DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water

JESTER79

Reactions
Hi all,
I’m a newbie and have only got my MPP in the past month and have only done a few flights and still testing the capabilities and learning as I go.
Just wondering has anyone else (that live near the sea or lakes) gone on missions way out on water and been worried about their baby losing signal or being hit by a seagull! I have only gone about 200mtrs offshore but am wanting to venture our past ships that are at an anchorage point around 3km out.
Cheers
PJ

Hi all,
I’m a newbie and have only got my MPP in the past month and have only done a few flights and still testing the capabilities and learning as I go.
Just wondering has anyone else (that live near the sea or lakes) gone on missions way out on water and been worried about their baby losing signal or being hit by a seagull! I have only gone about 200mtrs offshore but am wanting to venture our past ships that are at an anchorage point around 3km out.
Cheers
PJ

Shots taken with my MPP. I didn’t get too close to the water and turned downward sensors off.

Hi all,
Cheers
PJ

You might want to consider using Litchi to automate your flights. We have a DSAR water mission coming up in 2 weeks. The mission i 13 minutes long, all over water.

I have only gone about 200mtrs offshore but am wanting to venture our past ships that are at an anchorage point around 3km out.
Flying at sea is safer and better than on land.
Nothing to hit and no interference.

Reactions: CJH92474
grip it and rip it. I have flown miles out to sea and I am over the river a lot since it is right by my house. I think you are safer over the water when it comes to range and interference potential. But if you misjudge or your settings "land" your aircraft then you have a problem.

Great footage! Very beautiful! Love the downward shots at 1.14 minutes.

Thanks. Scary! I wasn’t exactly standing next to it.

Most my flights are over water.
Went 9000 ft. one-way yesterday all over water with everything turned on, no problems what so ever.

Most my flights are over water.
Went 9000 ft. one-way yesterday all over water with everything turned on, no problems what so ever.

Hi Scott,
I see in your profile pic you have those floats, do you have any issues with drag or turbulence when windy?
Good idea to have especially if you want some nice close ups of the waterline.

Reactions: Thomas B
Over water I always use a Getterback. Sometimes pontoons also. May not save the bird, but will aid recovery of the hulk in a worst scenario.

@JESTER79

About the only time I use them is when I am low over water/waterline taking wildlife pics.
The wind will push them around, also your motors run higher rpms.

I would not fly with them in windy conditions.

Hi all,
Cheers
PJ

I fly over water regularly. You have to maintain your gear... trust it... and also realize that if you have a catastrophic failure beyond your control, you will ultimately lose your bird.

3rd party insurance can mitigate some of the cost.

Flying over water IS risky, but people lose their drones over land too.

I wouldn’t worry about seagulls.

Enjoy your drone!!

Pete

I fly over water regularly. You have to maintain your gear... trust it... and also realize that if you have a catastrophic failure beyond your control, you will ultimately lose your bird.

3rd party insurance can mitigate some of the cost.

Flying over water IS risky, but people lose their drones over land too.

Enjoy your drone!!

Pete
You may want to reconsider the “...wouldn’t worry about seagulls” part. Crows attacked my Mavic Pro 2, crashing and destroying it. Know your environment and pertinent variables therein. For instance- do you know much about the behavior of seagulls and territorial behavior? I don’t. 1A2B0FC5-A555-4DF5-B7EE-18154186D7C8.png

Here is the YouTube of the crash on flight path replay.

If it goes down say bye bye - if u have dji care refresh u need the drone to qualify for it - I am always nervous over water

I fly over water almost every time I take to the sky. Here in Nova Scotia the best views and scenery seems to be over our salt marshes, tidal pools, oceans and craggy shore lines.
Am I nervous? most decidedly so but I have near perfect connection out to 2 km away and further. No interference from other signals and so on. I just push the right stick forward and hope my baby returns. I accept the fact that a failure will be catastrophic and my care refresh will be useless. So far, so good.:)

Reactions: dwolfe002 and Ren57
Hi,
Flying over water is providing mostly a better signal, as there is mostly direct line of sight. However the tricky parts can get the winds. So you want to take strong wind warnings serious. Especially when winds come from the back, as you then need a lot more power to fly back.

When flying from a boat you should exercise start and landing out of the Hand and let your Home Position follow you.

Here are 2 of my over water videos, second one was operated from a boat.

Reactions: JESTER79
I fly over water regularly.

Enjoy your drone!!

Pete
Seagulls are often aggressive around theirs nests during the birthing season. I've been attacked twice without knowing I was near their nest. Definitely worry about seagulls, keep your distance and always fly with VLOS when near seagulls. When you see a gull approaching, ascend straight up. They can't fly straight up like you, but they can fly all other directions fast.

the only difference between flying over water as apposed to land, is the fact that you are most likely not going to be able to retrieve your drone from a watery grave, but that is a risk that you take. i flew over a large lake today,for the first time and i must admit,that i was very nervous, as i knew that should something have gone wrong, my mav would have been a goner,every flight we do is a calculated risk,but every successful return home makes it worth while

Reactions: Porky

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy