DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in vail ski resort?

For my own knowledge...So Vail Ski Resort is in the National Forrest. Flying drones in a National Forrest is not allowed. Is that the end, or, as Vail Ski Resort is leased to a private entity, does that make it legal? Legal with permission of the resort? Completely a crap-shoot with the law?

For my own knowledge...So Vail Ski Resort is in the National Forrest. Flying drones in a National Forrest is not allowed. Is that the end, or, as Vail Ski Resort is leased to a private entity, does that make it legal? Legal with permission of the resort? Completely a crap-shoot with the law?

Flying from USFS National Forest land is entirely permissible unless it is designated wilderness, which Vail Ski Resort obviously is not.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Good to know...perhaps I mixed up National Forrest with National Parks?

Yea none of this really makes sense to me. I've said it before on this forum, but I'll say it again. Just practice safe flying.

For the record, I ended up driving to the other side of the highway of Vail and pulled off to the side. Took my drone up to get some shots (never went over the highway/over Vail the town).

Also, when I was skiing I did see a sign that prohibited the use of UAV's at the bottom of the slopes. I'd imagine if you get caught they would just kick you off and nothing else would happen, but considering it is the most expensive lift ticket in the world that probably isn't something you would want to risk. =]

My Epic Ski pass allows me to ski the Vail resort as well as many others. I ski Heavenly in South Lake Tahoe every couple of days. I asked some of the local Ski Patrol if I could bring my drone and fly it in some of the backcountry after I got off the lifts and skied away from other people. One of the guys told me I could probably get away with it during the slow times, but if they did catch me I would be asked to land and leave. I dont want to risk having my pass suspended for any time currently, but the end of the season is on the 22'nd of this month. So I may just fly at the resort closer to that date so if there was a suspension it would not really matter. :)

I would plead ignorance as there are zero signs prohibiting and nothing about it on thier website when I search. So if we are supposed to know that its disallowed then they certainly dont readily publicize it.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
My Epic Ski pass allows me to ski the Vail resort as well as many others. I ski Heavenly in South Lake Tahoe every couple of days. I asked some of the local Ski Patrol if I could bring my drone and fly it in some of the backcountry after I got off the lifts and skied away from other people. One of the guys told me I could probably get away with it during the slow times, but if they did catch me I would be asked to land and leave. I dont want to risk having my pass suspended for any time currently, but the end of the season is on the 22'nd of this month. So I may just fly at the resort closer to that date so if there was a suspension it would not really matter. :)

I would plead ignorance as there are zero signs prohibiting and nothing about it on thier website when I search. So if we are supposed to know that its disallowed then they certainly dont readily publicize it.

FYI I did see a SINGLE sign that was fairly large right as you board the lift. However, I did not see one at the MAIN gondola.

Ahhh. Thats all they need to post then to state " Well, we have posted a sign that states no drone flying"

Im just thinking that I will take my Tello and get some lower quality video (maybe do an up and away or some similar shots) as I can transport it so easily and if things went South fast and they confiscated it or something I would not have to worry about a big loss and having to fight hard to have it returned.

Reactions: zero1981

Any organization operating a ski resort under a USFS lease/use arrangement can impose restrictions on other activities in general and certainly in terms of activities of customers, beyond regular USFS rules, so that is perfectly plausible.

There are some great sidecountry places you could fly just outside the backcountry gates, where you're no longer in the ski resort. The minturn mile, or the gate at the top of Blue Sky. There are also some spectacular places to film around Vail-- specifically east Vail. You should be able to fly to the East Vail Chutes from the freeway, if there's a spot to pull off. Google Maps

Same goes for Beaver Creek-- while you can't fly on BC, there's a backcountry gate to get to the bald spot.

Also... Loveland Pass. That would be an ideal location, as it's all public land.

Reactions: black_magic100
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji