DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying (M2 or MM2) while it's snowing- Precautions to take?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Before I get started I know I could purchase a "wet suit", but it's not currently in the budget. I'll get one of those in time. I don't need that answer. I've had conversations with Phantomrain. I'm looking to see if, without availability of the wet suit, I need to take precautions to protect my drones (or not fly) when it's snowing. I might have to land in snow, but I would assume similar considertions would be required as if flying.

As I would be flying with frozen water rather than in liquid form, I would presume that I could protect the battery and compartment and battery switch temporarily covering them with masking tape, keeping incidental moisture out during flight. I've always wondered if any damage/corrosion/oxidation occurs in the motors of peoples' drone who fly in rain, sea mist or fog. Am I being too overcautious and need do nothing?

So far I've managed to keep my drones dry, but don't want to miss out on some of the more dramatic opportunities to film. TIA

@vindibona1 i guess its a personal choice you need to make for yourself,the drones we fly are not waterproof and any moisture that gets inside could have a detrimental affect on the operation of the drone,but if you feel that the pics you want outweigh the chance of damage then go for it and see what happens good luck in your venture

@vindibona1 i guess its a personal choice you need to make for yourself,the drones we fly are not waterproof and any moisture that gets inside could have a detrimental affect on the operation of the drone,but if you feel that the pics you want outweigh the chance of damage then go for it and see what happens good luck in your venture
Part of the reason I pose the question is that if one wants to see what one gets while it's snowing as sort of a practice drill, is there a risk of damage to the drone. If you're answer is that yes, there is, then it seems prudent to wait until you see that got-to-have shot moment to risk it.

Reactions: old man mavic
i can only answer your question with the following
i myself would not fly any of my drones in rain or snow ,while it was in the process of raining or snowing ,but have flown over snow after it has stopped ,and in wet conditions after the rain has passed through, one other scenario that is problematic,is very foggy moisture laden air regardless of temperature, as i said before our drones are not waterproof

Problem is the corrosion may (and probably will) show up at a inoperate time without warning or notice. Not something most of us would risk. I would get the wetsuit.

Reactions: old man mavic
I would be more worried about blade and airframe icing flying in snow or low viz low temperatures. Icing can and usually does occur when viz is below 1000 metres and OAT >4*c. Be careful especially if you get motor overload warnings.

Reactions: vindibona1
Bottom line is not allowing moisture getting into and under the battery.

Snow will melt and water will splash. The big thing right now is flying into or close to the fog during freezing weather.

So if it is raining, snowing or fog.... do not fly. If a storm is coming then get in before it comes close.

I fly when it’s snowing...
HOWEVER...
It has to be cold snow (below 28 deg), not warm snow that melts as soon as it hits the ground. (It’s a Michigan thing!)
Second, I let the AC acclimate to the cold so the snow doesn’t melt on the AC and the camera. Although the battery is internally kept warm, the top surface can acclimate to the lower temperatures.
Third, it must be a light snow, not a blizzard. Besides, there can be VLOS issues.
Use some judgment. If after a short flight there is some evidence of melting on the AC stop flying. Although I’ve never had this happen, if the camera lens get blurry during a flight, land.

It's probably best to stay out of the rain and snow if possible. I think now, that if I ever had to fly in fog or excessive moisture I'd probably bring my drone home and stick it in a sealed bag with rice for 24 hours, not unlike you do with a cell phone when you inadvertantly drop it in the toilet :oops: .

Before I get started I know I could purchase a "wet suit", but it's not currently in the budget. I'll get one of those in time. I don't need that answer. I've had conversations with Phantomrain. I'm looking to see if, without availability of the wet suit, I need to take precautions to protect my drones (or not fly) when it's snowing. I might have to land in snow, but I would assume similar considertions would be required as if flying.

As I would be flying with frozen water rather than in liquid form, I would presume that I could protect the battery and compartment and battery switch temporarily covering them with masking tape, keeping incidental moisture out during flight. I've always wondered if any damage/corrosion/oxidation occurs in the motors of peoples' drone who fly in rain, sea mist or fog. Am I being too overcautious and need do nothing?

So far I've managed to keep my drones dry, but don't want to miss out on some of the more dramatic opportunities to film. TIA
I fly in the snow all the time. The vortex from the props helps prevent snow from hitting the drone. It’s bone dry when it comes into land. Wind is much more of a concern than snow.

As mentioned above just make sure it’s cold snow. If you fly in wintery mix ice can form on the props and make them spin faster to keep the drone up.

Don't fly in wet snow. Cool your drone before flying, but keep your battery on your body until you lift off. As long as it's not packy snow (if you live in a cold environment, you know what I mean ), it won't stick or collect on your drone. It comes back bone dry each and every time. Your camera should have no snow accumulation on it. If it has any, the snow is too wet to fly in. The battery will cool as you fly and won't melt any snow. The props keep most of it off anyway. It makes for sending amazing videography.

Flew mine today. No problems.

Attachments

• 90D45B43-FF78-45D8-A97B-D91C50E8F95A.jpeg
    90D45B43-FF78-45D8-A97B-D91C50E8F95A.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
When I fly in the snow or if there is a chance of rain mist I put a little tape over the power button and the top seams at the ends of the battery . I have flown my old mavic pro over 50 times in snowy days . No more fog flights as I had a close call

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair