DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Air 2 in towns & cities in the UK

Ian in London

Reactions
The new rules that came into force on 31 Dec 2020 actually allow way more freedom to fly inside congested areas which until now, was restricted to those who had spent over £1,000 on a formal permission (ie a PfCO).
Not only can the Mini and Mini 2 now be flown inside towns and cities, larger models can also use the new rules to fly inside more congested areas. Being a member of a flying club or taking a far simpler online training course makes a huge difference to where you can fly:

Hi ian, great video on explaining the new uk rules that came into effect 31 December 2020. I have been watching your YouTube channel for a while now for helpful information on dji drones, and also helpful tips.
I am from the uk(hull?)and received a mavic air2 for Christmas. It's still in the box because of lockdown and weather, it's my first drone and i have been watching most of your video's to get me ready to fly when out of lockdown and decent weather!
Keep up the good work and look forward to more helpful videos ?

Hi ian, great video on explaining the new uk rules that came into effect 31 December 2020. I have been watching your YouTube channel for a while now for helpful information on dji drones, and also helpful tips.
I am from the uk(hull?)and received a mavic air2 for Christmas. It's still in the box because of lockdown and weather, it's my first drone and i have been watching most of your video's to get me ready to fly when out of lockdown and decent weather!
Keep up the good work and look forward to more helpful videos ?
Thanks for that! Pretty frustrating to be in nationwide lockdown when you have a new drone to fly, but the weather's not that great to be flying anyway.
With the Air 2, you'll be way better off taking the new A2 CofC online training; the Certificate of Competence for flying A2 type flights. I'm doing that at the moment and making a new video on what's involved and what it gets you.... Hopefully that will be up in the next week.
Cheers, Ian

Reactions: Troyboy2
Was just about to post a thread regarding this. I've been flying drones a few years now as a hobbyist, had the occasional offer to sell some work but always played by the book, and quite a Pfco costing 4 figures + it wasn't really feasible. My question is once I've obtained my A2 CofC, could I sell some work? Far more respectable price to do the course rather than the "old" pfco. Thanks

Thanks for that! Pretty frustrating to be in nationwide lockdown when you have a new drone to fly, but the weather's not that great to be flying anyway.
With the Air 2, you'll be way better off taking the new A2 CofC online training; the Certificate of Competence for flying A2 type flights. I'm doing that at the moment and making a new video on what's involved and what it gets you.... Hopefully that will be up in the next week.
Cheers, Ian
Hi ian, yes it's frustrating not to fly at the moment, but watching your YouTube channel for more information on the mavic air2. Look forward to your future video of the A2 cofc certificate! Be interesting to learn what it involves to obtain one?
Thanks ?

Was just about to post a thread regarding this. I've been flying drones a few years now as a hobbyist, had the occasional offer to sell some work but always played by the book, and quite a Pfco costing 4 figures + it wasn't really feasible. My question is once I've obtained my A2 CofC, could I sell some work? Far more respectable price to do the course rather than the "old" pfco. Thanks
Anyone can sell their work now, with nothing more than the DMARES drone registration (£9) required.
There’s no distinction between ‘hobby’ and ‘commercial’ filming/flights anymore.

What the A2cofC changes is the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings. It’s only really useful for drones over 250g. Those with MInis can fly closer to people and buildings without the A2cofC.

Reactions: Ian in London

As @Lastrexking mentioned, no distinction now, but if it's a flight that's planned for commercial reasons, CAP722 stipulates commercial (ie non-hobby) 3rd party liability insurance is required....

The new rules that came into force on 31 Dec 2020 actually allow way more freedom to fly inside congested areas which until now, was restricted to those who had spent over £1,000 on a formal permission (ie a PfCO).
Not only can the Mini and Mini 2 now be flown inside towns and cities, larger models can also use the new rules to fly inside more congested areas. Being a member of a flying club or taking a far simpler online training course makes a huge difference to where you can fly:
Hi thanks for the video me and my daughter have both taken and passed the a2 CofC we just can't wait to out and fly after lockdown our choice not to fly during lockdown, I did have a little fly at work because I was asked to by my company to document our new railport that is being built, thanks again for your videos

Another question, as a hobbyist, what would make me need a GVC? Noticed its a lot more expensive than A2CofC? Would a GVC benefit me in anyway?

Another question, as a hobbyist, what would make me need a GVC? Noticed its a lot more expensive than A2CofC? Would a GVC benefit me in anyway?
The GVC is a basic requirement for you to submit additional requests for non-standard flights that don't fit in the 'Open' category. So TBH, the A2CofC is actually the tool that will give you the most additional benefit for hobbyist flights.
Ian

Hi ian, yes it's frustrating not to fly at the moment, but watching your YouTube channel for more information on the mavic air2. Look forward to your future video of the A2 cofc certificate! Be interesting to learn what it involves to obtain one?
Thanks ?
I passed my A2 C of C last week, if your interested in doing it search the subject
on here as there has been lots of chat and info given out already.

Anyone can sell their work now, with nothing more than the DMARES drone registration (£9) required.
There’s no distinction between ‘hobby’ and ‘commercial’ filming/flights anymore.

What the A2cofC changes is the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings. It’s only really useful for drones over 250g. Those with MInis can fly closer to people and buildings without the A2cofC.
One of the rules taught on the A2 course states......any remote pilot undertaking any commercial work must hold current insurance to a minimum of £750.000
in liability cover.

I passed my A2 C of C last week, if your interested in doing it search the subject
on here as there has been lots of chat and info given out already.
I'm actually underway with it myself! :) Despite my PfCO not expiring until mid year, I wanted to find out exactly what's involved to make a video explaining it and what extra rights it gets you.

As @Lastrexking mentioned, no distinction now, but if it's a flight that's planned for commercial reasons, CAP722 stipulates commercial (ie non-hobby) 3rd party liability insurance is required....
Most of my flights are just me taking pictures as a hobbyist and uploading to social media. What if someone wants to buy a specific print? Would that still come under recreational flying? As I haven't planned for someone to buy my print thus not making it a "commercial" flight?

Then say for example, i get my A2 and a company approach me to do work for them. Is it just liability insurance I need for that?

Regards

Most of my flights are just me taking pictures as a hobbyist and uploading to social media. What if someone wants to buy a specific print? Would that still come under recreational flying? As I haven't planned for someone to buy my print thus not making it a "commercial" flight?

Then say for example, i get my A2 and a company approach me to do work for them. Is it just liability insurance I need for that?

Regards
All about intent; if you're intentionally flying for a client, it's commercial. If you subsequently make money from a non-commercial flight, it wasn't commercial. And yes, it's just 3rd party liability you need.

Reactions: sammackay23
All about intent; if you're intentionally flying for a client, it's commercial. If you subsequently make money from a non-commercial flight, it wasn't commercial. And yes, it's just 3rd party liability you need.
Thanks Ian appreciate that. Whats your youtube channel. Sounds like some decent content?

Great video, I gave a Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and passed my A2 CofC, I want to undertake commercial work mainly in London. The mini is perfect as it does comply, what are your thoughts on using my Air 2 for office buildings in London ?

Great video, I gave a Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 and passed my A2 CofC, I want to undertake commercial work mainly in London. The mini is perfect as it does comply, what are your thoughts on using my Air 2 for office buildings in London ?
You have to check the NATS app as there are quite a few restricted airspaces in central London that completely prohibit flying, even if you're sub 250 gms. Generally the square Mile and to the West End and the central royal parks are off limits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121