DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying M3P in Europe?

Kilboar

Reactions
Can someone give me the low down on flying a Mavic 3 Pro in Europe?

I’m mostly a hobbyist that loves to travel with my drone for great vacation footage and I heard something mentioned that the weight may be an issue over seas?

I’m coming from a Mavic Pro and a very brief few flights with a Mavic 2 Pro before I just purchased a M3P that I’m still waiting on.

You need an A1/A3 certification from a European country, this can be done online. You also need liability insurance.
The Mavic 3 Pro is a C2 drone, right?
You can fly a C2 drone in most of Europe with A1/A3 certification, you just have to keep a longer distance from buildings and people than with A2 certificate.
This is the regulations from CAA Norway, they are the same in all EASA countries.
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/glo ... 021_engelsk_v05.pdf

The separation rules were what decided it for me. Here in Canada I'm limited in where I can fly my Mavic 2 because I have to maintain 30 m from people, and it's tricky even in a relatively uninhabited country. Even harder in more densely settled Europe, and the 1:1 rule increases the distance (many of my planned shots require 50-100 m altitude). That's why I decided to take only the Mini.

Or just keep my current MP1 for travel?
Mini 3 Pro is a significant upgrade (7 years is a really long time in the drone world), much more compact for travel, less threatening since it looks like a toy, and at 249g is completely registration free for hobbyists, and totally exempt from RID, if you avoid the optional RID FW update, and only fly with the stock battery recreationally. Your 2016 released Mavic Pro requires mandatory RID compliance after September 16th, unless you enjoy only flying at AMA flying fields. Mini 3 Pro is also less than half the price of the Mavic 3 Pro you were considering.

Reactions: Kilboar
Mini 3 Pro is a significant upgrade (7 years is a really long time in the drone world), much more compact for travel, less threatening since it looks like a toy, and at 249g is completely registration free for hobbyists, and totally exempt from RID, if you avoid the optional RID FW update, and only fly with the stock battery recreationally. Your 2016 released Mavic Pro requires mandatory RID compliance after September 16th, unless you enjoy only flying at AMA flying fields. Mini 3 Pro is also less than half the price of the Mavic 3 Pro you were considering.
Thank you much.

I have my drones registered with the FAA and I’ve completed the Trust exam.

With that said the RID compliance on Sept 16th is one of the reasons I’m going to sell the new/used M2P I just got and bought the M3P, it should arrive today.

I guess a can’t fly it in Europe at all but what more do I need to do to fly it in the states? I’m not big on flying over people. Mostly in the woods or away from other people.

Seems like the fun days of flying a drone is coming to an end.

Thank you much.

I have my drones registered with the FAA and I’ve completed the Trust exam.

With that said the RID compliance on Sept 16th is one of the reasons I’m going to sell the new/used M2P I just got and bought the M3P, it should arrive today.

I guess a can’t fly it in Europe at all but what more do I need to do to fly it in the states? I’m not big on flying over people. Mostly in the woods or away from other people.

Seems like the fun days of flying a drone is coming to an end.
The M2P can be made RID compliant by simply mounting an external RID device onto it. They should be available for less than $50. Prices are coming down rapidly as the date approaches. Careful about shortening Mavic 3 Pro to M3P, as that is also a common acronym for the Mini 3 Pro, leading to mass confusion. If you just bought the Mavic 3 Pro, just put your pilot registration number on it, and fly under a set of rules for hobbyists. Otherwise, you might return it unopened, keep your M2P, buy an external RID device for it, and buy a Mini 3 Pro instead, with lots of money left over. The Mini 3 Pro is ideal for travel to Europe.

Yes, sadly, the glory days of restriction free drone flying are over.

The M2P can be made RID compliant by simply mounting an external RID device onto it. They should be available for less than $50. Prices are coming down rapidly as the date approaches. Careful about shortening Mavic 3 Pro to M3P, as that is also a common acronym for the Mini 3 Pro, leading to mass confusion. If you just bought the Mavic 3 Pro, just put your pilot registration number on it, and fly under a set of rules for hobbyists. Otherwise, you might return it unopened, keep your M2P, buy an external RID device for it, and buy a Mini 3 Pro instead, with lots of money left over. The Mini 3 Pro is ideal for travel to Europe.

Yes, sadly, the glory days of restriction free drone flying are over.
Thank you.

Not sure I’d want to deal with an add on RID for the Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve got two friends looking for used drones so I’m thinking of selling the MP and M2P and buying a mini 3 pro in the future.

Hopefully I can use the RC Pro controller from the Mavic 3 pro with a mini 3 pro as well.

Thank you.

Not sure I’d want to deal with an add on RID for the Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve got two friends looking for used drones so I’m thinking of selling the MP and M2P and buying a mini 3 pro in the future.

Hopefully I can use the RC Pro controller from the Mavic 3 pro with a mini 3 pro as well.
Yes, that's a great plan. RC Pro is also fully compatible with the Mini 3 Pro, and you'll also have the best prosumer camera drone DJI makes for use stateside in the Mavic 3 Pro.

Sorry I am late to this party but figured I'd chime in since I don't think your question was really specifically answered. You didn't specify EEA or UK ("Europe" is a geographical term not a political one) so I will give both sets of info. This is all correct, current, and comprehensive to the best of my knowledge.

UK

It should be noted that the rules for the UK are different than the rules for the EU. The UK is much more restrictive than the EU since the UK CAA does not recognize the EASA Class Labels (C0, C1, C2, etc). In the UK everyone needs an Operator ID (even for a Mini since it has a camera). It is easy and quick to get an Operator ID (costs £10). If the drone weighs >250g then you also need a Flyer ID (also easy and quick to get, and the Flyer ID is free. This is comparable to the basic EU A1/A3 test). This page breaks down those rules: https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/getting-what-you-need-to-fly
  • Note that by CAA rules you are only required to have insurance if the drone weighs more than 20kg or if you are working commercially.
  • If your drone weighs <250g (ie, the Mini series only) then you can overfly people. You must have an Operator ID since the drone has a camera.
  • If your drone weighs >250g but less than 500g then you can overfly people, but not intentionally and it must be brief. This category comprises I think exclusively of the Spark and original Mavic Air (not 2 or 2S — those are >500g). You must have both an Operator ID and a Flyer ID.
  • If your drone weighs over 500g (and up to 25kg) then you must stay >50m away from any uninvolved people at all times and >150m away from any structure. This category includes all of the non-Mini Mavic series drones (including the Air2 and Air2S) and all of the Inspire drones. You must have both an Operator ID and a Flyer ID.
    • "Structure" is very broadly defined by the CAA and includes basically everything you can imagine: individual residential buildings, small groups of residential buildings, housing estates, villages, cities and towns, schools, tourist attractions, sports facilities, beaches and parks, theme parks, shopping centres, warehouses, business parks, factories, docks, rail and transport hubs, etc. Source for this list: https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly
    • If you have the A2 CofC certification, which is pretty easy but takes a few days to obtain (all online), you can fly near structures with a drone >250g and <2kg, but you still must maintain 50m separation from uninvolved people (even in low speed mode). Costs about £70.
  • This official PDF from the CAA breaks these rules down: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2012_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V11.pdf

EEA

Relative to the UK the EEA offers a lot of freedom for us due to the class labeling system. Similar to the UK, everyone flying a drone with a camera in the EU needs a Drone Registration ID number which is quick and easy and costs €30. That is all you need to fly a Mini 3 since it is Class C0. If flying something heavier than 250g then you also need to take the A1/A3 test (very easy and pretty quick – costs an additional €30). Note for English speakers: you can do all your registrations and certifications with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA). These FAQ explain the rules more explicitly: Drones (UAS) | EASA
  • Note that by EASA rules you are only required to have insurance if the drone weighs more than 20kg. Some member countries might have a lower limit.
  • If your drone weighs <250g or has a C0 class marking (Mini 3) then you can overfly uninvolved people. You must register as a UAS operator.
  • If your drone has a C1 class marking (original Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic), then you can fly "close to people" and overfly them, but it must be minimized as much as possible. You must register as a UAS operator and complete the A1/A3 online training.
  • If your drone has a C2 class marking (the new Mavic 3 Pro), then you must not overfly people and must maintain a 30m horizontal separation. This reduces to 5m if flying in a low speed mode. Unlike in the UK, however, there is no restriction for flying near structures. You must register as a UAS operator and complete the A1/A3 online training.
  • If your drone has no class marking but weighs <2kg (Air2, Air2S, unmarked Mavic 3, unmarked Mavic 3 Classic, unmarked Mavic 3 Pro) then you can fly in the A2 subcategory if you obtain the A2 certification (same content as the UK A2 CofC, but you need to do the EU version which costs about €150). If you do not obtain the A2 certification then you must fly in the A3 subcategory and maintain at least 150m horizontal separation from structures and uninvolved people (same rules as for unmarked drones <25kg). You must register as a UAS operator and complete the A1/A3 online training.
  • If your drone has a C3 or C4 class marking (Inspire 3) then the rules are slightly unclear but it is one of the following. You must register as a UAS operator and complete the A1/A3 online training.
  • If your drone is not class marked but <25kg (Inspire 2, Inspire 1) then you must maintain 150m from uninvolved people and structures at all times.

RECOMMENDATIONS

Europe is in general pretty densely populated so the only drones that make sense to take to the EEA are the Mini 3, Mavic 3 Original, and Mavic 3 Classic. Note that not all Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic drones ship with the C1 sticker so you must ensure that you purchase one with the sticker! The only way to ensure that is to buy the drone in the EU. It is possible to get the C1 sticker for the Mavic 3 after purchase, but it is a pain. It is not currently possible to obtain the C1 sticker after purchase for the Mavic 3 Classic. The hassle is worth it for the extra image quality and flyability of the Mavic 3 versus the Mini 3. The C1 class marked original Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Classic would be my top picks for flights in the EEA.

The UK is also pretty densely populated but I think the same recommendations apply: Mini 3, Mavic 3, or Mavic 3 Classic — with the caveat that if you are flying the one of latter two drones you really do need to get the A2 certification and you will only be able to fly in cities and towns if there are no people around (ie dawn and dusk in the summertime). In the UK you can fly a Mavic 3 Pro anywhere that you can fly an original Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Classic, but I would strongly prefer the non-Pro version so that it can also be flown without annoying restrictions in the EU which is right next door! I live in the UK and fly an original Mavic 3 both here and in the EU. The original Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Classic, or Mini 3 would be my top picks for flights in the UK.

Thank you so much Jake, thats a lot of great info.

I had my Mavic Pro registered to go to Ireland back in 2020 but never went. I've since sold that and I now own the Mavic 3 Pro but I'm thinking I'll buy the Mini 3 Pro just for traveling a broad. Just seem easier with regulations and being compact to carry.

I really try not to fly around people. Seems like an invasion of privacy and I'm really wanting landscape shots for the most part.

Thank you again for chiming in with all that info. Greatly appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S