DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water

not really just turn off the downwards sensors and you should be ok it is only a precaution if you plan to fly very close to the water as it has been shown that the sensors can be fooled by reflections from the surface

Reactions: Dronage
It’s best to fly very carefully if you’re planning some close water action!

Note even with vision sensors off drones can have a tendency to descend a little when flying close to the ground (or water) and you don’t have much margin of error.

I am not comfortable flying any distance at less than 5m altitude or so above water and prefer to be 10m+.

Take your time and practice lots.

Reactions: Roman50 and Dronage
Is it best to use sport mode when flying close to the surface of a river?
Thanks,
Rick

Not only should you turn off the sensors as mentioned but also turn off the landing protection very important.

Sport mode over the water is fine if you keep some distance however if you our flying low for effect P mode is your best bet and increase your speed as you lift up slowly , that is the safe bet.

There is no reason to have strange behavior when flying over the water.

Most important is not having magnetic interference from take off point.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain.
Coal

Reactions: Focojoaco
I beg to differ. Flying close to the surface over water does lead to some strange things happening; more so if one is just hovering.

We fly over the water almost every day , and hover within inches of it , as long as you have the sensors off and the landing protection off , we have not had any issues with the Mavic or the Phantom .

Next time you have some strange behavior , try to record it so we can fix it as it should not be happening.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Reactions: Focojoaco
Telling people to abandon caution is not good advice. I prefer to err on the side of caution. I have found my own experience to be similar to what is seen in the video I linked earlier. The user manual is also clear on what one can expect when flying over some surfaces such as water.

I recently flew over the water this past week at a lake, and I disabled all sensors and just kept a close eye. I was not very afraid of hitting something as I was on a boat and could see all the other boats.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thanks,
Rick
No not really and don’t forget that the drone will dip
Thanks,
Rick
It will lose altitude as you move forward. I’ve seen this and horror stories about pilots nose diving into the water. Same effect a helicopter displays when moving forward from a hover.

If you’re trying to get a video of speeding across the water I fly a bit higher and use the camera zoom to give the illusion of being closer. The closer you are to the water or ground for that matter, the faster things can go horribly wrong. Fly higher and zoom in. It’s safer and you can achieve the same effect. JMTC.

Excellent, thanks

There was clearly something wrong with that drone, I wrote to that guy in regards to this behavior not being normal . The Mavic handles the water beautifully as u can see in our video of the Sea Lander Jackets but also any of other videos.. I think his drone had some issues nothing to do with the water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain or float on water.

Reactions: Gazmg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98