DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying In The Rain?

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
Does anyone normally fly in the rain? My main concern for this is the weight of the rain suit and if there is water going inside the gimbal. Does anyone else fly a Mavic mini in the rain?

Reactions: Gagey52
Does anyone normally fly in the rain? My main concern for this is the weight of the rain suit and if there is water going inside the gimbal. Does anyone else fly a Mavic mini in the rain?
No I don’t , I think that water ingress will definitely damage your drone, cheers Len

the type of drones we fly are not IP rated and if you do fly them in not just rain but even heavy mist ,then there is a chance that unseen damage could be done to the internal electronics ,the motors are less likely to be affected ,and as you say the gimbal and camera can have issues with moisture ingress

Couple things to note: Weight Stays under the 250 grams as others have posted with the Wet Suits. The motors are Aluminum Brush- less designed to negotiate water and are the same type of motors used in RC submersibles. The Camera can record under water for a period of time until signal loss. The weak link is the Power button , the Sensors and the Open Ports which is where the Wet Suit focus on the most allowing you to fly in the Rain. .
2022-02-20_12h08_46.png

We have quite a few videos on the Mini flying in the Pouring rain and have not had any issues .
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I use the wetsuits from PhantomRain. I have been flying in rain/snow. No issues. None. I obviously avoid freezing rain or anytime temp is nearing freezing mark, not just at ground level. Only fly if visibility is good and keep drone very close.
Flying backwards avoids water on the gimbal (make sure you're above trees lol)

My Mavic Mini has been caught in a shower but was towel dried ASAP and possibly had a blow dry from a fan heater. I have had no subsequent problems but I would not deliberately fly it in rain. Aside from anything else rain cuts down what the drone can see, what you can see of the drone and any rain on the lens is likely to distort imagery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50