions
Hello fellow drone-pilots,

I'm soon visiting Australia and New Zealand and did a quick check on rules and regulations regarding drone flying. I know there are some old threads floating around the forum but I'd like to have the most up-to-date info for obvious reasons. Here's what I found out:

Australia:
Pretty relaxed, I have downloaded the "Can I Fly There" app which clearly indicates whether it is ok or not to fly at any location. For example: Bondi Beach, Manly and in front of Sydney Opera House looks like it's fine to fly, as long as there are no manned aircraft operating around. (However, behind the Opera House, over the water, for example, it's a NFZ). Whitheaven beach also looks fine, as well as most part of Gold Coast and Brisbane South Bank.

New Zealand:
Also pretty relaxed, based on this map. If you want to fly within controlled areas (for example Muriwai beach or Rotorua) you need to submit a request through airshare and get it approved. There's no NFZ over Hobitton in Mata Mata, which makes me think that it's perfectly fine to fly over that. Anyone tried it?

Can anyone confirm if the above is correct/state your experiences when flying down under? The last thing I want is to get in trouble during my holidays :)

Thanks!

For example: Bondi Beach, Manly and in front of Sydney Opera House looks like it's fine to fly, as long as there are no manned aircraft operating around. (However, behind the Opera House, over the water, for example, it's a NFZ).
Don't even think of pulling out a drone in Sydney anywhere within sight of the harbour bridge and Opera House.
There are some Sydney locals here that can give more info.
Be very careful around popular beaches as the surf patrol helicopters fly low and often right where you probably want to fly.

New Zealand:
Also pretty relaxed, based on this map. If you want to fly within controlled areas (for example Muriwai beach or Rotorua) you need to submit a request through airshare and get it approved. There's no NFZ over Hobitton in Mata Mata, which makes me think that it's perfectly fine to fly over that. Anyone tried it?
In NZ the Dept of Conservation controls very large areas and they have a completely unworkable and impractical set of their own drone rules.
Recreational drone use
It's ridiculous and difficult to comply with.
The best you can do is to avoid trying to fly around any of their popular national parks etc.
Look for quiet areas off the road, away from parking areas, and tourist spots etc and you'll have hundreds of potential launch spots where no-one will bother you.
Be aware that there are a lot of helicopters in the South Island. They can turn up anywhere.
DJI_0533-42a-X2.jpg

Reactions: Flynz and Simmo
Hey Mike, I am from Sydney. As mentioned you can not fly your drone in most populous places. For some information please visit this site. Droneflyer | Recreational drone rules and regulation

You can use the CASA app as you have done to see where you can fly. However each council in Australia have their own rules relating to parks etc.

NZ is a whole different ballgame. When I went to South island earlier this year, only one small council allowed me to fly my drone.. so it was hard to use my done while I was there...

Thanks for your responses. Looks like it's a lot harder than I thought. I am a bit unclear as to which are the parks in Australia and New Zealand - I thought that if the app says I'm good to go, then I can fly. I might need to do some extra research after all.

There are national parks and then man made sports fields... both are managed by the council in that area + governed by their regulations on top of CASA rules..

Reactions: mikeGR
NEw Zealand flying is ok:
- Most public parks. Check local council websites. In Auckland Cornwall park and all cemeteries are banned.
- Most of the coast.
- Conservation land requires consent. South Island the Dept of Conservation has maps on the web. North Island they say contact us.
- Most wild country is fine but bird reserves are a no no.
- Most beaches are ok but see above about bird breading areas. We do have a lot of conservation land!

Banned:
- over all private property without consent. So all suburbs and cities are out, except for parks.
- technically the farmland is out but stay away from locals and no one will notice or care. Don’t hassle farm animals.
- over all roads and over parked cars strangely.
- over people.
- over sports events and large public gatherings so concerts and stadiums are out, unless you are looking in from a neighbouring park and not over people or a parked car.
- within 4 km of a registered airport, unless you are NZ CAA Part 102 registered (exams and $4,000) and file a flight plan and have consent from the tower or unless you have a qualified pilot (as in aircraft pilot) standing next to you and contact with the tower.

Downtown Auckland has 4 heliports so is out. And it’s all roads and private property. So no arial shots of Auckland CBD.

- over 400ft or 120m anywhere in Nz is banned under part 101 operations. Part 102 operators can fly higher with a flight plan.

However:

You can fly inside an airport zone if you fly sheltered ie no higher than the highest feature within 100m. 300 ft. But still no higher than 400ft or 120m above ground level.

Most of NZ is down a dirt road so there is plenty of scope so long as you watch out for conservation spots and avoid locals.

Most of us fly around the local hood. Just stay high don’t annoy people or crash.

Do listen for aircraft and helicopters. They can appear anywhere and fly low. Also watch out for power lines. They can cross remote valleys without warning.

Enjoy NZ. It’s a great place. People are relaxed and friendly. Food is good but can be expensive at times. Coffee excellent in most places. We have great wine and craft beer Scenery is very varied and we have a lot of coast and like our boats and beaches.

Go well

P

Thanks for all the info posted about new zealand. I’ll be there in mid december with my mp 2 pro.

Just got back from a two week stint in New Zealand. I started in Auckland and ended in Queenstown. I did all my research before going and found the Department of Conservation’s rules a bit ridiculous and hard to follow. There were MANY places I wanted to fly but couldn’t. They make it hard to claim ignorance as well since they have highway signs in most all national parks (30% of the country) that state “No Drones!” Also there are many other smaller signs that also state it, even on printed maps you get at tourist info centers. My whole time there I only saw one guy with a Mavic Air that was flying near Lake Marian, he got a permit to fly there for the DOC. Overall, I wasn’t able to fly much at all which was a bummer, but I did a lot of shooting with my DSLR instead.

Aside from the rules above. The other issues with flying there are: consistent high winds, at times rain and drizzle, angry bird of all kinds that chase the drone, numerous airports and power lines.

My recommendation is to just leave your drone at home. As sad as it is. 2B7F43EF-D22B-4663-8DCE-3B85EF678340.jpeg1E591BA0-CF5F-4074-AEFD-74DE9E6642C4.jpeg996B092C-0B7F-423C-8C87-F050C6CC087B.jpeg
AE493FB8-5DFD-430F-83D2-33C56EBC6EC3.jpeg

Reactions: aragorn
I hope you enjoyed other elements of New Zealand and got some good shots with your DSLR.
Certainly popular tourist areas in the South Island are out as there a lot of general aviation and tourist operations.
The key to droning in New Zealand is to get off the beaten track. DOC South Island has specific locations recommended. I’m sitting on the Coromandel and coast appart from a bird colony at end of ourspit you can fly anywhere. Auckland CBD or Queenstown or anywhere that lots of tourist buses stop forget it.
Anyway I hope you enjoyed other elements of you travel here and got some good images.

It’s true that they make it difficult for us to fly by putting all those warning signs etc, however there’s still plenty locations where you can fly so I wouldn’t advise to leave the drone at home.

From my recent experience (Dec2018), there were no winds, no rain and no agitated birds following my drone, and I’m saying that having flown in both South and North islands. They are just being difficult for no reason in my opinion. Don’t be intimidated and go enjoy.

Here are the Department of Conservation's recommended areas to apply for a permit.

Has anyone done this? Does it take a long time? Is it worth ticking all the boxes, location-wise, even if you're not going to visit them all, or is it better to restrict to as few places as possible? Are they likely to say no?

Here are the Department of Conservation's recommended areas to apply for a permit.

Has anyone done this? Does it take a long time? Is it worth ticking all the boxes, location-wise, even if you're not going to visit them all, or is it better to restrict to as few places as possible? Are they likely to say no?

This is the first time I am seeing this list, however as mentioned earlier it was a lengthy process to apply and seek permission. I applied for most of the local councils in south Island and only one gave me permission to fly. Worth a try... see how you go and please report back...

I have been to NZ twice recently. Got a permit from DOC for a number of locations for three months. Took a long time but staff were helpful and a bit apologetic for complexity. Cost me $60. Had to get two documents signed and witnessed. Probably easier next time (I go there a lot). Stayed at a farmstay and owners were overjoyed to receive footage. They even offered us a free night's accommodation! There were some nice spots by the roadside too. Worth the effort but have to plan in advance. List of locations on DOC website difficult to follow as there isn't map of the locations that I'm aware of.

Most of mainland Australia much more relaxed. Watch out for NFZs around controlled burnoffs in the bush, which come and go. They're everywhere here in Canberra at the moment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji