DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in tree covered areas

Papachuk

Reactions
I've been flying drones for a while now, however, this is my first DJI. I recently tried to fly inside a small valley (under tree cover) and didn't have GPS. I was trying to fly "line of site" as I had complete visual of the device and the waterfall I was filming, however when I took off from a small cliff over looking the waterfall, I couldn't do anything but fly down as the device didn't "know" where it was and wouldn't go up. Any advice for flying in a wooded area or anywhere that has no location signals? Any help would be great, thanks.

Reactions: paul050079
I have not tested this, but it is my understanding that without GPS it will not go higher than the VPS sensors can read, or about 32 feet. If you turn off the downward sensors it should remove the height restriction.

Regarding flying without GPS, line of sight is a must. It will be susceptible to drift and RTH will not work.

I've been flying drones for a while now, however, this is my first DJI. I recently tried to fly inside a small valley (under tree cover) and didn't have GPS. I was trying to fly "line of site" as I had complete visual of the device and the waterfall I was filming, however when I took off from a small cliff over looking the waterfall, I couldn't do anything but fly down as the device didn't "know" where it was and wouldn't go up. Any advice for flying in a wooded area or anywhere that has no location signals? Any help would be great, thanks.
Check that your "lose connection" setting will not cause the drone to rise into the trees, like set to hover vs. RTH.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580