DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Flying In From NorCal' - new drone pilot, Mini SE

TridentFlyer

Reactions
Hello fellow drone pilots,
I resisted getting a drone for years, but I finally caved and got the Mini SE. Why? I have a few things that I wanted to be able to do with it;
  • aerial views of properties I own
  • have some fun
  • aerial views of landmarks in my area
  • have some more fun
  • pretend I am superman 🦸‍♂️
I love what I read and see about the Mavic 3 Pro, but my wallet loved the SE - go figure!? Honestly, I do not think that the 3 Pro is all that expensive for what you get, but if I didn't like flying a drone, then it becomes an exceedingly expensive paperweight.

I did take (and pass, haha) the TRUST test, and I even registered my drone. Mostly because I wanted to have an official 'tail number' or N-number like a real aircraft, uh, I mean, a real 'manned' aircraft. :p

Regarding VLOS - I find it difficult to see my drone, in general, after about 400-500 feet in distance away, not altitude ('cause I am not supposed to go above 400 feet). But I have gone straight up to 400 feet AGL and can still see the drone. If I take my eyes off it for a moment, it is difficult to find it again. QUESTION: Is there a color that you have found that is easier to see your drone? I know there are skins that are fairly bright, solid colors. Any tips you have to improve visibility of a drone, happy to consider them.

Thanks,
TridentFlyer

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hello from the Crossroads of America TridentFlyer.

I use strobes day or night that helps in locating it.

A lot of my flights are below the tree line and the drone disappeared without the strobes.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new drone!

I would recommend a strobe light set rather then a “skin”. Although, I am sure other forum members have more experience with the skins than I do.

Good luck to you!
Ya, I was thinking a strobe would be good - there is one that looks pretty good to mount on the bottom so that no matter what direction I am flying, I 'should' be able to see it.

LUCORB Drone Strobe Light T1​

Great recommendation - lots of trees around here, and it easily gets 'lost' in that kind of background. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

I resisted getting a drone for years, but I finally caved and got the Mini SE.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

Congrats on the proactivity on the TRUST and the Registration…

I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Flyer.

Since you live in California, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check to ensure these are current.

Now, for some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini SE, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hello fellow drone pilots,
I resisted getting a drone for years, but I finally caved and got the Mini SE. Why? I have a few things that I wanted to be able to do with it;
  • aerial views of properties I own
  • have some fun
  • aerial views of landmarks in my area
  • have some more fun
  • pretend I am superman 🦸‍♂️
I love what I read and see about the Mavic 3 Pro, but my wallet loved the SE - go figure!? Honestly, I do not think that the 3 Pro is all that expensive for what you get, but if I didn't like flying a drone, then it becomes an exceedingly expensive paperweight.

I did take (and pass, haha) the TRUST test, and I even registered my drone. Mostly because I wanted to have an official 'tail number' or N-number like a real aircraft, uh, I mean, a real 'manned' aircraft. :p

Regarding VLOS - I find it difficult to see my drone, in general, after about 400-500 feet in distance away, not altitude ('cause I am not supposed to go above 400 feet). But I have gone straight up to 400 feet AGL and can still see the drone. If I take my eyes off it for a moment, it is difficult to find it again. QUESTION: Is there a color that you have found that is easier to see your drone? I know there are skins that are fairly bright, solid colors. Any tips you have to improve visibility of a drone, happy to consider them.

Thanks,
TridentFlyer
Put a strobe on your -SE, and you'll be able to see it a great deal further. My favorite is the Firehouse Arc V strobe, but there are cheaper alternatives. You can mount the strobe on the back of the battery cover.

I know it doesn't impact the flight characteristics of the -SE, because my -SE flies the same way after I put the strobe on.

And on a clear day, I can see forever...

:cool:

You've got your choice of Bright Yellow and International Orange the most visible colors. 3M RETRO-REFLECTIVE TAPE.. like they put on life jackets might help. Mirror mylar is also an option.
In A BRIGHT SKY.. CONTRAST is probably important.
I just bought a mini 1.. the P.O. had put a "wrap" on it.. which is extremely slick and well done.. but Olive Drab. If you can imagine .. this must have been pre-cut or something because event the DJI logo on top is perfectly revealed. no idea how much weight this adds ?

The range of these things far exceeds line of sight... and frankly if it didn't, I wouldn't buy one.

I just bought a mini 1.. the P.O. had put a "wrap" on it.. which is extremely slick and well done.. but Olive Drab.

I have seen so many cool wraps, especially in camouflage, but if they should drop the drone in the woods, grass, or trees, how are they ever going to find it… The "Find my Drone" is only so accurate and the squeak is only so loud and if you have to come back at a later time to search for your drone and the battery died or the drone shut itself down, it's playing hide and seek and I hope you have your Flyaway Insurance up to date… Strobes are Good!!!

Reactions: TridentFlyer
Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo