DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying mavic mini in mexico

GianFrancis

Reactions
Hello good day!

I am a new mavic pilot and I just want to confirm if my mavic mini could fly in Mexico? I am a seafarer who just bought my first drone and I'm no local. I will be in Mexico around March and would like to test my drone upon arriving there. I have checked that drone law in mexico states that drones over 250g should need a permit and mavic mini weighs less than 250g. Is it okay to fly and if ever I get questioned will I be safe? Thanks for your help! Safe flying!

What my experience with any law in Mexico is going to depend on the mood of the enforcer. Use caution and ask first. A copy of those regulations in hand may be beneficial.

So even though you have the law printed out and showed the enforcer he could still fine or consifcate his drone if he feels like doing it?

In some countries, yes.
Many corrupt police and officials in some places of the World, not saying Mexico in general, but I would think you could be involved with some forms of local corruption in that region.

Usually a 'fine' will have no official paperwork, the $ go into the persons pocket and there it will stay.
All know it's a bribe, but it de-escalates things if it is getting really bad, sharp voices, yelling, hands on weapons etc.

If you can get the written document from the official Mexican airspace regulators website, print it in english and mexican, and keep with you, you might be safer than not having it.
You can always ask a police officer or official to take you to their station / superior to sort things out, if they keep saying you need to pay a fine etc.
That will very usually sort out any 'misunderstanding' quickly on the spot.

So too carrying a small amount of local or US$ in a shirt pocket (last resort), to satisfy a really uncomfortable / escalating situation, some of these corrupt people can be pretty good poker players.
Last resort, as it emboldens the official for the next 'client' that comes along.

You should be fine, it's probably a very minor number of people that have the misfortune to find themselves in such situations.

Keep in mind, the mini doesn't exempt following all local flight regulations, local NFZs.
Use common sense too . . . not in busy tourist areas or sensitive places.

Depending on the port, you’re likely to see every YouTube yacht with a drone flying around the local marinas and anchorages. I was in Can San Lucas last month, and saw drones late at night (mostly Phantom types), but the Mavics were well-represented during the day. Heed the advice of everyone else by checking with authorities first, but I wouldn’t worry if you’re flying off your own fantail; provided your skipper is okay with it.

So even though you have the law printed out and showed the enforcer he could still fine or consifcate his drone if he feels like doing it?
First visit to Mexico? Arriving via? What part of Mexico?

Depending on the port, you’re likely to see every YouTube yacht with a drone flying around the local marinas and anchorages. I was in Can San Lucas last month, and saw drones late at night (mostly Phantom types), but the Mavics were well-represented during the day. Heed the advice of everyone else by checking with authorities first, but I wouldn’t worry if you’re flying off your own fantail; provided your skipper is okay with it.

Yeah but compared to yachts, I'm in a ship which is a floating metal. That would be a problem especially during calibration I guess?

Yeah but compared to yachts, I'm in a ship which is a floating metal. That would be a problem especially during calibration I guess?

There's been a few good steel ship threads on the forum over the years, a quick search brought up a couple . . .

A start for some reading and may help.

Reactions: pelagic_one
In some countries, yes.
Many corrupt police and officials in some places of the World, not saying Mexico in general, but I would think you could be involved with some forms of local corruption in that region.

Usually a 'fine' will have no official paperwork, the $ go into the persons pocket and there it will stay.
All know it's a bribe, but it de-escalates things if it is getting really bad, sharp voices, yelling, hands on weapons etc.

If you can get the written document from the official Mexican airspace regulators website, print it in english and mexican, and keep with you, you might be safer than not having it.
You can always ask a police officer or official to take you to their station / superior to sort things out, if they keep saying you need to pay a fine etc.
That will very usually sort out any 'misunderstanding' quickly on the spot.

So too carrying a small amount of local or US$ in a shirt pocket (last resort), to satisfy a really uncomfortable / escalating situation, some of these corrupt people can be pretty good poker players.
Last resort, as it emboldens the official for the next 'client' that comes along.

You should be fine, it's probably a very minor number of people that have the misfortune to find themselves in such situations.

Keep in mind, the mini doesn't exempt following all local flight regulations, local NFZs.
Use common sense too . . . not in busy tourist areas or sensitive places.

Okay sir. Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I will be in Mexico around March and would like to test my drone upon arriving there.

Having been in the U.S. Navy myself, I’ve seen the intricacies behind landing a fixed wing drone onto a moving vessel. So I focused on your statement above, “...upon arriving....”

Launching and landing from an anchored or moored ship in the quiet Ensenada Harbor should be much easier than the guys trying to match speed over ground, as if it were some kind of underway replenishment exercise.

If you’re not comfortable enough to fly over water, or land on the fantail or a clear, topside area...take a walk into town (outside the Port Authority gates). There’s a pretty long walk from the docks up to the town, so you’ll have plenty of room for a quick flight. The general rule is stay away from people, so if there’s a cruise ship in port, which is often the case, walk in a different direction than the crowds. Cruise passenger traffic is usually directed away from the commercial docks, so you’ll have an entire jetty to yourself for a quick flyover.

The prevailing afternoon winds have gusts too strong for our Minis, so flying in the early morning is best.

Please share some pics and videos of your visit. Also, watch out for other drone traffic along the beach. Most tourists with a drone don’t log onto this forum, and are not as conscientious as you.

Last edited:
There's been a few good steel ship threads on the forum over the years, a quick search brought up a couple . . .

A start for some reading and may help.

Thank you very much sir! Safe flying!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Are you on a cruise ship? Just curious. I've taken drones to Mexico many times on private and commercial flights without a problem. I never fly if it looks like it could tick someone off. Mexicans are very hospitable so If you manage to make someone angry you've probably really pushed the envelope. Just keep it to the tourist locations. Military installments are off limits.

Dude, it's Mexico! (in my best Spanish accent hahahahah) "they don't need no stinking regulations"!

Reactions: pelagic_one
Are you on a cruise ship? Just curious. I've taken drones to Mexico many times on private and commercial flights without a problem. I never fly if it looks like it could tick someone off. Mexicans are very hospitable so If you manage to make someone angry you've probably really pushed the envelope. Just keep it to the tourist locations. Military installments are off limits.
I'm on a commerical vessel. I'm a seafarer. Bought my drone here in the US and we'll be there around March.

Having been in the U.S. Navy myself, I’ve seen the intricacies behind landing a fixed wing drone onto a moving vessel. So I focused on your statement above, “...upon arriving....”

Launching and landing from an anchored or moored ship in the quiet Ensenada Harbor should be much easier than the guys trying to match speed over ground, as if it were some kind of underway replenishment exercise.

If you’re not comfortable enough to fly over water, or land on the fantail or a clear, topside area...take a walk into town (outside the Port Authority gates). There’s a pretty long walk from the docks up to the town, so you’ll have plenty of room for a quick flight. The general rule is stay away from people, so if there’s a cruise ship in port, which is often the case, walk in a different direction than the crowds. Cruise passenger traffic is usually directed away from the commercial docks, so you’ll have an entire jetty to yourself for a quick flyover.

The prevailing afternoon winds have gusts too strong for our Minis, so flying in the early morning is best.

Please share some pics and videos of your visit. Also, watch out for other drone traffic along the beach. Most tourists with a drone don’t log onto this forum, and are not as conscientious as you.

Thanks sir! Hoepfully could fly my mini at ensenada and if ever questioned by enforcers, they could understand their drone law and without confiscating or having me pay fine for violations. ?

I grew up in El Paso and spent a lot of time in Mexico. I live in New Mexico and central Texas. My advice is, don't go. It doesn't matter what the law is, if the 'man' wants your money, he will confiscate your possesions and make you pay to get it, or yourself out. It is a dangerous place. There are plenty of other places to vacation.
I know some will say they go all the time and don't have any problems. Those people are just lucky. You 've been warned. It is a very, very dangerous place

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3