DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over coastline in Southern Cambria, CA

Photo Booth

Reactions
I've been having an email conversation with a friend that lives in Cambria, CA. She is vehemently opposed to drones flying around along the coastline in Cambria due to her concerns for marine life and general peace and quiet for anyone enjoying the view. We discussed the fact that the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary prohibits ANY aircraft (including drones) from flying lower than 1,000 feet. We are in agreement that I can't legally fly my Mavic within the boundaries of the MBNMS. We are in agreement that I *can* legally fly my Mavic directly to the east of the MBNMS, just as long as I don't fly directly over or west of the mean high tide line (the western boundary of the MBNMS).

We are also in agreement that I cannot fly my drone over any part of Fiscalini Ranch Preserve (a designated no-fly zone).

Where we are in disagreement is with regard to the waters south of both the MBNMS and Fiscalini. She claims that the southern area is also protected from drone overflight due to it being the Chumash National Marine Sanctuary. However, my research indicates that that area is simply a proposed National Sanctuary. My research indicates that, in 2015, NOAA denied California's request to designate the area as a National Marine Sanctuary. I am completely unable to find any published information for that area that prohibits overflight by drones.

Is anyone aware of any published information that prohibits drone overflight along the coastline that is part of the PROPOSED National Chumash Marine Sanctuary? This is the proposed sanctuary's website:

Chumash Sanctuary

Mark

Can't imagine a drone being any more dangerous than a sea gull.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair