DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near wildlife

EmuCanFly

Reactions
Can someone tell me what the regulations are for flying in proximity to wildlife? I've seen footage of drones coming within meters from tigers, for example, but I assume there is some regulation that technically says you cannot get within "x meters" of animals, such as nesting birds, etc. Can people let me know where to look?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
From the US Forest Service:
Protect Wildlife & the Environment
  • Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.
  • Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.
  • Follow state wildlife and fish agency regulations on the use of UAS to search for or detect wildlife and fish.
  • Launch the UAS more than 100 meters (328 feet) from wildlife. Do not approach animals or birds vertically with the UAS.

Can someone tell me what the regulations are for flying in proximity to wildlife? I've seen footage of drones coming within meters from tigers, for example, but I assume there is some regulation that technically says you cannot get within "x meters" of animals, such as nesting birds, etc. Can people let me know where to look?
There are no uniform drone regulations and wildlife issues are more likely to be handled by the appropriate wildlife department or authority where you live than by any aviation authority..

Unless you are intentionally harassing an animal, the "stress" of an encounter with a minuscule drone 15-30 feet away is nothing compared to the stress of encountering a large animal intent on eating that same animal.

The rules are the rules and I guess you must obey, but in this case they are silly.

i think the rules cover wildlife in certain areas. all wildlife in all areas are simply not automatically protected. if you can walk into a prairie dog town and start blasting, how are drones a problem? as someone said, intent is the keyword. but since drones are singled out, don't be that guy.

Can someone tell me what the regulations are for flying in proximity to wildlife?
Regulations aside ... The wideangle lens on your drone is about the worst possible lens for wildlife photography.
You can't get close enough to get any worthwhile wildlife photos without being at a distance that would be considered harrassing.
Forget your drone for wildlife photography and use a decent telephoto lens on your real camera.

Regulations aside ... The wideangle lens on your drone is about the worst possible lens for wildlife photography.
You can't get close enough to get any worthwhile wildlife photos without being at a distance that would be considered harrassing.
Forget your drone for wildlife photography and use a decent telephoto lens on your real camera.
Agree.. except perhaps a high perspective of a large herd, like the caribou migration in northern Quebec.

Up to a certain point, I do agree. Spending time to film/photograph wildlife in Sweden though, there are some instances I would like to have some additional footage of a group or a single animal from the air. Still using the 500mm in my Canon to get the closer pictures (distance ca. 250 to 300 meter). The drone then is to show an oversight of the location.

Reactions: EmuCanFly
Have only flown once really close to wild life and took this video using my MAVIC AIR. I now have a MAVIC2 ZOOM so if the chance comes again I have the feeling I could get closer. The safety features stopped me getting closer.
The video can be found at

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
I have been using my mavic 2 zoom to harass the pigeons eating all of the cherries off of the trees. It works pretty good. Bird abatement might be a niche part of the UAS industry that hasn’t been fully explored yet.

Reactions: AMann
Since you give no indication of what country you are talking about I don't understand how people can offer correct advice.

Slow and it doesn’t scare them, I do it daily so they see it as no threat

326d6dcbecdfa4206a9991af6b869891.jpg

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
It’s great that you’re asking this question, it will make you so much better a wildlife photographer!

Basically, if you or your drone alters the natural behavior of a protected animal in any way, it’s too close. In the US under the US marine mammal protection act, the US Fish and Wildlife service recommends no closer than 1000 feet from marine mammals for drones, and the migratory bird species protection act (which is an international agreement and law in many signatory countries) protects raptors and all other migratory birds from harassment (take), which includes making them fly from nests, stop eating, etc.

As a hobby wildlife photographer (also while working as a wildlife biologist in my previous career), I follow this code of ethics whenever I go out to photograph wildlife:

Last edited:
It’s great that you’re asking this question, it will make you so much better a wildlife photographer!

Basically, if you or your drone alters the natural behavior of a protected animal in any way, it’s too close. In the US under the US marine mammal protection act, the US Fish and Wildlife service recommends no closer than 1000 feet from marine mammals for drones, and the migratory bird species protection act (which is an international agreement and law in many signatory countries) protects raptors and all other migratory birds from harassment (take), which includes making them fly from nests, stop eating, etc.

As a hobby wildlife photographer (also while working as a wildlife biologist in my previous career), I follow this code of ethics whenever I go out to photograph wildlife:

Wow a thousand feet? I mean if I'm flying down a river at 50-100' it would be very difficult knowing if indeed there is any wildlife around. Sometimes I might spook up a bird hidden in the ground cover. Not that I was looking to chase or follow it but how would you know it would be there? When I bass fish I'm constantly approaching some birds foraging as I work the bank and the birds will fly off. I've also been flying in places where a flock of birds enter my area and all of a sudden they're all around me... actually shook me up a bit. Not saying you're wrong AMann but it just seems a bit excessive at having to stay1000' away. I'd like to hear more of your opinion as I've never thought I was causing issues. Thanks.

Wow a thousand feet? I mean if I'm flying down a river at 50-100' it would be very difficult knowing if indeed there is any wildlife around. Sometimes I might spook up a bird hidden in the ground cover. Not that I was looking to chase or follow it but how would you know it would be there? When I bass fish I'm constantly approaching some birds foraging as I work the bank and the birds will fly off. I've also been flying in places where a flock of birds enter my area and all of a sudden they're all around me... actually shook me up a bit. Not saying you're wrong AMann but it just seems a bit excessive at having to stay1000' away. I'd like to hear more of your opinion as I've never thought I was causing issues. Thanks.

That 1000’ was for marine mammals, not land animals. With a drone, NOAA recommends 1000’ AGL from marine mammals- whales, etc., but they meant distance. For boats, its less or more restrictive depending on the species:

For the southern group of Orcas in the state of Washington, it may change again because they are a popular species for whale watching boats, and it may be a cause for their population decline:

Last edited:
That 1000’ was for marine mammals, not land animals. With a drone, NOAA recommends 1000’ AGL from marine mammals- whales, etc., but they meant distance.
WIldlife authorities all over the world have simply said that drones are aircraft and used the regulations the put in place in the 1970s and 80s for real planes.
Obviously a seagull-sized drone has significantly less impact on a whale (probably close to zero) and the imposition of aircraft rules on drones is overkill.

Reactions: AMann
WIldlife authorities all over the world have simply said that drones are aircraft and used the regulations the put in place in the 1970s and 80s for real planes.
Obviously a seagull-sized drone has significantly less impact on a whale (probably close to zero) and the imposition of aircraft rules on drones is overkill.

You may be right, but I was just pointing out current regulations and wouldn’t want to use that as my defense against a ticket for violating the marine mammal protection act in front of a Federal Magistrate ;)

Also keep in mind that the drone pilot may be on a boat and has to keep back as well...

Reactions: EmuCanFly
All I can say is, "you've got to be kidding me!"

A 10,000-pound killer whale which is 98% under the water even when on the surface is going to be spooked by a 1-pound drone that is twenty feet away???

Not a chance.

I live near some of the most famous natural preserves in the world, and hike or explore several times a week. The idea that a drone is going to be a threat, in any way, shape, manner, or form to any animal is just plain nonsense.

Here's a video showing the absolute panic ;) a small flying object induces in wildlife in my backyard:

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka