DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Scotland and Ireland

blaircm

Reactions
Am headed to Ireland and Scotland in June. Their drone regs are a bit confusing. Under 250g is ok but if it has a camera you need to register and take a test. I have a DJI mini 2 which is <250g. Has anyone flown in Scotland or Ireland recently? Thank you.

There are two parts to the island of Ireland, they are completely separate jurisdictions, Northern Ireland is in the UK same as Scotland, England and Wales.

Eire is a separate country with EU drone rules.

Which bit of the Island of Ireland are you going to?

Hi Blair. You will have to register both yourself via the CAA website (£9.00 i think) to cover you throughout UK and Northern Ireland. Don't know the requirements for Eire, sorry.

There are two parts to the island of Ireland, they are completely separate jurisdictions, Northern Ireland is in the UK same as Scotland, England and Wales.

Eire is a separate country with EU drone rules.

Which bit of the Island of Ireland are you going to?
Heading to Dublin and southern Ireland so not UK but EU.

If you can and if it is your 'thing' try the Gap of Dunloe, Cliffs of Moher and Slieve League, on shore winds ONLY lol .

Check this thread for details on registering and regulations in Ireland.

Am headed to Ireland and Scotland in June. Their drone regs are a bit confusing. Under 250g is ok but if it has a camera you need to register and take a test. I have a DJI mini 2 which is <250g. Has anyone flown in Scotland or Ireland recently? Thank you.
I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so cost prohibitive. Seems like you would have to get corporate backing to afford to fly outside your own Country.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so cost prohibitive. Seems like you would have to get corporate backing to afford to fly outside your own Country.
How so? I paid $33 for the test and certification in Ireland. Later I found out that France offers it free, and in both French and English. The certificate is good for all EU nations and several other non-member European countries.

I just looked at the current regs. . to fly commercially its 349 pounds just to license and about the same to register the drone that's almost $900 us dollars. I would gladly spend $33 if it were that cheap.

I just looked at the current regs. . to fly commercially its 349 pounds just to license and about the same to register the drone that's almost $900 us dollars. I would gladly spend $33 if it were that cheap.
What country? Since you mentioned pounds, I'm guessing that you're looking at Great Britain.

Are you looking at the national aviation authority of a company that provides registration services. There are services that will submit the forms on your behalf and charge a substantial additional fee on top of the actual fees.

My recreational registration/licensing in Ireland was $33 a few months ago. I didn't consider commercial.

Had a great visit in Scotland last December!
Amazing and beautiful country!
Took along Air2S which I had registered with UK CAA per their reg.
Had a few wonderful scenic flights, landmarks, castles, mountains.
Cannot speak to Ireland Rep.
Have a wonderful trip!

7ptnWO1.jpg

Reactions: MS Coast
What country? Since you mentioned pounds, I'm guessing that you're looking at Great Britain.

Are you looking at the national aviation authority of a company that provides registration services. There are services that will submit the forms on your behalf and charge a substantial additional fee on top of the actual fees.

My recreational registration/licensing in Ireland was $33 a few months ago. I didn't consider commercial.
Taking off for Scotland in a few days and wanted to have the option but hear horror stories about customs keeping the drone and supply's/control etc. Not going to take the chance.

Taking off for Scotland in a few days and wanted to have the option but hear horror stories about customs keeping the drone and supply's/control etc. Not going to take the chance.

on my trip last november, never any customs issue or other control problem.
maybe i was lucky.
have a great trip!

any recent cell phone camera will do great; try your skills and take pics in Raw mode!
also try a few videos.
naturally include landmarks and direction signs so you can recall where pics were taken!

nGgk33B.jpg

Cannot speak to Ireland Rep.
Ireland, N & S, as in the island of, offers some wonderful scenery.
Not on the grand scale of the Alps or Rockies but in its own way, beautiful.
I did the Gap of Dunloe and Cliffs of Moher 40 odd years ago and it was spectacular, with a drone it would be even better.
As far as I remember there wasn't a paved road through the Gap of Dunloe then and I think it would have ben impassable to a normal road car but there have been threads here or the DJI forum showing a paved road now.
naturally include landmarks and direction signs so you can recall where pics were taken!

Switch the recording of GPS data on in the EXIF data of stills.
If you are shooting video with a drone etc. you can invetigate the logs and fins out when & where the drone recording and in which direction it was facing.
Or, App etc. permitting, switch on subtitles, that records telemetry to an SRT file that accompanies the video. The likes of VLC can play the video and display the telelmetry.

I do not know if there is an equivalent to EXIF data for video

Last edited:
Ireland, N & S, as in the island of, offers some wonderful scenery.
Not on the grand scale of the Alps or Rockies but in its own way, beautiful.
I did the Gap of Dunloe and Cliffs of Moher 40 odd years ago and it was spectacular, with a drone it would be even better.
As far as I remember there wasn't a paved road through the Gap of Dunloe then and I think it would have ben impassable to a normal road car but there have been threads here or the DJI forum showing a paved road now.

Switch the recording of GPS data on in the EXIF data of stills.
If you are shooting video with a drone etc. you can invetigate the logs and fins out when & where the drone recording and in which direction it was facing.
Or, App etc. permitting, switch on subtitles, that records telemetry to an SRT file that accompanies the video. The likes of VLC can play the video and display the telelmetry.

I do not know if there is an equivalent to EXIF data for video
Fortunately, my Wife bought me a gift of some Cell Phone lenses a couple years ago that will fit neatly into my backpack and through TSA that clamp onto my phone. This is our 2nd trip in 3 years to Europe. The first time we went to London, Scotland, Ireland and France. We loved Scotland so much we decided to spend two weeks simply traveling all over Scotland (My Ancestry is mostly there). We land in Inverness in a couple days and will take the rail over to Aberdeen and then make our way all across the middle and to the West Coast to Skye and back. Looking forward to it and spending time in my Families past . Thanks for the tips. We loved the Royal Tatoo at Edinburgh and it's something I will never forget.

Get some midge suits if you are going walk about lol or you may be drunk dry, they are blooming annoying even if not vampires.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf