DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying low at constant height

toad007

Reactions
I want to fly over a stone beach in Suffolk UK (Shingle Street) to follow a line of white stones laid by two ladies who were recovering from cancer. You can google this.
How will the Mavic Plat perform at say 6 feet. Will it just continue at this constant height as the Plat will go out of view over the rolling stones and dunes, there are no obstacles.

Reactions: Dronage
I want to fly over a stone beach in Suffolk UK (Shingle Street) to follow a line of white stones laid by two ladies who were recovering from cancer. You can google this.
How will the Mavic Plat perform at say 6 feet. Will it just continue at this constant height as the Plat will go out of view over the rolling stones and dunes, there are no obstacles.
use waypoints set the flight path and camera angle . that will keep the height for you

you should not be flying it at that height if there is any chance of someone or something going to be in the area, two things minimum height over people or property is 50m and you must keep the drone in sight at all times , the only possibility of doing it would be to walk behind the drone as you flew, and keep a lookout for people or obstructions in your path

looking at the map , I would say you will be ok , if you pack the time of day, you should be able to use waypoints , just keep the drone in sight, and the camera pointing at the line

The area in question heads to the sea and you can see if anyone around, at worst one person per square mile.
The question is, will it just go along at constant height, no lectures please.

Note that constant height is relative to the launch point, not the ground underneath the drone. If there is and slope at all to the site, the drone will be too high, or worse yet, fly into it.

I use Litchi, not DJI Go 4 for Waypoint flights and Pre-program my Waypoint missions on my laptop with "Mission Hub" which gives the ability to specify the waypoint 'Height Above Ground" level to fly uneven terrain. I use it to fly low up and down small hills and it works great. I will use it to fly up a 2000 ft. mountain behind my house when the weather and snow conditions permit. I also use the Point of Interest feature during waypoint missions to keep the camera on my Mavic Pro pointed and focused along the line I want. I love how smooth and constant the videos turn out using this process. The lowest constant flight height I have used is 10 feet Above Ground Level because of flying over fence posts and 3 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. The warnings about flying near people at only 6' or with the drone out of sight are valid. We, as pilots, should always make Safety Priority #1. Good luck with the flight.

I was just showing how it could be done , when on site the heights and positions need checking, and adjusting if needed

I know the stones you mean ... Hopefully you'll post your video?
You have just the right drone to do this with - the Mavic Pro Platinum. There is an Intelligent flight mode called 'Terrain Follow' - which allows your MPP to keep a constant height above rising ground. Note - this only works with rising ground - when the ground falls away, the MPP just maintains height until it gets to more rising ground, which it will follow again.
I'd start at the sea, set the TF function & height, then just fly the Mavic along the line of stones ...
You must have your MPP flying to select this mode ... There's a how-to video here ...

You have just the right drone to do this with - the Mavic Pro Platinum. There is an Intelligent flight mode called 'Terrain Follow' - which allows your MPP to keep a constant height above rising ground. Note - this only works with rising ground - when the ground falls away, the MPP just maintains height until it gets to more rising ground, which it will follow again.
I'd start at the sea, set the TF function & height, then just fly the Mavic along the line of stones ...
You must have your MPP flying to select this mode ... There's a how-to video here ...

Yeah I would have thought terrain follow would be the best option as it would require less planning than the waypoints option.

Yeah I would have thought terrain follow would be the best option as it would require less planning than the waypoints option.
Waypoints = Sledgehammer + Nut ... ?

Reactions: Fire Fox

Yes, many thanks, Terrain Follow is something I have not tried yet. Use most of the others. Some good answers re Litchi and waypoints, I think this whole subject is useful and perhaps desirable to know. To really understand what these things can do will take time.
Don't worry about me flying at 6 feet and out of sight, this particular area is very remote and I would be able to see anyone.

Yes, many thanks, Terrain Follow is something I have not tried yet. Use most of the others. Some good answers re Litchi and waypoints, I think this whole subject is useful and perhaps desirable to know. To really understand what these things can do will take time.
Don't worry about me flying at 6 feet and out of sight, this particular area is very remote and I would be able to see anyone.

Just practicing for the Shingle Street clips. The link shown taken flying around lower garden whilst sitting in the conservatory. I love this thing !!

Alan UK Suffolk.

I'm still waiting for your video of the line of shells ...

shingle street.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00