DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Pro Inside Auditorium with 600 People?

variable

Reactions
I have been asked to fly our drone inside an auditorium with over 600 people. Is it possible that the cell signals would interfere with the drone? What other things could potentially go wrong?

"What other things could potentially go wrong?"
Plenty.

Rule #1: Never fly over people. Serious injury can be the result.

If you are going to do it, without flying over anyone, prop guards would be a good idea in case you bump into a wall, you won't crash.
If the building has a metal roof, compass can go awry, there will be little or no GPS signal.
I would practice a few times beforehand to see how the AC behaves.
And, I can't stress enough.
Never fly over people.

Use cages for indoor flights. The Mavic can bump into anything, including people without harming them or the drone.

Reactions: variable
Thanks, yeah it should be a clear path. I'm just worried about signal interference
The school’s WiFi is more powerful than ordinary WiFi most likely. Make sure you that doesn’t interfere. One of two scenarios will happen. Either the drone will overpower the Wifi effectively killing the WiFi signal in the auditorium, or the other way around.

I have been asked to fly our drone inside an auditorium with over 600 people. Is it possible that the cell signals would interfere with the drone? What other things could potentially go wrong?
Who did the asking? Was it the management of the venue? Before you even consider doing such a thing make sure that the requester has a commercial liability insurance policy and names you as "An Additionally Insured". This can be a high risk undertaking so don't be shy about CYA.

Reactions: Mossiback
Just from the standpoint of liability, I would not do it.

You need serious training in ATTI mode, and for safety prefereably would use some of the tweaks the admins of this place don't want discussed for some unknown stupid reason.

I assume when you say "with 600 people" is "in the same room" rather than "just above them".
Cage sounds wise.

It’s against FAA rules to fly over people. I personally wouldn’t mess with the Feds. Fines aren’t worth the headache (even if your are able to prevent harm from others)

@variable ~ welcome to the forums, and don't do it! :eek:

As @Kilrah alluded to above ~ I wouldn't do it without modifying the drone for 100% ATTI mode. If the Mavic catches a GPS signal - or loses a GPS signal during flight, you'll wish you had stayed at home in bed. Flying over a crowd of 600 people is nuts, even with insurance. But, doing it without insurance is certifiable.

I'm going to guess that the OP is new to flying, as this is his/her first post. Get educated on FAA guidelines (if you are in the US). This is not a good idea. But ~ if you do it, please post the video and keep us updated on where you are incarcerated :D

Wouldn't even contemplate it and any risk assessment would probably agree.

Imagine the headlines if anything goes wrong.

A cable cam setup would be more suited to this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots