DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Sedona Winter 2020 - Chimney Rock in the Wind

Thomas B

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is the second in a series from Sedona. The red rock pillar is called Chimney Rock. Winds were a bit high during filming, but this created incredible shadow play on the ground. Also, as you'll see in the vid, there are actually 3 tall slender rocks in the formation. Hope you enjoy the video.

Great video! Have you used Chimney Rock as a point of interest? It is would be cool to see a 360 looking down.
Thanks.
I didn’t try POI that day due to high winds. Did some in the vids of Coffee Pot Rock and Seven Sacred Pools which will follow.

This is the second in a series from Sedona. The red rock pillar is called Chimney Rock. Winds were a bit high during filming, but this created incredible shadow play on the ground. Also, as you'll see in the vid, there are actually 3 tall slender rocks in the formation. Hope you enjoy the video.
Hi Tom B. again! Very nice footage. It's exactly what I hope to capture on my trip out there as mentioned in a prior post. Sorry no time to hook up with you, but thanks for the example. I hope to film around Monument Valley, outskirts of Moab, etc. without infringing on national parks. also a stay at Enchantment (3rd time) but this time with a drone. Any restrictions on the Chimney Rock site?
Dale
Miami

Hi Dale,
Monument Valley is on an Indian reservation. Driving the 17 mile loop takes about 90 min (w/o drone time) and to hike you may have to get an Indian guide.
Chimney Rock and most of the area around Sedona is OK for flying. Note that the parking lots are in residential neighborhoods and only have 10-15 parking places in each lot... Took as long as 2 hours to park .... note: you add miles to your hike if you park in the wrong one. There is a lot of wilderness area around Sedona... but it can be worked around. Check the “quick look” maps below. First is the Chimney Rock trail and surrounding street map. Second map shows the wilderness boundaries.

A8B48437-9937-4B12-8150-09B018889108.png

13BE8C8D-F09D-4F29-B21C-3FEE6F6595B2.png

Tom:

Your post just made my day! Wow. Thanks for all of the work you just went through to get this posted. I am going to screen grab and print it right now and take it with me.

Many many thanks again.

Reactions: Thomas B
Tom:

Your post just made my day! Wow. Thanks for all of the work you just went through to get this posted. I am going to screen grab and print it right now and take it with me.

Many many thanks again.
While in Sedona be sure to eat at Dahl & DiLuca!

While in Sedona be sure to eat at Dahl & DiLuca!
Ah yes!!! We've eaten there twice and plan to go again and have to decide on 2 more reservations between the following 4 options: Che Ah Chi (in Enchantment), Mariposa, The Hudson, Rene's. We have only 3 nights in Enchantment. Monument Valley 3 nights, Sun Flower Inn-Moab-3 nights (Deadhorse, Canyonlands), Enchantment 3 nights.

Ah yes!!! We've eaten there twice and plan to go again and have to decide on 2 more reservations between the following 4 options: Che Ah Chi (in Enchantment), Mariposa, The Hudson, Rene's. We have only 3 nights in Enchantment. Monument Valley 3 nights, Sun Flower Inn-Moab-3 nights (Deadhorse, Canyonlands), Enchantment 3 nights.
Good choices... especially like Rene’s!

Thomas, That second map looks like a very good map. Is it an online map, or can it be bought in a local store? I think I may be interested in getting all of them for the area.

Nice video! I’m in Sedona now, and hoping to get some red rock videos with my mini tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks @Dannydperez ... Here’s 2 more Sedona flight vids that I like better:
and

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929