DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over State Park Question

Reactions
Has anybody used, launched and landed outside of Hawaii State Park jurisdiction and flown over the state park? Hawaii State Laws states "The use, launching or landing of drones or other types of aircraft is prohibited." on state parks. I've seen YouTube videos doing this and wondering if this is illegal? If not, how was your experience with park rangers, law enforcement or with the public? Thanks in advance!

I'm in Ohio. But when it comes to state parks in general, my understanding is they control the property, but not the sky above it – the FAA does. I believe flying over a state park is OK. But, taking off or landing on it is not. Of course, it'd be wise to get more opinions and if you fly over it, be respectful and keep at a altitude that is not annoying to other users of the park.

I'm in Ohio. But when it comes to state parks in general, my understanding is they control the property, but not the sky above it – the FAA does. I believe flying over a state park is OK. But, taking off or landing on it is not. Of course, it'd be wise to get more opinions and if you fly over it, be respectful and keep at a altitude that is not annoying to other users of the park.

Thanks for your input! Yes, I agree to get more opinions. Hopefully anyone that has actually experienced flying over state park in Hawaii
can give us his experience.

To take off or land on ANY U.S. state park property is not legal. Fly over them all you want. If one were to break this law, they would definitely have to hide, not letting a single person see you take off or land on the property. Also, i wouldn't make more than one flight. And have a good back pack to hide the drone in. Have a good B.S. story to tell any park rangers if you get caught. I hear the fines are pretty bad.

I actually was doing this once, when a NEWBIE. I didn't know I was standing on state park property. I was just on the edge of the property standing next to the road for all to see. I was approached by a couple wildlife patrol officers. They asked what I was doing there. I said, just looking around. They said you can't fly drones here. I said, I didn't know. I landed the drone and left. It could have been worse.

Reactions: flip2dabone2000
To take off or land on ANY U.S. state park property is not legal. Fly over them all you want. If one were to break this law, they would definitely have to hide, not letting a single person see you take off or land on the property. Also, i wouldn't make more than one flight. And have a good back pack to hide the drone in. Have a good B.S. story to tell any park rangers if you get caught. I hear the fines are pretty bad.

I actually was doing this once, when a NEWBIE. I didn't know I was standing on state park property. I was just on the edge of the property standing next to the road for all to see. I was approached by a couple wildlife patrol officers. They asked what I was doing there. I said, just looking around. They said you can't fly drones here. I said, I didn't know. I landed the drone and left. It could have been worse.
You can't make that statement without examining drone laws in all the states. In Maryland, state law says that drone operators have to follow applicable FAA laws but does not impose any additional state laws and it states that counties and municipalities cannot impose their own drone rules. Thus, flight in Maryland state parks is permitted but there is a park requirement that drone operators notify the park administrator in advance of the flight.

Reactions: pelagic_one
You can't make that statement without examining drone laws in all the states. In Maryland, state law says that drone operators have to follow applicable FAA laws but does not impose any additional state laws and it states that counties and municipalities cannot impose their own drone rules. Thus, flight in Maryland state parks is permitted but there is a park requirement that drone operators notify the park administrator in advance of the flight.
I wish all states were like Maryland regarding state parks and drone use. I just read their regs. Hawaii though. They seem to have the same restrictive laws as most of the others.

Yes, Maryland has been very proactive in support of drones. The University of Maryland has an active test program for drones and one of the county community colleges offers a drone certificate that covers preparation for part 107 license, flight training, aerial photography and editing training and courses on using the drone in support of agriculture.

I'm from Ohio also, Ohio state parks are off limits on the ground. Just as long as are allowed to fly in the airspace, you can fly over the parks. BUT perception is big. You are "technically" legal to fly over but you may get confronted.

I have done just that. Launched outside the park and flew over the park and came back. Had a ranger see me and stopped. We proceeded to have a conversation about how I could not do that and he was going to write me a ticket. He also talked about confiscating my drone. In the end he was educated and I did it again, just proving my point.

I have done just that. Launched outside the park and flew over the park and came back. Had a ranger see me and stopped. We proceeded to have a conversation about how I could not do that and he was going to write me a ticket. He also talked about confiscating my drone. In the end he was educated and I did it again, just proving my point.

Was this in Hawaii?

That always happens. Law enforcement often doesn't know their own state laws. I almost always get approached by beach patrol when flying my drone over the surf and sand here in FL. They don't care if it's legal or not. If you make anyone on the beach uncomfortable, you'll be asked to pack it up. If you don't they will use nuisance laws, voyersm, invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace, etc etc. even though 99% of the people are walking around with camera phones. You go to a beach, you must expect to be recorded.

To get the final definitive answer to your specific question and location, email the FAA at [email protected]
You will find them very helpful and nice to work with.
Having said that, in general I agree with those above that have said you can be restricted on taking off and landing but State or National Parks don’t have jurisdiction on the airspace above.

In Pennsylvania there are six state parks with designated drone flying areas.

Does Hawaii state park system have a web site you can get an answer from like California has? Here in CA each park may vary in whether they are allowed drones or not. I often fly from within a Ca state park (SRA) near my home. Years ago there was a list of which park had restrictions.

"Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent’s posted order. Posted orders may prohibit drones for numerous reasons, including: protection of threatened species; threats to cultural and natural resources; high fire danger; public safety; recreational conflicts; impacts upon visitor experience privacy; and park unit classification. Therefore, drone users should always check with their local State Park District for any specific posted orders."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird