DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in state forests in NY

balkanwolfy

Reactions
Hello all, I’m a mavic mini pilot. I do occasional flying at cool spots I see and try and make sure it’s all legal and safe. I know in NY state parks are out of the question without permit and also know that national parks are off limits completely. My understanding is that national forests and state forests are safe to do so as long as staying away from designated wilderness areas and protected areas. Am I under the correct assumption? Can someone with more experience clear it up for me? Thank you so much. Also if anyone can recommend some good flying spots I’d be super grateful, I’m located in Centra New York.

As posted on the other place you asked...
You are correct in regards to National Forests. State laws vary so check locally fo those.
Here’s a start:
Also check the NOTAMS on the FAA site.

As posted on the other place you asked...
You are correct in regards to National Forests. State laws vary so check locally fo those.
Here’s a start:

Thanks. I read all those resources. I’m just trying to see if anyone with ny state experience or that knows the state forests laws can clarify for me. The link you provided only specifies state parks and recreation areas. Not state forests. Thanks

Hey! Fellow CNYer here. I guess if there's no law or regulation saying you can't fly in a state forest, it's fair game, right?

Just stay out of the state parks and adirondacks. Chittenango Falls State Park can be flown into legally from outside the park if you have a bigger drone that you can maintain VLOS on from farther away.

Here’s a start:

Hello new to the forum. Glad that I checked in he here because I was wondering where I could find drone law in NY. Thanks Thomas for the link.

Hey! Fellow CNYer here. I guess if there's no law or regulation saying you can't fly in a state forest, it's fair game, right?

Just stay out of the state parks and adirondacks. Chittenango Falls State Park can be flown into legally from outside the park if you have a bigger drone that you can maintain VLOS on from farther away.
Unless something has changed very recently there is no problem launching a UAV in any part of the Adirondacks where motor vehicles are allowed. This would exclude "wilderness" and "primitive" areas.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
Unless something has changed very recently there is no problem launching a UAV in any part of the Adirondacks where motor vehicles are allowed. This would exclude "wilderness" and "primitive" areas.
I agree with this. I often fly in NY state "Wild Forests" with no issues. "Wilderness" areas are no motorized vehicle areas so you can't fly there - but - some wilderness areas are adjacent to main roads, so you *can* fly over the wilderness area if you are launching from the side of the road.

Common sense should prevail as well. I won't fly over the wilderness near a crowded trail head on a weekend, why bother people and have someone complain? If I want that shot, I'll go on a weekday when there aren't many hikers around.

Another rule of thumb, with regards to the Adirondacks, if you can drive your vehicle somewhere, you can fly there (of course, that does not include state parks, regulated airspace, local restrictions, temporary restrictions, etc.)

Also note along the western boundary of the Adirondacks, there are several Military Operations Areas (MOAs) so you may or may not be able to fly in those, check AirMap or the like and NOTAMs for restrictions before you go.

Reactions: Mrmund
I'm maintaining a list of Upstate NY drone flying locations near scenic points of interest, with easy access. I've verified most of these as being either public (state) land, or parks that have no posted drone restrictions.

Reactions: taboo8614
I'm maintaining a list of Upstate NY drone flying locations near scenic points of interest, with easy access. I've verified most of these as being either public (state) land, or parks that have no posted drone restrictions.

Excellent! I have been searching for exactly what you put together! I can't thank you enough!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone