DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Class D outside of airport service hours (Class G)

Jjb1108

Reactions
Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself I'm John From Plymouth, England, I live in Mobile, Alabama. Been flying fpv for about 5 years, and model aircraft in general for about 20. I purchased a Mavic pro during the Amazon day sale because it was such a good deal. Now I'm wanting to further the company I work for which is an auto dealership. My Part 107 Certification is scheduled for Tuesday the 21st of August 2018, in 3 days.

My dealership is located within class D airspace, about 3.5 miles from the Downtown Mobile Airport, I looked at the chart supplement for KBFM and it shows that there are hours which would put me in class G.

Is there any reason for me to request authorization if I'd like to fly outside service hours of this airport while its classified as class G? I generally wont fly above 80 ft here.

Let me copy you a link to the chart supplement for the airport, like I said my test isn't for a few days so I'm not currently licensed and if I'm reading this wrong let me know!

BFM - Mobile Downtown Airport | SkyVector

Thank you for any help.

John B

There are no "off hours" for Section 336. You _ALWAYS_ need to notify the airport when flying within 5 miles. If no one is there... no one is there. You have done your part.

So as far as a 90 day waiver application to fly here during Class G hours is not necessary - call, no answer, unfold props?

So as far as a 90 day waiver application to fly here during Class G hours is not necessary - call, no answer, unfold props?
If you make the call and no answer, you could fly. A tip - maintain a logbook and document the flight, date and time and the fact you called and there was no answer. Once you get your 107 you don't have to call during class G operations.

Now consider that DJI's geolock will more than likely not recognize the airspace going from D to G so more than likely you will have to get an unlock from DJI providing you're located in their Geolock zone

Since 336 and the five mile rule are gone, is after hours class G open?

Does it actually require part 107? If it goes from surface airspace to G is it still under the surface limit and is the difference between recreational and part 107?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580