DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Prohibited Airspace

Milo187

Reactions
I'm working on trying to get authorization to fly in Prohibited Airspace. It's located in Class G but within P-67 near the Bush Compound in Maine. A realtor wants me to get footage of a property in that area. It looks like AirMap won't give me an auth code and I've tried to submit an old school request but because it took to long and you can't put in a date range any longer it was auto cancelled by the system once my date passed.
I thought that was the end of it until I sent an email via DroneZone asking for help and I actually got a call back from someone from the FAA in DC! I couldn't believe it and had a great conversation with him but he was also not sure if it was possible. He's checking into it further. Part of the story is that other realtors in the area have used drone footage and received permission from the local Secret Service contingent there. Yes I know they don't have jurisdiction of the airspace but from what I've heard they really don't care unless you're doing something stupid like flying around, over or very near the compound.
My question to the forum is has anyone been able to launch from a Prohibited Zone with a DJI drone? I live some distance from the site so I can't test myself so I'm hoping someone has tried. The reason I ask is that if I can get authorization from an FAA Official and the Secret Service will the drone allow me to fly by answering the simple DJI prompts? Maybe they'll just give me a code as AirMap does but I have no idea what to expect.
Thanks for any constructive information!

Reactions: SirLancelot
It really depends on what DJI's map classifies the area. It has no relationship with FAA's system (LAANC or otherwise) so give it a try.

Oddly DJI's map doesn't appear to show any prohibited areas in that area.

Also surprised P-67 is still listed since GHWB died almost a year ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.54.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.54.12 AM.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Milo187
Oddly DJI's map doesn't appear to show any prohibited areas in that area.

Also surprised P-67 is still listed since GHWB died almost a year ago.
Thanks for the info Dawg! It will continue to be prohibited until JR no longer uses it or it’s sold which is unlikely anytime soon.
I’m still holding for an official FAA ruling in writing but from them but it sounds like the software won’t prevent it which is good. My local FSDO has already admitted to me that they don’t have the resources to police anything short of a serious infraction so I’m feeling that I can pull this off.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Update. Spoke with DC FAA again today and they tell me that P-67 may go away soon but still in effect. They gave me a phone number to the FAA's System Operations Support Center (SOSC) saying they will send me forms to fill out to request special permission. Looking at this link this doesn’t seem right since this is meant for pretty serious stuff but will see how this goes. I also spoke with the local Secret Service and they said just keep away from the Bush home and let them know when I take off and land.

At least this is progress and I’m so surprised someone from the FAA actually responded quickly which means they’re actually taking drone pilots seriously!

Reactions: Thomas B
Update. Spoke with DC FAA again today and they tell me that P-67 may go away soon but still in effect. They gave me a phone number to the FAA's System Operations Support Center (SOSC) saying they will send me forms to fill out to request special permission. Looking at this link this doesn’t seem right since this is meant for pretty serious stuff but will see how this goes. I also spoke with the local Secret Service and they said just keep away from the Bush home and let them know when I take off and land.

At least this is progress and I’m so surprised someone from the FAA actually responded quickly which means they’re actually taking drone pilots seriously!

Thanks for the update. It's useful info for anyone who might need to do a similar flight in the future!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada