DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying into the rain with Mavic Air 2!

Yaros

Reactions
Today when I was flying I saw from a distance something that looked like a cloud, but when flying closer to it, I realized that it is heavy rain and it is moving towards my drone. Then it started raining hard where I was standing, so I decided to take a couple of short videos and land. In the last shot of the video, there is hail, I was worrying it would damage my props, but luckily it didn't.

Here's a short video:

And for those wondering, no, I wasn't using a wetsuit by phantom rain, I might consider getting that though!

Here's how the drone looked after I landed:

PXL_20230122_163815671.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Today when I was flying I saw from a distance something that looked like a cloud, but when flying closer to it, I realized that it is heavy rain and it is moving towards my drone. Then it started raining hard where I was standing, so I decided to take a couple of short videos and land. In the last shot of the video, there is hail, I was worrying it would damage my props, but luckily it didn't.

Here's a short video:

And for those wondering, no, I wasn't using a wetsuit by phantom rain, I might consider getting that though!

Photo of the drone after flight.
I assume it looked wet. Photo didn’t make it through.
Flying backwards keeps the rain off the camera.
However, even flying forward, the speed blows the rain drops off the front filter. Just make sure to clean the lens filter with a lens cleaning wipe before flying again! Lots of chemicals in rain that will dry on the filter, blurring your images and video.

Last edited:
I assume it looked wet. Photo didn’t make it through.
Oh yeah, it's a bug when I paste the photo straight from Google Photos it fails to render in some browsers. I will download the photo to my computer and re-upload.

When I came back home I immediately cleaned the drone, battery and lens.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
One lucky guy and glad you made it. Makes for spectacular footage. Thanks for the risk!!

Here's a short video:

View attachment 159825
A rain sound track with some music would have been great

I've flown in rain periodically for years with the DJI drones. [knock on wood] it hasn't been an issue. I do generally keep those rain flights under 10min when possible and thoroughly dry off the drone afterwards. The tip on flying backwards is a good one to keep the lens clear, I often do that in rain and snow and/or point the lens straight down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore