DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoor with compass error

mikael12

Reactions
I am planning to buy Mavic but not sure if I can fly indoors with no GPS and compass error. Will the motors start with compass error in the steel container when the are no GPS and compass signal at all? (I had that issue with PH3 and had to start motors outside and fly inside when GPS and compass signals were not available)

Do a search on this forum for how many posts have the words "crash" and "indoors" in the subject line, then rethink your whole plan.

Reactions: mikael12
I just had to do a commercial job flying 3 floors underground in a bullion vault! The errors thrown up were amazing, BUT the Mavic flew ok, drifted amoung the 100 large steel safes a bit at speed, but was semi-controllable due to the bottom sensors locking onto the carpet pattern on occassion. Now remember the walls are also steel, there is probably the worst environment on earth to fly the Mavic! I did purchase some prop guards for the job - would have been toast without them, they allowed the Mavic to bounce off the safes.

Not sure about the compass thing, but I've flown inside without GPS plenty of times. Only time it ever drifted was in low light conditions where the bottom cameras couldn't see the ground. Get some prop guards and make sure the lighting is plentiful and try it out. Chances are it'll be rock solid.

I've flown mine indoors a number of times in average family homes with issue, the visual positioning system works very well

Thank you all for the replies. I did some test and it seems that I can fly only for 5m high. I am getting error: "Compass Interference. Max Temp Altittude 5m " and cannot fly any further. Is there any solution to that?

Last edited:
Bad idea all around, ive done it in atti mode but this comes after numerous successful flights outdoors in close areas to practice safely.

try an open space first and turn off sensors, fly slowly at first and be prepared for a bunch of warnings to pop up on the app. Compass errors too lol.

I've only done it once, sadly, one of the threads @TrayBoz mentioned was mine. I have since purchased a Spark, it's been flown indoors more than it's flown outside.

Thank you all for the replies. I did some test and it seems that I can fly only for 5m high. I am getting error: "Compass Interference. Max Temp Altittude 5m " and cannot fly any further. Is there any solution to that?
No and it is good as is. The max. altitude is limited by the range of the visual positioning system. If you would exceed this range without GPS and working compass the Mavic would fall into Atti mode. There it will behave similar to a little toy quad and freely drift around. If you are not an experienced pilot with lots of practice in flying Atti mode you would crash quite quickly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929