DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors

Although not recommended would flying indoors be much easier in Tripod Mode?
Indoors should be basketball gymnasium sized ceiling 80feet?

Djigo4 has configuration joystick sensitivities and logarithmic gain tweakability. That relaxes the response immediacy and extent of each direction changed (up, down, fwd, rev, left, right, rotate).
Tripod severs extents, you'll no longer have full range of extent of each directional

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Difficulty in flying indoors is more to do with the Mavic not being able to get GPS locks on many - or any! - sat's, and floors that confuse downward acoustic and visual sensors. Being in Tripod mode would not help much, because the Mavic is still relying on those sensors in that mode ... So it would probably mean that you'd just crash slower!
There are a lot of things that need to be turned off and adjusted to stop disasters indoors ... Even turning off your RTH settings so that on low battery, the drone doesn't head up and saw off your light fittings! The Mavic is not an indoor animal ... Let it soar free in the wild blue ... :)

Difficulty in flying indoors is more to do with the Mavic not being able to get GPS locks on many - or any! - sat's, and floors that confuse downward acoustic and visual sensors. Being in Tripod mode would not help much, because the Mavic is still relying on those sensors in that mode ... So it would probably mean that you'd just crash slower!
There are a lot of things that need to be turned off and adjusted to stop disasters indoors ... Even turning off your RTH settings so that on low battery, the drone doesn't head up and saw off your light fittings! The Mavic is not an indoor animal ... Let it soar free in the wild blue ... :)
On 2nd thought drone is used inspecting underground jp4 bunkers, huge tanks buried under redhill honolulu hawaii. The china rep warned atti mode none gps crawl ever so slow joystick manual care. Prerequisite would be neutrality align, alignment, alignment chk, of craft stationary capability all sticks neutral

I get virtually no gps signal in the basement of the house so I can't see getting any gps signal underground at all.

I fly my Mavic 2 in doors, to practice my skills. turning the sensors off and exp down to 10 Reason not able to get out in winter all the time, in a wheelchair so this keeps my skills going,not for everyone

Definitively tripod mode. I am curious to know you saw "not recommended" for tripod mode. Just make sure that the indoor area is well lit and has sufficient discrete objects that will make vision positioning reliable and accurate. Make sure the M2 tells you "vision positioning" before taking off. Don't look for GPS - there will be none and if any - it will be counter productive.

I flew my M1 indoors a few times without any issues. I have not tried this with the M2, but I think it should be even better than the M1.

I have flown indoors a lot. I put the prop guards on, set loss of signal to hover and turn sensors off. The only issue I've ever had was flying inside a large metal building, there's no gps signal but if I got too close to an exterior wall, I'd get a short blast of gps lock and it would act a little wonky. There's a hack I found on here that remaps the sport mode switch to ATTI mode, switch that on and never had another issue.

Although, I cannot find anything definitive for the MA pertaining to indoor flight, I would highly recommend the TRIPOD mode. FYI, here is the excerpt from the DJI Mavic Air manual:

Tripod Mode
Tap (Graphic of Tripod) in the DJI GO 4 app to select Tripod mode. In Tripod mode, the maximum flight speed is limited to 2.2 mph (3.6 kph). Responsiveness to stick movements is also reduced for smoother, more controlled movements.

Only use Tripod mode where the GPS signal is strong or light conditions are ideal for the Vision Systems. If the GPS signal is lost and if the Vision Systems are disabled or unavailable, the aircraft will automatically switch to ATTI mode. In this case, flight speed will increase and the aircraft will not hover in place. Use Tripod mode carefully.

I have used the Tripod mode inside homes (now, I use the DJI Mobile 2), and it was a tricky adventure. Fortunately, no mishaps.

I have flown my M2P inside a bunch. I tried the suggested way but it still switches between vision and atti mode (sometimes even gps) and dosen't always respond well while doing so. I set the Sport mode switch on my controller to ATTI mode. You have to control the drift in atti mode but you have full control without the worry of something changing on you.

so, there were numerous reports on this issue...

the whole deal is that sometimes all those mavics go bananas when they start in OPTI mode with no gps, then get gps, then start loosing it.
that specific moment when GPS signal becomes erratic indoors may lead to an uncontrolled movement of the model sideways with it hitting stuff. also, it seems, sometime it may glitch and get into ATTI bypassing OPTI mode for collision avoidance. why - who knows.
so, if it is in the tripod mode then it should have optical avoidance sensors active and it should, hopefully, prevent collision. if you disabled those sensors and intend to fly without them, that is not very advisable, then you can hack into mavocs paramters and replace tripod mode with ATTI mode that will not use GPS guaranteed.

the unfortunate thing is, and i spent quite a bit of time experimenting, asking, etc. and it is confirmed now - there is no such mode nor params combination to enforce the OPTI mode alone. that would be ideal for indoors - to make mavic use cameras for stabilization and side sensors to avoid collision - but, alas, no luck.

so, it is either clear ATTI mode where you will get stabilization but no position control, so your drone will drift uncontrollably all the time, or, you use tripod mode to activate all 6 cameras on all sides hoping it will prevent crashing. i kinda chose the latter now - as in tripod mode it moves slow, so, with having optical avoidance on the C1 button you can fly indoors while it is disabled, before you get to taking shots or videos you press C1 again to 'freeze' model where it is, and so on. only issue with it is that it beeps as no tomorrow because of optical sensors seeing walls.

If you are looking for how to set full time atti mode, the instructions are on my site.

ATTI Hack using DJI Assistant

If you are not comfortable with flying without gps lock, I don't recommend it.
i would definitely agree ATTI indoors is the safest mode as it is not going to do unpredictable jumps, but, from practical perspective of getting actual work done it is not an ideal solution - due to the constant drift on model`s position.

i understand it may backfire one day, but, it seems if it is in the tripod mode and C1 button is set to disable and re-enable optical avoidance it kinda works OKish for indoors - you liftoff in tripod optical mode, then, if needed, disable avoidance, re-position bird to the point it needs to be, re-enable optical avoidance to prevent further moves - and this way it is locked in the position and you can take your shots.
and, yes, i saw reports and fully understand it may do odd stuff even if locked like that but it seems to be not a norm but a some sort of abnormality, i hope.

I have flown my M2P inside a bunch. I tried the suggested way but it still switches between vision and atti mode (sometimes even gps) and dosen't always respond well while doing so. I set the Sport mode switch on my controller to ATTI mode. You have to control the drift in atti mode but you have full control without the worry of something changing on you.

Nice man-cave. I don't even have that much space outside my house!!!!

Nice man-cave. I don't even have that much space outside my house!!!!
Thanks. I wish it was my man cave although I would trade the ping pong for a pool table...
That was the lower level in a cabin we rented in the Smoky Mountains. My house is in a nfz so I haven't flown the M2P since then about a month ago. I still have fun flying little drones around the house.
Heres a pic (an hdr right from the camera) and video I played with (I'm obviously not a video person).

Cabin.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut