DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in hot conditions

Josiah S

Reactions
Hello. Here in Haiti it has been getting pretty hot lately. Mid to high 90s. I was wondering if I have to worry about my Mavic Air 2 overheating? The battery? Motors? The battery gets about 50ish Celsius and the motors get quite warm to almost hot. I didn’t think brushless motors were supposed to get hot. I just don’t want my Mavic overheating in mid flight and landing. Also I just got a second battery and I was wondering if it is safe to fly both back to back or let everything cool in between. I am currently letting everything cool before finishing the second battery. Thanks for your replies.

Ok. That makes me feel much better. Is it normal for the motors to get warm/hot?

Be careful about storing the batteries in a hot environment, especially if they are fully charged. They are known to start swelling under high temperature conditions, which makes them unsuitable for further flying use in your drone.

Reactions: Jriley
This from the manual ...

1615663155052.png

And motors are only too hot ... if they are so hot that you can't hold them without burning yourself. That the motors get warm flying in mid 90's... is normal.

Reactions: Thomas B and Dbez1
75 percent of my flying is done just at home. Unless we are going somewhere I just leave my drone unfolded on a table and my battery’s out in open air to keep them as cool as possible.

75 percent of my flying is done just at home. Unless we are going somewhere I just leave my drone unfolded on a table and my battery’s out in open air to keep them as cool as possible.
As a rule of thumb, battery storage should be in room temperature 20-25C (68-77F)

Oh...? we don’t have any air conditioning... it’s usually hotter inside than outside. The only time the temp would get that low is at night...

Oh...? we don’t have any air conditioning... it’s usually hotter inside than outside. The only time the temp would get that low is at night...
It's a rule of thumb ... if slightly warmer no disaster ... but storing them in temps WAY outside that span isn't healthy for them.

Good practice for Lithium-based batteries (like the ones in the MA2):
  • charge a few hours ahead of flight time so they can cool down before flight
  • don't charge them again until they cool down from previous flight
Basically, you don't want to charge "hot" or store "full".
Happy trails...

Normally it is much warmer inside than outside... I just checked the thermometer, it says it’s 93 outside and 83 inside so I guess that isn’t to much hotter. Sometimes it does get past 90 inside though.? you can’t escape the heat!!

Ok, I guess I was just being a worry wart. I think I’ll feel much better flying on very hot temps now. It only gets hotter at this time of the year. What is the max temp that you can fly in??

Ok, I guess I was just being a worry wart. I think I’ll feel much better flying on very hot temps now. It only gets hotter at this time of the year. What is the max temp that you can fly in??
Its not the drone you need to be worrying about , buy your phone, I pad, ect. that is the weak link so my Iphone is a bum at 90 plus .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: Josiah S
Ya, I have to use my dads phone most of the time because my iPhone 6 gets cpu errors, even at 70 degrees. It’s a big pain. I think I’ll try putting a new battery in it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My only issue in heat reaching 100F has been my device. I was running a full sized android tablet and that got really hot and rebooted if I was out in the elements too long. Scary if you are over or near water and your battery is getting low.

I'm running a different tablet now and take care in keeping my controller and myself more comfortable whenever possible.

Don't worry. I live in a tropical island (south of Haiti) and weather is most of the time 30-31 degrees Celsius. Not problem at all.
Just handle your batteries with care as mentioned in replies before.

I won't fly my heavier drones (Mav2Pro/Zoom/EVO2) in temps above 95 F. I live in south florida. I periodically check the internal battery temps as well. If they get near 130F I wont flyy longer. I have had batteries get swollen at these high temps. Once swollen, they become unpredictable and can crash your drone. The lighter drones (mini1 &2) and (mav2air) I will fly in outdoor temps up to 105 F degrees. The lighter drones just don't seem to get as hot. I never had an issue with the smaller , lighter drones, but have had problems with the heavier drones, They are under more heat stress due to their weight. Also, about the phones and the controller, keep them out of the sun on hot days, they can malfunction.

Hello. Here in Haiti it has been getting pretty hot lately. Mid to high 90s. I was wondering if I have to worry about my Mavic Air 2 overheating? The battery? Motors? The battery gets about 50ish Celsius and the motors get quite warm to almost hot. I didn’t think brushless motors were supposed to get hot. I just don’t want my Mavic overheating in mid flight and landing. Also I just got a second battery and I was wondering if it is safe to fly both back to back or let everything cool in between. I am currently letting everything cool before finishing the second battery. Thanks for your replies.
I was also concerned about battery temperatures in warmer climates so I contacted DJI and this is what their reply was, I still have the email from last year.

"Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your concern with Mavic Air 2 battery temperature. Allow me to assist you with the best of my knowledge.

For this one, please be advised that Mavic Air 2 maximum battery temperature while flying is 80°C. I hope this information helps and if not please let us know right away so that we can assist you accordingly".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji