DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near restricted airspace

MikeSD

Reactions
I have owned and flown Phantom 1, 2, Flamewheel 550, and Inspire, where I live.

I have flown at 400' up to near 500' at one time. but I haven't flown a DJI in almost 2 years. I dont know if the restrictions or geofence limitations have chsbged.

I live more than 5 miles from a small airport. Actually not so small but only small planes ever fly over. And they are quite high, considering distance to airport.

I'm wanting to get a Mavic 2 PRO. I doubt I'll be flying it much above tree top where I live. But I would like to fly it a little in the neighborhood.

Does geofencing prevent the Mavic from taking off, or will it just enforce altitude restrictions? I'd hate to buy something just to find out I cant fly it any longer where i live. They used to work fine where i live but I'm wondering if anything has changed that might prevent flying

I live about 4 1/2 miles out from a class c and directly in the flight path. That said, DJI will let me go to 197 feet. (Which I never ever come close to especially in the flight path!!!)

Reactions: Rachelise
I live ~6 miles away from SFO and have a smaller airport 5.8 miles to the south. My Mavic pro cannot take off. From my work, same situation, Oakland International airport in one direction & a small airport about 4 miles away, same result : cannot take off. Dji's map on my controller shows clear path between 2 restricted areas but still grounds the bird.

You might want to have someone with the same drone model test your flight path prior to making a purchase.

I live ~6 miles away from SFO and have a smaller airport 5.8 miles to the south. My Mavic pro cannot take off. From my work, same situation, Oakland International airport in one direction & a small airport about 4 miles away, same result : cannot take off. Dji's map on my controller shows clear path between 2 restricted areas but still grounds the bird.

You might want to have someone with the same drone model test your flight path prior to making a purchase.

You are either in SFO Class B or SQL Class D. Both are warning zones, so you should be able acknowledge and then take off.

IMG_72157FAEE142-1.jpeg

1578065320519.jpeg

You are either in SFO Class B or SQL Class D. Both are warning zones, so you should be able acknowledge and then take off.

View attachment 89628

View attachment 89629
Yes, I'm above the "n" in the word San Mateo in your 2nd image. I have tried few different spots, no luck so far. If you follow the orange line of hwy 92 westward, I was able to fly shortly after Laurelwood Park (at Crystal Springs) basically last exit before hitting 280 Freeway.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm above the "n" in the word San Mateo in your 2nd image. I have tried few different spots, no luck so far. If you follow the orange line of hwy 92 westward, I was able to fly shortly after Laurelwood Park (at Crystal Springs) basically last exit before hitting 280 Freeway.

That exact location is uncontrolled, but the DJI GEO zones don't always line up perfectly with the airspace boundaries. But either way - it's only a warning zone and should just give you a warning message to acknowledge - then you can fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus