DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over stadiums outside the 1 hr before and after restrictions

mavicmartin

Reactions
Hello,

Within the US, I am aware of the rule regarding the prohibition of flying over a stadium 1 hour before and after a major sporting event, such NCAA and MLB, etc. assuming there are no other NFZ restrictions (e.g a stadium in Washington DC) does anyone have any feedback or experience flying over a stadium. I am thinking of trying to get some footage of an NCAA football stadium but would go early in the morning, just after sunrise, for a game kicking off at 4:30 pm. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.

Seems to me that this would be safe, and legal. That said, fly from a distance, on a roof if possible, to minimize encounters with police or guards.

Experience? Yes. I'd _HIGHLY_ recommend that you make sure you are 100% legal. For example, where you take off from, make sure you are not on someone else's property, if you are within 5 miles of any airport make sure you have called them, etc. If the owner of the stadium finds out that you are flying a drone anywhere around the stadium there is a _good_ chance that they will call the police to investigate. I'm not saying that you are doing anything wrong, it's just that the owners of the stadium would rather not have any one fly around their stadium at any time (it sets a bad example).

Aside from the safety concerns you should keep in ind that sports as an industry is extremely protective of their trademarks. They attempt to tightly control all commercial use of images of their stadiums, teams and logos.

So even if they weren't concerned about safety they are likely to be very interested in why you are filming

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme