DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors wirh no gps

Ed Henry

Reactions
So i took my Mavic to this local indoor sports center where they let people fly planes on certain days. It had a metal roof with big steel beems and i couldn't get gps. It connected and took off fine but it wandered. When i stopped motion with the sticks, it kept moving so i had to continually compensate to keep it still. Is there a fix for this is or is it just the way it is going to be in this enviroment??
Ed

So i took my Mavic to this local indoor sports center where they let people fly planes on certain days. It had a metal roof with big steel beems and i couldn't get gps. It connected and took off fine but it wandered. When i stopped motion with the sticks, it kept moving so i had to continually compensate to keep it still. Is there a fix for this is or is it just the way it is going to be in this enviroment??
Ed
Indoor=little to none GPS. You'll have to get use to it.

Ed
That is ATTI mode, no GPS assisted stabilization, but if it is bright enough and you are under 10 feet, the optical sensors should help if there is contrasting colors on the floor.

That is ATTI mode, no GPS assisted stabilization, but if it is bright enough and you are under 10 feet, the optical sensors should help if there is contrasting colors on the floor.
Ahhh, that must be it. It was a solid green astroturf type floor. I would take it off on one of the few lines and it seem ok, but when i flew away it had problems..
Thanks
Ed

A lot of people would like the chance to practice atti mode with the mavic.

Sounds like you have an ideal spot. Forget wanting it to hover in place, hone your skills in atti and you will be a better pilot for it.

Just make sure you have failsafe RTH set to hover and don't be tempted to push the RTH button if you do pick up a GPS signal.

As others already mentioned, thats ATTI mode. The only thing you can really do is train to fly in it. Something i have to add, the little cheap toy drones you've mentioned do not magically stay in place. They do drift. A lot. If they seem to stay in place, its only because the operator is rather proficient and controlling them.

Reactions: Ed Henry
As others already mentioned, thats ATTI mode. The only thing you can really do is train to fly in it. Something i have to add, the little cheap toy drones you've mentioned do not magically stay in place. They do drift. A lot. If they seem to stay in place, its only because the operator is rather proficient and controlling them.
plus they can be trimmed

Last edited:
Mine was rock solid the first time I tried it out in my apartment. But yeah, take the advice to set the failsafe RTH to hover, after a few disconnects outside I realize the disaster that could have happened :p

Sounds like you have an ideal spot. Forget wanting it to hover in place, hone your skills in atti and you will be a better pilot for it.

Just make sure you have failsafe RTH set to hover and don't be tempted to push the RTH button if you do pick up a GPS signal.
agree
$100 drone can drift, its about trimming as best possible and stick control
plus they can be trimmed
Ok then....thsnks to all. Ill be heading back there Wednesday to practice, practice, practice..
..stay away from walls,and trynot to crash...lol

Ok then....thsnks to all. Ill be heading back there Wednesday to practice, practice, practice..
..stay away from walls,and trynot to crash...lol

I've got two words for you , prop guards , could save some AC damage in the advent of a crash

Havent received my Mini yet but this sounds like good advice.

Callum, I have not received my Mini yet. Can you elaborate more on this setting for me. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji