Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over the Shanghai Tower - 1000m Altitude! with a Mavic Air

Hummingbird.UAV

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I did a forum search on this video and got no hits. In another post someone asked about flying higher than 500m. This video chronicles the wildest attempt ever. Don't ever attempt this.

Good grief! That's about as dumb of a flight as I've ever seen. I could see doing something this stupid if you were out in the "wilderness" where if your aircraft "failed" and fell to the ground that there would be little chance of injury to people or cars/buildings, etc. That was just plain reckless.

He even landed on the building!
Having difficulties to take off again, and yet after he managed to take off after multiples tries, he went up another 500m when he is already 500m above ground!
Crazy guy!!! Then again if he has the $$$ no worries abt losing his bird...

Wonder any mods. Noticed he launched in 5.8g , not sure when he went up high enough did it changed to 2.4. Cant really see

He even landed on the building!
Having difficulties to take off again, and yet after he managed to take off after multiples tries, he went up another 500m when he is already 500m above ground!

Seems to me that’s why he landed on the building. It recalculated his height to new home established. Agree crazy. Sure cut it close with critical battery level. Very very reckless and irresponsible. Did anyone else notice the condition of that roof? Does not inspire to seek office there.

Reactions: Air_Joe
Good grief! That's about as dumb of a flight as I've ever seen. I could see doing something this stupid if you were out in the "wilderness" where if your aircraft "failed" and fell to the ground that there would be little chance of injury to people or cars/buildings, etc. That was just plain reckless.

Let’s get real here. And this is just a list of Commercial Aircraft Deaths in 2019.

January 14 – 2019 Saha Airlines Boeing 707 crash, a Boeing 707-3J9C overshoots the runway on landing by mistake at Fath Air Base, Iran, killing 15 of 16 people on board.

February 23 – Atlas Air Flight 3591, a Boeing 767-375(ER)(BCF) crashes into Trinity Bay on approach into George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas, killing both crew members and the single passenger.

February 24 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 147, a Boeing 737-800, undergoes an attempted hijacking. All passengers are safely evacuated upon landing at Shah Amanat International Airport in Chittagong and the would-be hijacker is shot dead by Bangladeshi special forces.

March 9 – 2019 Colombia DC-3 crash, a Douglas DC-3, operated by Laser Aéreo, crashes while attempting to land at La Vanguardia Airport, Villavicencio, Colombia. All 11 passengers and 3 crew are killed.

March 10 – Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, a Boeing 737 MAX 8, crashes near Bishoftu, Ethiopia six minutes after taking off from Bole International Airport. All 149 passengers and 8 crew are killed.

May 3 – Miami Air Flight 293, a Boeing 737-81Q overruns the runway on landing at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida, United States. All 143 passengers and crew survive.

May 5 – Aeroflot Flight 1492, a Sukhoi Superjet 100 suffers an inflight emergency on a flight from Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow to Murmansk Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Sheremetyevo Airport where it burns out after landing. 41 of the 78 people on board die.

May 8 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 60, a Bombardier Q400, overruns the runway in bad weather at Yangon International Airport, Myanmar, injuring 18 of the 33 people on board.

May 13 – In the 2019 George Inlet, Alaska mid-air collision, a Taquan Air de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Turbine Otter floatplane collides with a Mountain Air Service de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver over George Inlet, Alaska, United States, with the loss of 1 passenger aboard the DHC-3 and 5 passengers and crew aboard the DHC-2.

June 27 – Angara Airlines Flight 200, an Antonov An-24, suffers an engine failure on takeoff during a domestic flight from Nizhneangarsk Airport to Ulan-Ude Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Nizhneangarsk, runs off the runway and collides with a building. All 43 passengers and two of the four crew survive.

Let’s get real here. And this is just a list of Commercial Aircraft Deaths in 2019.

January 14 – 2019 Saha Airlines Boeing 707 crash, a Boeing 707-3J9C overshoots the runway on landing by mistake at Fath Air Base, Iran, killing 15 of 16 people on board.

February 23 – Atlas Air Flight 3591, a Boeing 767-375(ER)(BCF) crashes into Trinity Bay on approach into George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas, killing both crew members and the single passenger.

February 24 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 147, a Boeing 737-800, undergoes an attempted hijacking. All passengers are safely evacuated upon landing at Shah Amanat International Airport in Chittagong and the would-be hijacker is shot dead by Bangladeshi special forces.

March 9 – 2019 Colombia DC-3 crash, a Douglas DC-3, operated by Laser Aéreo, crashes while attempting to land at La Vanguardia Airport, Villavicencio, Colombia. All 11 passengers and 3 crew are killed.

March 10 – Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, a Boeing 737 MAX 8, crashes near Bishoftu, Ethiopia six minutes after taking off from Bole International Airport. All 149 passengers and 8 crew are killed.

May 3 – Miami Air Flight 293, a Boeing 737-81Q overruns the runway on landing at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida, United States. All 143 passengers and crew survive.

May 5 – Aeroflot Flight 1492, a Sukhoi Superjet 100 suffers an inflight emergency on a flight from Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow to Murmansk Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Sheremetyevo Airport where it burns out after landing. 41 of the 78 people on board die.

May 8 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 60, a Bombardier Q400, overruns the runway in bad weather at Yangon International Airport, Myanmar, injuring 18 of the 33 people on board.

May 13 – In the 2019 George Inlet, Alaska mid-air collision, a Taquan Air de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Turbine Otter floatplane collides with a Mountain Air Service de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver over George Inlet, Alaska, United States, with the loss of 1 passenger aboard the DHC-3 and 5 passengers and crew aboard the DHC-2.

June 27 – Angara Airlines Flight 200, an Antonov An-24, suffers an engine failure on takeoff during a domestic flight from Nizhneangarsk Airport to Ulan-Ude Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Nizhneangarsk, runs off the runway and collides with a building. All 43 passengers and two of the four crew survive.
What's your point? That the magnitude of what this drone operator did doesn't come close to the real deaths you cite? All I'm saying is that what he did was totally irresponsible and that's the kind of crap that will eventually ground us all.

What's your point? That the magnitude of what this drone operator did doesn't come close to the real deaths you cite? All I'm saying is that what he did was totally irresponsible and that's the kind of crap that will eventually ground us all.
I'll stand under a UAV 10" or 1000' and feel perfectly confident! Boarding a Commercial Aircraft not so much, the hairs on the back of the neck get a'little itchy. My point was, the "odds" are, that flight was just fine.

Don’t follow relavence to the OP’s topic or any comments on same.

Obviously NOT legal. The idiot just put that word in the title in some daft attempt at convincing the YT warriors the flight was made legally.

What is also disturbing is the amount of of 'positive' comments on YT regarding the reckless flight. says a lot for the mentality of the viewers.

Reactions: GFields
I'll stand under a UAV 10" or 1000' and feel perfectly confident! Boarding a Commercial Aircraft not so much, the hairs on the back of the neck get a'little itchy. My point was, the "odds" are, that flight was just fine.
Now that's a swell standard to live by. Odds are I could shoot a big game rifle straight up in the air in a populated area and the bullet would fall to earth and wouldn't hit anybody but it's probably not a good idea to do it despite the slim odds of hurting someone. I basically despise over regulation in all aspects of life but people need to use common sense.

Yeah.... naaah. This was totally stupid and falls squarely into the "reckless" category of aviation rules anywhere. Anyone who thinks this was just fantastic is obviously just a punter. You might just as well watch a video of a dunk driver and yell "Man! That was ORSOME!"

Was the view great? Hell yeah of course it was. Legal and responsible? Pig's arse. I did laugh when he landed about 500m up and wasn't able to take off again for a while. Imagine trying to retrieve that. What the video also revealed to me was a glaring defect in DJI's firmware.

Mind you, it did make me ponder the following:
  • How do they keep the windows clean that high?
  • How do they get the maintenance guys to replace the Silastic sealant on the roofing panels? By parachute? CH-47 Chinook? Trebuchet?
  • Do you need a permit to be a combination peeping tom and building inspector? Find out next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel!
Being over a populous area, all he needed was one mishap and it could have spelled disaster for anyone below. If he had hit the building with a prop, had an ESC burnout, or anything else that would turn it into a rock, the resulting investigation would have been a real circus. Considering that skyscrapers have their own weather systems, I was just waiting for the machine to get trapped in a vortex ring state and plummet to the ground, hopefully taking this idiot out.

And then you wonder why the drone industry has such a bad reputation. It's from idiots like this. If anything, it makes it fairly obvious why (if I've heard correctly) DJI is going to be outfitting ADS-B receivers to all future product. No doubt it'll link in to the flight controller and make it impossible to fly near enough to any aircraft to present a danger.

And the decision from the judges?
"It's a two-xxxxxxxx rating from me!"

Thank you. Please tune in next time for another episode of "Drones Got Talent."

Reactions: Twocalf
Not legal. In the event of crashing on the road it could have caused others to crash their cars. That is why one hasd to have all the flight safety data etc. in place - so that in the event of a fatal crash, culpability will not then be charged on the pilot. Culpable manslaughter.. hate to think how many years of 'bird' that would be! 2% battery on landing. He should have flown it down not relied upon auto landing - too slow. Many things wrong with this flight;.

I watched this video while eating breakfast.Needless to say, I immediately lost my appetite. I had my heart in my mouth as the drone ascended over the building, and when he went through the opening of the building I thought for sure the pilot had lost his mind. I agree with all of the comments of his carelessness, but wow, what an amazing set of gonads this guy has. I've been to the Pudong area of Shanghai- it is one of the most amazing feats of architecture I have ever seen. This point of view made it even more amazing to me. The Chinese are really coming!

There is not a single thing I would point as positive about this irresponsible, careless, dumbest spoiled rich individual. If I had money I would search and seek to prosecute this idiot. I really hope someone get him down.

I don’t quite understand the majority of the comments here. The fellow in the video did something wrong clearly, but doesn’t warrant the excessive attitude here. He flew it questionably and landed safely.

Would you say the same thing about somebody who is driving 10 mph over the speed limit and yet didn’t harm anybody? In that case somebody’s life really is in danger.

The person certainly exceeded the limits but even if It hit a building and fell the chances of it falling on somebody and killing them are virtually nothing. There has never been a case that I know of where a drone, excluding military, has fell out of the sky and killed somebody.
Your chances of getting hit by lightning are better. Your chances of getting hit AND KILLED by a car, are much greater even if they are following the speed limit, or crashing in a Plane.

Well after looking through our new Canadian regulations, maybe this flight is not too illegal. The new reg allow the kind of flight outlined in the graphic below. So I guess you could fly up the side of the CN tower in Toronto to 100 feet above the top of the antenna. Would have to land on the top of the observation deck to get above 500m though.
The Shanghai Tower (that's the round one, not the one he landed on) tops out at 632m or 2073ft and he did top this by more than 100ft therefore illegal. Should have quit at 662m.
Drones over buildings.png

Reactions: Bryce steiner
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica