DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyelectric

Reactions
I bought a MA for one purposes, Chase off a woodpecker that likes riddling my metal fireplace vents at 6:15AM, want to chase him off. My response would be to open my 2nd story window and fly my MA out the window up to the roof ( just the bee buzzing sound should scare the bird off . Just bought the drone today but due to never operating one before, I’m guessing there would be a bit of a learning curve? I would need to fly in a “manual mode”, no gps inside the house and transitioning through the window (2 1/2 ft wide ) where the ground would drop instantly away, (could be a sensor challenge?) as well as the return. Lastly, Is there an idle mode for the drone where I could charge it and park it on the roof the night before and then fire it up when the bird comes knocking the next morning?
Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I would probably fly it from ground level to allow it to get a gps fix and set the home point, less chance of a flight problem

There is no idle mode, where you can turn the drone on remotely

I bought a MA for one purposes, Chase off a woodpecker that likes riddling my metal fireplace vents at 6:15AM, want to chase him off. My response would be to open my 2nd story window and fly my MA out the window up to the roof ( just the bee buzzing sound should scare the bird off . Just bought the drone today but due to never operating one before, I’m guessing there would be a bit of a learning curve? I would need to fly in a “manual mode”, no gps inside the house and transitioning through the window (2 1/2 ft wide ) where the ground would drop instantly away, (could be a sensor challenge?) as well as the return. Lastly, Is there an idle mode for the drone where I could charge it and park it on the roof the night before and then fire it up when the bird comes knocking the next morning?

I get your desire to spook the wood pecker, I had a similar issue years prior to having a drone and it is infuriating.

Using a drone to run it off is a brilliant idea, but if you have zero experience and are new to drones you have a high likelihood of crash and burn. Unless you have money to burn, take a deep breath and go learn to fly and forget about the woodpecker for a couple weeks. Then add a poison dart gun to your drone and go kill the **** bird after you learn to fly :)

Reactions: genesimmons
I get your desire to spook the wood pecker, I had a similar issue years prior to having a drone and it is infuriating.

Using a drone to run it off is a brilliant idea, but if you have zero experience and are new to drones you have a high likelihood of crash and burn. Unless you have money to burn, take a deep breath and go learn to fly and forget about the woodpecker for a couple weeks. Then add a poison dart gun to your drone and go kill the **** bird after you learn to fly :)

And BTW, the skill and luck needed to fly your bird from inside the house then through the window is nearly impossible. You will have to launch the bird from a flat surface with clear view to the GPS sattelites above (preferably your yard or driveway, but the roof will work too in a pinch). You will learn the crash-and-burn method otherwise. Good luck :)

This is hilarious in so many ways! Sorry, I have no constructive feedback to your question, but please keep us updated on gow it goes!

Make sure you use the prop guards and turn off the obstacle avoidance. but before you even try practice outside flying through a box or something. again PROP GUARDS A MUST. Good Luck

If you are serious, this is hilarious (just picturing this situation). Don't worry about the rapid change in altitude, sensors will be fine. I would worry about you flying it though a window, though. especially since you've never flown before. also you could lose signal if you're inside and the drone is outside and you can't see it.

Best bet would be to fly at the pecker while you're outside, but that would involve getting out of bed

You'd better first tried it with a cheap camera drone without GPS. Wouldn't have cost you more than 75 -100 bucks. A Tello would probably be ok for this.

On a second thought... could you have the Mav sitting in the fireplace and ascen straight up tthrough the chimney? Then you don’t need to get out of bed to open the window in the morning... :rolleyes:

A fake crow on the chimney could also help.

Turn on drone and remote, chunk the drone out the window and pull both controls in and down... or is it out and up. The crashing sound the drone makes as it hits the ground should do the trick. Maybe some well placed metal garbage cans could enhance the acoustics.

For some reason this thread reminds me of a song by Jerry Reed

https://g.co/kgs/zQyh97

Reactions: JoostGT3
My strategy would be:
A) Get up a 6:10am
B) Open window as wide as possible
C) Wait for said woodpecker
D) Throw drone with as much force and accuracy as possible in woodpeckers direction
E) If this fails, purchase inspire 2 and repeat steps A-D as above.

I would probably fly it from ground level to allow it to get a gps fix and set the home point, less chance of a flight problem

There is no idle mode, where you can turn the drone on remotely
Do you know if anyone has tested the battery life or drain rate while the MA is activated and just waiting for a launch command?

Okay, an update, last things first:
1. Idle mode, what is the battery drain rate when the drone is setup, powered on, connected to controller and ready to fly?
This turns out to be about 1%/minute drain rate with 4K video enabled and obstinate avoidence turned off but gps on and using 2.4ghz comm link.
2. The point of my drone purchase, chase off a woodpecker. Well, a bit of a let down. Due to this being norther Oregon and very rainy, the woodpecker has only come around 3 times since my drone purchase. The first time he raddled the vent, (6:15am ) I kept from the bed, grabbed the drone on my way down the stairs and powered it up, quietly placed it on the back (cold/wet) deck ran in and plopped myself down on the couch, fired up the controller, plugged in my phone, accessed the DJI app and... was greeted with a software update. The pecker was long gone after my update.
On the 2nd day (5 days after the first), I swear I had the drone powered up and placed on the back porch within 45 sec of his pecking, connected my iPhone and powered up the controller and... nothing, he had stopped.. he normally pecks for at least a minute...but not today.☹️ 3rd day, a week of rain between today and latest attempt. This time I got up at 6:00am, drone on the back deck “waiting” ( this is when I was doing a battery drain check). By the time 6:30 came up, the drone was at 59% bat life, and no wooodpecker. He was a no show. Maybe after 4 weeks he found a girl bird that was giving him some “feather”? Yes, the whole point was to scare him off so I could sleep, but now, I’m wide awake waiting ( in frustration).
So, that’s it for this endeavore for now, I’ll let you all know if there are any events.
On the plus side, I REALLY like this drone, a very well thought out design, I plan on buying an iPad adapter for it soon, just to get a bigger picture and to be able to answer my phone when flying the drone if I need to. My only wish is to have real-time stereo vision as I fly through the air view a nice headset.

Reactions: joejaxvic123

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627