DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over I-75 on thanksgiving ...... i am looking for feedback this my 3rd flight

A bit overexposed but you may be able to fix that post production.
What resolution where you shooting in.

A bit overexposed but you may be able to fix that post production.
What resolution where you shooting in.

I shot it on 1080 but i was having a bit of problem i guess the area had some cell phone towers

So tell us what would you have done if it crashed on the highway and killed someone? its pilots like this that cause all kinds of issues for the rest of us. Heres your feed back ,return your drone where you bought it.

I’m sure you always drive that Corvette of yours right at the speed limit with both hands on the wheel, with your cellphone turned off.

Now that I'm in front of a real computer, I will say the highest resolution I'm seeing on YouTube is crap 240p. Is that correct?

Now that I'm in front of a real computer, I will say the highest resolution I'm seeing on YouTube is crap 240p. Is that correct?

Perhaps the message was delivered wrong but this video does reflect a rapidly growing perception that many drone operators don't care about public safety.

I realize that the odds of a drone falling on the interstate are very low; but, wait for the first TV station to run this video with the caption “drone operator blatantly violates FAA rules not just passing over a major highway, but hovering above it!” The follow up will be that we need even more drone controls.

The “I don't give a ****” attitude is pervasive across the forums.

Tonight on NBC news they discussed the danger drones pose to commercial aviation, again due to the stupidity of just a few of us. Whether it's true or false the perception continues to grow that we're dangerous to public safety and privacy.

Another forum topic complains about the 9 question quiz that DJI has imposed on us. Maybe they’re trying to protect themselves from law suits, but may they’re trying to protect us from ourselves and preserve drone flying as a hobby.

Yet, other forum topics cover how to hack software so we can illegally fly in no fly zones, like it’s our right.

I'll just skip,the forum topic on altitude records as I’m sure all the U.S. participants have FAA waivers to fly above 400 ft. (I know, you say that only applies to licensed pilots, not hobbyists.

I’m sure I’ll get many negative responses about this rant. But drones are not guns. And we have neither the constitution nor the NRA to back us up.

It will be a sad day if recreational droning is outlawed for all of us because of the ignorance of just a few of us.

To “snoopdrone” please don't hover over interstate highways as it’s against FAA regulations.

Enough said.

Perhaps the message was delivered wrong but this video does reflect a rapidly growing perception that many drone operators don't care about public safety.

I realize that the odds of a drone falling on the interstate are very low; but, wait for the first TV station to run this video with the caption “drone operator blatantly violates FAA rules not just passing over a major highway, but hovering above it!” The follow up will be that we need even more drone controls.

The “I don't give a ****” attitude is pervasive across the forums.

Tonight on NBC news they discussed the danger drones pose to commercial aviation, again due to the stupidity of just a few of us. Whether it's true or false the perception continues to grow that we're dangerous to public safety and privacy.

Another forum topic complains about the 9 question quiz that DJI has imposed on us. Maybe they’re trying to protect themselves from law suits, but may they’re trying to protect us from ourselves and preserve drone flying as a hobby.

Yet, other forum topics cover how to hack software so we can illegally fly in no fly zones, like it’s our right.

I'll just skip,the forum topic on altitude records as I’m sure all the U.S. participants have FAA waivers to fly above 400 ft. (I know, you say that only applies to licensed pilots, not hobbyists.

I’m sure I’ll get many negative responses about this rant. But drones are not guns. And we have neither the constitution nor the NRA to back us up.

It will be a sad day if recreational droning is outlawed for all of us because of the ignorance of just a few of us.

To “snoopdrone” please don't hover over interstate highways as it’s against FAA regulations.

Enough said.

Make sure to have enuf drones stock piled and figure your stuff out enuf to fly the rest of your life then. Just like if they outlaw guns, criminals will still use and have them. I like to think the same goes with drones.

Reactions: BigEegit
There are ways of communicating such information to new pilots in a civil way without being an unhelpful, holier-than-thou *******.

"Heres your feed back ,return your drone where you bought it" isn't being helpful or constructive to anyone.

We were all new at this once. We probably all joined this site to learn and help each other. People should try to remember that.

You are correct Mr Salty and it does help if one would remember
guideline # 14 as well as the other's .
14. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.
And that is directed at @vette19862000 .
Now I am just commenting in this before it goes south so everyone that want's to post in this just be sure and remember it .:)

You are correct Mr Salty and it does help if one would remember
guideline # 14 as well as the other's .

And that is directed at @vette19862000 .
Now I am just commenting in this before it goes south so everyone that want's to post in this just be sure and remember it .:)

Your correct dirkclod , i could have said it differently. Were I live we just had drones fly on to a naval air base. and it did fire me up. my apologize to those in the forum.

In the beginning I didn't care much for every single one of the rules. You see somewhere you think might be neat to fly over, or what you think is going to be the perfect shot, and all the rules go out the window. All those guys you see trying to film landing planes at the end of the runway, they aren't thinking about or may not even know all the rules. In their mind they aren't hurting anyone and they are getting some of the greatest video in the world that no one else can get. Or so they think. I admit it, I pushed the limits and went across the line a few times but not filming other aircraft at the end of a runway. I still do from time to time push the envelope, but I don't do it without doing a risk assessment and looking at what the law and other rules say, and then looking at what the real risk number is. So in the beginning I too might have hovered over a highway, maybe not one quite as busy, but that isn't to say I haven't flown over/across roads now, I just don't hover over them. If I need to cross one I do it quickly and try not to do it over stopped traffic or I try to do it when no cars are coming, the ole look both ways before you cross. So my suggestion to snoopdrone would be that in the future think about how you could have gotten that same shot without hovering right over the road. Maybe you could have hovered just off the edge of the roadway and tilted your gimbal a little forward instead of straight down. Also think about maybe not quite as high. You might want the way up there as an establishing shot, but honestly sometimes up close and personal is way more interesting. Just because we can fly high doesn't mean we always should. In the case of flying over highways if suddenly your bird loses power and you are at 400 feet, you have no idea what so ever where it is going to hit the ground where as if you are 100 feet or less you can calculate better where it might fall in a failure and then let that knowledge help you assess the risk before you fly over, under or through something. So instead of hovering 400 feet straight over the highway, you might mitigate the risk a little better by being 100 feet over the median, or the shoulder of the road to get that long look down the straightaway. Just some thoughts on how to improve and be a little safer. But the answer is NOT to box your bird up and send it back or tuck tail and run, the answer is to learn, like we all should be continuing to do, and for the most part there are some great people on this forum that aren't judgemental and are willing to give you some good sound advise rather than just criticize. Here endith the lesson.

I was not judging.... just getting you situated for what was to probably come about (I did not miss the point). Personally, I can see flying _over_ an interstate or road as there is a limited time where the Mavic could fail and fall into the roadway. But trying to hover over it is a risk that simply could be avoided. Hovering slight to the side would give the same view without the risk. IMHO., the angle of the view can even look better then directly overhead.

I do think this was just something you did not consider and, at least to me, not the worse thing that could be done. I don't see it as a really big deal. Just something to know that flying over groups of people is not a good idea. It would not matter that they are in cars, that may be more dangerous. Someone see's an object crashing right in front of them and does not know what it is, so they swerve and...... it gets messy after that.

In the beginning I didn't care much for every single one of the rules. You see somewhere you think might be neat to fly over, or what you think is going to be the perfect shot, and all the rules go out the window. All those guys you see trying to film landing planes at the end of the runway, they aren't thinking about or may not even know all the rules. In their mind they aren't hurting anyone and they are getting some of the greatest video in the world that no one else can get. Or so they think. I admit it, I pushed the limits and went across the line a few times but not filming other aircraft at the end of a runway. I still do from time to time push the envelope, but I don't do it without doing a risk assessment and looking at what the law and other rules say, and then looking at what the real risk number is. So in the beginning I too might have hovered over a highway, maybe not one quite as busy, but that isn't to say I haven't flown over/across roads now, I just don't hover over them. If I need to cross one I do it quickly and try not to do it over stopped traffic or I try to do it when no cars are coming, the ole look both ways before you cross. So my suggestion to snoopdrone would be that in the future think about how you could have gotten that same shot without hovering right over the road. Maybe you could have hovered just off the edge of the roadway and tilted your gimbal a little forward instead of straight down. Also think about maybe not quite as high. You might want the way up there as an establishing shot, but honestly sometimes up close and personal is way more interesting. Just because we can fly high doesn't mean we always should. In the case of flying over highways if suddenly your bird loses power and you are at 400 feet, you have no idea what so ever where it is going to hit the ground where as if you are 100 feet or less you can calculate better where it might fall in a failure and then let that knowledge help you assess the risk before you fly over, under or through something. So instead of hovering 400 feet straight over the highway, you might mitigate the risk a little better by being 100 feet over the median, or the shoulder of the road to get that long look down the straightaway. Just some thoughts on how to improve and be a little safer. But the answer is NOT to box your bird up and send it back or tuck tail and run, the answer is to learn, like we all should be continuing to do, and for the most part there are some great people on this forum that aren't judgemental and are willing to give you some good sound advise rather than just criticize. Here endith the lesson.
Thanks for the feedback well said, learning experience, i will definitely try that shot on the edge of the hwy if the opportunity comes up.

Given that the Mavic is capable of stunning 4K video and VERY acceptable 1080P, there isn't much point in uploading a 240 resolution video at all.
I have a 15 year old kids camera in a drawer somewhere that can do better than that.
Just sayin'
:rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S