DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Europe (especially Spain)

Mike_in_Letcombe

Reactions
I have read countless reports how certain EU countries are very 'anti-drone' and some have banned them completely. I was planning on taking my Mavic to Menorca later this year, to fly near the coastal path, well away from beaches / people / property. But I am reading on many sites that Spain have practically banned UAVs unless you get permission to fly first - which is not given lightly. It appears they 'cracked down' on even hobby flyers about 2014 or 2015. Has anyone had experience of taking a drone to Spain? Problems with customs? (Mine would be correctly stored, in hand luggage and with LIPO safe bags, etc.) Problems with flying in Spain? Anyone who's had experience of using a drone (especially Mavic); your comments / thoughts would be appreciated. I don't want to find that sticking to their (stringent) rules can still result in a confiscated toy, probably then boxed for little Juan next Christmas....

I posted a reply on this very topic on another thread just this morning. Have a search it should be easy to find.

I've taken a Phantom 3 Pro in to Mallorca/Majorca in 2015, and 2016 without problems. For one thing if you travel within the EU there is very little 'customs' to speak of. The only point to really worry about is security checks when leaving but on both occasions I had no problems. I haven't researched it since my trip last year but I do know their privacy laws extend to not flying over private property etc, which to be honest is a common courtesy that should be used everywhere. I flew mine over mountains, quiet beaches and at one point from the far end of a marina and did not have any issues.

Last edited:
I have the same doubts, I'll travel to Interlaken (Switzerland), Milano, Bologna and Budapest. Does anybody know how drone flights is being treated around those places?

http://www.seguridadaerea.gob.es/media/4427085/recomendaciones_uso_drones.pdf will tell you the basic regulations for Spain which are similar to most other countries.

IcarusRPA - SKYDRONEX - DRONEX [emoji768] will show you the restricted and prohibited areas and controlled airspace. Menorca looks OK in the North but not the South.

There's a bit of confusion because I think around 2014 (before I moved to Spain or owned a drone) there was a period when the law became much more restrictive but now it's not particularly so and provided you take care to educate yourself on the local regulations first you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, and I know this won't go down well with some people and I don't particularly like it myself, but my approach if stopped by the police when flying in a legal area would not be to assert my rights but rather to explain that what I was doing was legal, offer information such as the AESA leaflet and IcarusRPA map, but still offer to stop and move on if they insisted simply because being in the right isn't going to help you if your mavic is languishing in a Spanish police station while you have to go home.

Last edited:
http://www.seguridadaerea.gob.es/media/4427085/recomendaciones_uso_drones.pdf will tell you the basic regulations for Spain which are similar to most other countries.

IcarusRPA - SKYDRONEX - DRONEX [emoji768] will show you the restricted and prohibited areas and controlled airspace. Menorca looks OK in the North but not the South.

There's a bit of confusion because I think around 2014 (before I moved to Spain or owned a drone) there was a period when the law became much more restrictive but now it's not particularly so and provided you take care to educate yourself on the local regulations first you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, and I know this won't go down well with some people and I don't particularly like it myself, but my approach if stopped by the police when flying in a legal area would not be to assert my rights but rather to explain that what I was doing was legal, offer information such as the AESA leaflet and IcarusRPA map, but still offer to stop and move on if they insisted simply because being in the right isn't going to help you if your mavic is languishing in a Spanish police station while you have to go home.

Hi Boris

I looked at the map link and Barcelona is all yellow. I'm going to barcelona in 2 weeks. Can I fly there in very low altitude to get riding bicycle shots etc. Nothing too fancy. Or is Barcelona out of the question? I'm getting the Mavin this week and my first Drone. Dont want to lose it a week into ownership.

I have the same doubts, I'll travel to Interlaken (Switzerland), Milano, Bologna and Budapest. Does anybody know how drone flights is being treated around those places?
Switzerland and Italy should be no problem. Heard some rumours regarding Budapest recently so looked it up. Here is what the Budapest Airport website says: Frequently asked questions about security

Just make sure to always check with the airlines though.

@
LucasMroczkowski
A bit late but perhaps for other people will be useful. I have a Mavic and I fly in and around ABrcelona. Its hard tho, as soon as people see it they get super excited and wanna see, touch and stuff. Overall police are OK with it as long as you seem safe to people around you.
Good Luck
S

Great read! Europe in general has common regulations and rules. Please correct me if im wrong. Do we have a forum where links are provided for each EU countries' UAV rules?

TIA guys!

Im back from my trip. I droned around Barcelona and in Copenhagen. I was in that tourist, street of colorful buildings, area which also had lots of people sitting at outside restaurant. I walked up to a cop and asked if drones are ok and all he told me was "we don't yet know the official rules regarding drones so I can't tell you anything." I pulled out my Mavic and played all over the place without consequences. Yes people pointed and stared etc. Barcelona was the same deal with pointing and asking questions. I was more sneaky since folks kept warning me about consequences. Anyways, i got away with all kinds of shots in Barcelona although I wasn't using it in central city full of cops and people. I was filming at cathedrals, high points away form central of Barcelona.

Reactions: Gray52
can anyone shine a light on how the dark red areas apply to drones on these maps of Tenerife? (IcarusRPA - SKYDRONEX - DRONEX ®). Specifically the area of Parque Rural de Teno y Reserva Natural especial de Chinyero - Sector A/B. this is regarding non-commercial flights.

Last edited:
Forget about flying your Mavic in Urban areas. Unless you keep hidden, no problem occurs, nobody notices you, etc. etc.
Unfortunately nothing is really cleared out as lwas for UAVs.
In Italy you are not allowed to fly over cities and crowded zones.
The rest is up to you. Fly consciously.

Saludos,
Mars

Im back from my trip. I droned around Barcelona and in Copenhagen. I was in that tourist, street of colorful buildings, area which also had lots of people sitting at outside restaurant. I walked up to a cop and asked if drones are ok and all he told me was "we don't yet know the official rules regarding drones so I can't tell you anything." I pulled out my Mavic and played all over the place without consequences. Yes people pointed and stared etc. Barcelona was the same deal with pointing and asking questions. I was more sneaky since folks kept warning me about consequences. Anyways, i got away with all kinds of shots in Barcelona although I wasn't using it in central city full of cops and people. I was filming at cathedrals, high points away form central of Barcelona.

Will be in Barcelona in a few weeks along with Madrid and Toleda, any recommendations on spots that you flew around at?

@
LucasMroczkowski
A bit late but perhaps for other people will be useful. I have a Mavic and I fly in and around ABrcelona. Its hard tho, as soon as people see it they get super excited and wanna see, touch and stuff. Overall police are OK with it as long as you seem safe to people around you.
Good Luck
S

Will be in Barcelona in a few weeks, any recommendations on areas to fly around at? Also visiting Madrid and Toledo. From the maps looks like Toledo is fine to fly around. Are the police OK with flying in Madrid if you seems safe and are not around people?

flew around los gigantes and masca on tenerife last week. no issues. away from people and buildings of course at all times. no cops, no guardia civil in sight.

Hi I plan on buying a Mavic pro for my trip to Spain where I will be flying into Alicante airport with it in my hand lunge. I feel confident on get it from the UK's customs to Spain, as far as I am aware they don’t scan coming into the country, but was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Spain's customs leaving the country with a drone?

Last edited:
Hi I plan on buying a Mavic pro for my trip to Spain where I will be flying into Alicante airport with it in my hand lunge. I feel confident on get it from the UK's customs to Spain, as far as I am aware they don’t scan coming into the country, but was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Spain's customs leaving the country with a drone?

I've flown out of Spain twice carrying a Phantom 3 in my carry on, no issues with airport security.

Generally the Spanish don't mind what you are doing as long as you don't piss anyone off. Airport security are not going to be a problem and unless you fly near a sensitive area, you will get more questions than criticism.

If in doubt ask any visible officials and take their advice.

I will be in Europe this Summer. Flying in to Madrid. I would want to be able to carry on my Mavic. Are there any problems I should be aware of while passing through airport security in European countries. Namely France, Spain, Italy?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143