DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Kauai, Hawaii

Size13

Reactions
Hi All,

Trying to decide if I want to take my Mavic with me to Kauai in a week or so.

Any cool places to fly? I don’t know if it’s worth it to take it with me or not. Especially if there aren’t many places I can fly without getting people mad. :) if it’s more of a hassle, I’ll just leave it home.

Thoughts?

I think you should take it. It’s small enough with hand luggage, so no big deal there. Plus you’ll kick yourself if you didn’t & found some great locations to fly.

Can’t help with cool places to fly, never been to Kauai.

Again like I’ve said in previous posts, I love the size of it for travelling.. sooo compact;)

Kauai is amazing! By all means bring it and dont worry so much about other people getting mad. Just use your tools - B4UFLY , UAV Forecast, DJI Online Geofencing Website to determine areas that are Fly Zones and not NO Fly Zones.

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it as they say.

I bought the Mavic Air specifically for Kauai... how was your trip OP?

My trip was great. I wish I spent more time flying than I did, but with my wife and 2 kids (10 & 13), my parents, and my inlaws, I just didn't have enough me time to do all the flying in all the places I wanted.

I bought the Mavic Air specifically for Kauai... how was your trip OP?

My trip was great. I wish I spent more time flying than I did, but with my wife and 2 kids (10 & 13), my parents, and my inlaws, I just didn't have enough me time to do all the flying in all the places I wanted.
Did you go to Polihale or Kalalau Lookout?

I know this thread is getting old, but Kauai isn’t going anywhere. So how did you guys like flying there? I’ve been to Kauai a few times over the last several years, but didn’t have a drone yet, then. Now I’m headed back and will try flying spots I know well, and are okay to fly per Air Map.

Polihale (north of Barking Sands...NFZ) is actually a great beach where locals drive their vehicles on the sand. This place is in the southern part of the fabled views of the Na Pali Coast, so I’d imagine the aerial views are spectacular.

EB8C5198-FAC4-4615-9D32-44AAB42BE128.jpeg

Kalalau has the majestic views of Na Pali Coast from way above, about an hour drive up the extinct volcano from Polihale. The strong trade winds from that altitude may wreak havoc on my Mini, but I’ll plan to head up in the morning.

45FD8A74-3BCC-4D9A-92D0-89FFE1FAF78E.jpeg

On the east side of Kauai, the only NFZ appears to be the restricted area around Lihue Airport. Although this means we can’t fly the Wailua River up to the Fern Grotto, there are still awesome coastal and valley views that need some flying over, some aerial videos made, and some awe-inspiring photos to be shot. I cannot Princeville isn’t a NFZ, although I’m guessing there is a no fly policy, whether posted or not. It’s okay, there’s still other parts of Hanalei Bay and town to fly above!

Please share some views, as I will, too...eventually. Mahalo!

I know this thread is getting old, but Kauai isn’t going anywhere. So how did you guys like flying there? I’ve been to Kauai a few times over the last several years, but didn’t have a drone yet, then. Now I’m headed back and will try flying spots I know well, and are okay to fly per Air Map.

Polihale (north of Barking Sands...NFZ) is actually a great beach where locals drive their vehicles on the sand. This place is in the southern part of the fabled views of the Na Pali Coast, so I’d imagine the aerial views are spectacular.

View attachment 91180

Kalalau has the majestic views of Na Pali Coast from way above, about an hour drive up the extinct volcano from Polihale. The strong trade winds from that altitude may wreak havoc on my Mini, but I’ll plan to head up in the morning.

View attachment 91179

On the east side of Kauai, the only NFZ appears to be the restricted area around Lihue Airport. Although this means we can’t fly the Wailua River up to the Fern Grotto, there are still awesome coastal and valley views that need some flying over, some aerial videos made, and some awe-inspiring photos to be shot. I cannot Princeville isn’t a NFZ, although I’m guessing there is a no fly policy, whether posted or not. It’s okay, there’s still other parts of Hanalei Bay and town to fly above!

Please share some views, as I will, too...eventually. Mahalo!
@pelagic_one when are you taking your trip or have you already gone? I’m headed that way in late Feb and trying to get some flight plans together. Very interested in how your flying goes/went.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! Please say hello and introduce yourself on the Pilot Check In section.

I’m still planning my trip back there, probably after the craziness of spring break, so I’m thinking May at this point. I have business on Oahu next month, too, so I might do a quick jaunt to Kauai if time allows.

Please share some shots & video on that part of the forum when you’re back from your trip. I’m sure many will be grateful for the visual respite.

Last edited:
Hi all...I’m in Kaua’i now. Went to got to, not allowed to fly in state parks. Been very windy here in Lihue, but I’m in a NFZ due to the airport. Heading to Waimea Canyon tomorrow, but can’t fly in park so will try to find a spot just before I enter. Up to Princeville next week

Reactions: MavicPeter
Got to the canyon today. Super windy. Way to high to fly my mm.
Tried to stop at so,e stops before the mile 6 marker on why 550. But way too many cars and people. May try again during the week and not on a weekend.

Did see this sign in all the lookout points. No Drone.

IMG_7224.JPG

Did see this sign in all the lookout points. No Drone.

Ouch! I must’ve ignored those signs when I was there last year, probably because I didn’t have a drone with me that trip.

There are dirt pull-out spots to park all the way up the canyon, so a quick walk through the vegetation may get you a great launching spot. Just don’t fly near the lookout points with all those fellow tourists.

Also, the tour helicopters have a pretty fixed route up the mountain/volcano, which is way across the canyon from the side you drive up. You may still want to watch their route for a few minutes, to confirm.

@BLACK314: Did you try flying around Hanalei Bay on the north side? I’m guessing there’s a No Drone sign at the entrance to the Na Pali Coast hiking trail, but the beach might still be empty and flyable on an early weekday morning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo