DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in hot weather

ayoldguy1

Reactions
So it's 90 degrees outside where I live today. Is it advisable to avoid flying? Thx

Nah go for it. Your tab may overheat. I had an Ipad Mini 2 shutdown once but it was outside all day in 90 plus temps.

Here I Africa, I almost have >90f or >35c and both my Mavic's don't like. Video is scrappy, controls are scrappy and my iPhone and iPad get hotter then good for them. I usually take my timeline footage in the morning or late afternoon

Reactions: timsco60
Best advice I could give would to be moving forward and keep hovering to a minimum. Our little drones like air moving over them.

flown in 90 plus with only issue being iphone shutting down from heat, only advice is protect that iphone (i was 3 kilos out when mine shut down lol)

i flew the Mavic everyday for a week in 90 plus it was fine.

I tend to fly very early in the morning or at night. Not because I don't think the Mavic will be ok. But during the summer here 117 degree days are common and I dont like being out in it! There is a reason I work at night :)

Reactions: payam
I tend to fly very early in the morning or at night. Not because I don't think the Mavic will be ok. But during the summer here 117 degree days are common and I dont like being out in it! There is a reason I work at night :)
Have you tested flying in the over 100-degree days in Vegas by any chance? If so, was there any issues?

I haven't flown it during the day with the temp above 100 yet. I have flown it at night and in the mornings with the temp still pretty close to 100. The heat sink and lower sides of the Mavic get pretty hot but I have yet to see any performance issues.

Reactions: payam
I keep a beach umbrella and a few bungee cords in my truck. I found an aluminium constructed umbrella that doest hurt my signal or compass.
IT sure does help a lot!!! I always have some shade to stand or sit in.

Reactions: Rbruz and Barabus
Tonight after flying I brought it inside to make some camera adjustments. I had it hovering inside for a couple of minutes. I noticed that the temperature on the bottom and lower sides was a lot cooler. It surprised me it cooled so quickly. So I think I am going to make this a regular practice now to hover it inside after flying in the heat before I put it away. I think the air conditioned air blowing over it will be better in the long run as opposed to putting it away hot.

Reactions: Rbruz
I hold a damp sponge with my fingers behind my iPhone to keep it cool. It keeps the iPhone cool and the video smooth. Still hard as hell to see the screen in the sun though.

Yeah that's my question too, it's 110- 115F here in Vegas and It's way to hot that I feel miserable flying.... I want to fly from car to have AC on just afraid about inference may happen.... and scared my drone may over heat

Yeah that's my question too, it's 110- 115F here in Vegas and It's way to hot that I feel miserable flying.... I want to fly from car to have AC on just afraid about inference may happen.... and scared my drone may over heat
I'd rather go to Mt. Charleston and fly it, instead of risking it here in the city.

I'll be in Las Vegas next week. Good places to fly. I'm staying in Summerlin. Thanks.

I took mine up to Mt. Charleston about a month ago. It was real nice up there.

110f here yesterday at 5:40pm, 104f here now which I don't fly in considering 104f is the max dji recommends
I have only been flying at sunrise lately which has been around 80f-85f.
I'd say 90f is safe as long as you monitor battery temp and let the bird cool down a little between batteries
f43721d9ed60e1ca7e4f4c421b7ad6f2.jpg

At least its not 116 like it has been lately :p
I live in Barstow, which has been over 110f for a few weeks, we went to Vegas on 6-17-17 , passing through Baker
On the world's tallest thermometer it said it was 120f! By the time we got to Vegas it was already getting dark but still hot! So yeah I definitely believe you when you say it was 117f if not hotter! [emoji27]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa