DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Indoors in a building in Controlled Airspace...questions.

SteadiDrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Newish FAA Drone Pilot here, all of my flying so far has always been outside controlled air space and no authorization needed.
Before I was an FAA drone pilot I went to go fly the drone, Mavic 2 Pro in a parking lot just to 25 feet to see the top of a one story building, and it would not let me take off. I apparently was in controlled air space. After that I decided to get my FAA Drone Pilot license so I could do that properly if needed.

In two weeks I may have to fly my Mavic 2 Pro indoors, in a roller skating rink.
The Roller skating rink is located in Controlled Airspace.

It doesn't feel like I'd need authorization for this, clearly, but do I need authorization for this?
And if so, how does the Mavic 2 Pro know I have authorization and will allow me to take off in the controlled air space even if I have GPS signal while indoors?

Thanks all.

What does "FAA drone pilot" mean? Do you have your part 107 certification, or did you just get your FAA registration number?

Chris

If you have no gps then the drone does not know where it is. Indoors (no gps) mine thinks it is somewhere south of Africa's 'bump', probably 0 lat 0 long.
I am not sure if the drone or the app can read anything from the phone because I have the recollection that sometimes I have seen odd messages about position whilst in the house. But I rarely give such messages any notice. Out doors it would be a different matter.
If you switch off the phones location services whilst outside the controlled airspace and switch it to airplane mode as well it might prevent the phone determining where it is via cellular network data.
Test it all before hand at the site.
One other concern, if there will be skaters and or an audience, do you have insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't need an FAA Authorization but the DJI Go App may be a headache for you.

In two weeks I may have to fly my Mavic 2 Pro indoors, in a roller skating rink.
The Roller skating rink is located in Controlled Airspace.
It's not about authorization, it's about not having GPS with a drone that is designed/built to fly with GPS.
Anything can (and will) happen...and I'm assuming there will be lots of people around.
Just sayin'

Reactions: DaveS
The VPS is up to handling the flight providing the area is well lit and the 'ground' is within range, and suitable.
Under those conditions my M2P is cm perfect BUT I would be wary of using tripod mode, the sideway looking sensors can complicate things.
Probably ditto obstacle avoidance altogether, I normally fly in P mode and the upward looking sensor is a pain in the derrier with an 8ft? ceiling but sports mode would be a bit too sensitive I think unless your stick control is superb.

One Trick that we do sometimes is start outside getting GPS , Wait for full GPS numbers than fly into
building , but careful to watch GPS signal as it will fade hopefully keeping 7 or 8 of them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: Edh
One Trick that we do sometimes is start outside getting GPS , Wait for full GPS numbers than fly into
building , but careful to watch GPS signal as it will fade hopefully keeping 7 or 8 of them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.
Never thought of that. Tape over sensor when height is limited and fly Atti ?

The biggest problem you will have is that GPS offer is erratic inside buildings. There is a real chance that the drone will switch back and forth between ATTI mode and GPS randomly. GPS mode will force landing, and ATTI mode does not have any flight mode controls as they all need GPS to work.

Never thought of that. Tape over sensor when height is limited and fly Atti ?
Taping over a sensor doesn't seem like a reliable way to switch to ATTI. The M2P can get GPS lock without the visual sensors. Or have I misunderstood your comment?

Chris

Taping over a sensor doesn't seem like a reliable way to switch to ATTI. The M2P can get GPS lock without the visual sensors. Or have I misunderstood your comment?

Chris

Chris
I am talking about using Drone inside like the gym I have. The drone limits the height to 15 feet or so if the bottom sensor is covered you can fly higher. Inside no GPS but visual sensor limits altitude. Come to think of it , I used my Mini when I filmed indoor with prop guards. I got distracted and hit the ceiling. No worries.

Flying indoors is always tricky. Keep focused, be careful and don't take chances. If someone asks you to do a certain shot and you are not comfortable with it, say NO. I've done this with my boss. He doesn't like it but I am the PIC and responsible for the drone and any people around me. If there are supposed to be people inside where you're supposed to fly, do NOT fly. ANYTHING can go wrong. I wouldn't risk it and I am Part 107 certified with years of experience flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird