DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Flying over the lowland prairie on a quiet winter day

IlluminationsfromtheAttic

Reactions

In the mysteriously lumpy prairies of Western Washington, winter is a quiet and subdued season. Oak trees stand with twisted branches bare against the faltering light of January, and the marshes concealed beneath high water. Shadows race over the open plain and through the dense forests which so closely border it as low clouds scud quickly overhead.

Filmed with the DJI Mavic 3, DJI FPV Drone, and Nikon Z6.

The FPV clips at the beginning are distractingly blurry. I nearly bailed out after 45 seconds but I'm glad I didn't. The rest of the video is very nice. I like the music very much; it's particularly well suited to the video. Beautiful countryside.

Reactions: Sky Wombat
The FPV clips at the beginning are distractingly blurry. I nearly bailed out after 45 seconds but I'm glad I didn't. The rest of the video is very nice. I like the music very much; it's particularly well suited to the video. Beautiful countryside.
I spent a long time trying to rescue those FPV clips, I guess I should have just left them out, but I liked the shots too much to just junk them. I'm not sure why, but the DJI FPV drone decided to underexpose the footage really badly, and I didn't realize what had happened till I got it home. With other cameras rescuing underexposed video isn't a problem, but with the DJI FPV drone you don't get much wiggle room at all.

Glad you were able to get through that bit, I should have at least stuck it at the end, but narratively I felt like it worked better at the beginning.

EDIT: I hadn't actually rewatched the video after I uploaded it - looks like Youtube compression absolutely mangled the FPV footage.

I thought prairies were all grass land, has the absence of buffalo allowed trees to grow?

I thought prairies were all grass land, has the absence of buffalo allowed trees to grow?
Prairies can be a mix of trees and open grassland. I don't think there were ever buffalo, I believe the grasslands were kept open by a natural fire cycle. Prior to the arrival of Europeans, much of the lowland country from Southern Puget Sound down into the Willamette Valley in Oregon was a mix of oak prairies and deeper forests. Most of it is now farms or subdivisions, but a few small preserves have been protected and restored.

Very nice video. I liked the FPV at the begging. A little dark. You could have lightened it up in post processing. But I always enjoy seeing FPV. The music was well suited for the video. Very good camera and drone control. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: RMS001
Very nice video. I liked the FPV at the begging. A little dark. You could have lightened it up in post processing. But I always enjoy seeing FPV. The music was well suited for the video. Very good camera and drone control. Thanks for posting.
Thank you! The FPV footage came out WAY underexposed and this was as far as I could lighten it up and still end up with a reasonably decent result.

Really well done. Nice music. Yes, YouTube mangled the opening shots with bad compression. Perfect length. I liked it all. Great job!

In the mysteriously lumpy prairies of Western Washington, winter is a quiet and subdued season. Oak trees stand with twisted branches bare against the faltering light of January, and the marshes concealed beneath high water. Shadows race over the open plain and through the dense forests which so closely border it as low clouds scud quickly overhead.

Filmed with the DJI Mavic 3, DJI FPV Drone, and Nikon Z6.
As a rule, I avoid watching FPV clips. They make my eyes and stomach queasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky Wombat
Agree that FPV isn't my favourite way to view things but likewise glad I hung in there because there is some interesting stuff.
Looks like we have fire, wind and die back all going on and makes for some good footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121