DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic Air indoors ?

Felipe

Reactions
I am curious about what it is like or if it is even possible to fly the Mavic Air indoors. I know some drones with a GPS systems are not recommended for any indoor use. Do the Air's obstacle avoidance sensors make indoor flying easier?

Its really a no-no. The Mavic Pro can actually reacquire GPS satellites while indoors (through a window usually) and during the switch from the ATTI mode to GPS mode there have been reported that the Mavic Pro will wander briefly as it attempts to determine its position. It is during those times that erratic flight characteristics have been noted by forum members.

If you had to do it then prop guards and aluminum foil taped to the top of the Mavic Pro (to block GPS reception) could save you some grief.

Get used to ATTI Mode outdoors in an open area first so that you can see how the Mavic Pro reacts.

Its really a no-no. The Mavic Pro can actually reacquire GPS satellites while indoors (through a window usually) and during the switch from the ATTI mode to GPS mode there have been reported that the Mavic Pro will wander briefly as it attempts to determine its position. It is during those times that erratic flight characteristics have been noted by forum members.

If you had to do it then prop guards and aluminum foil taped to the top of the Mavic Pro (to block GPS reception) could save you some grief.

Get used to ATTI Mode outdoors in an open area first so that you can see how the Mavic Pro reacts.

and what about the Mavic Air?

I have flown it indoors without issues. I just don’t ever do it around people.

Reactions: Callum
If you're going to fly it indoors in tight quarters, make sure you attach the prop guards. That should at least save your drone if all doesn't go as planned.

Reactions: Capt.Beck and BD0G
It takes off in doors but unless you're talking about a really large space, obstacle avoidance will prevent you from flying because it will see too many obstacles. Obviously overriding obstacle avoidance would make it possible to fly it around in doors but wouldn't prevent you from hitting stuff. The other thing to consider with obstacle avoidance is that it misses finer detail and doesn't work at all in low light conditions.

Another consideration is I wouldn't use the "precision take off" option (or indeed, the automated take off option) and take off manually. Precision take off will make your drone fly much higher than the usual four feet for automated take off in order to take a picture of the floor, and there are no upward facing obstacle avoidance sensors. Likewise with automated take off, this will take you four feet in the air from whatever you take off from. If you didn't take off from the floor or you have low ceilings, this will definitely hit the ceiling.

As others have said, propeller guards are a must - not just for the drone but also for whatever the drone hit.

Honestly though, find a field.

If you're going to fly it indoors in tight quarters, make sure you attach the prop guards. That should at least save your drone if all doesn't go as planned.

this...it comes with prop guards, and they are a piece of cake to install, use them. I fly my air indoors all the time, weaving in and around the house, its smaller size makes it easier to do, I never flew my Pro indoors at all. I flew my phantom 3 pro when I first got it, inside... once...because I didnt know better..ya..that ended up a disaster than required a wall repair and door replacement. those motors are powerful...

Last night I tried to fly my MA indoors initially it said that I had a compass error but after moving it into another area in the house It was resolved. unfortunately I then got unable to take off no gps signal. any ideas.

Reactions: Capt.Beck
And you can also start manually, this works. Its both sticks 45 degrees downwards to the controller center and then left stick upwards... not to much;) try the forst time outdoors, it hits the ceiling fast -.-

I am curious about what it is like or if it is even possible to fly the Mavic Air indoors. I know some drones with a GPS systems are not recommended for any indoor use. Do the Air's obstacle avoidance sensors make indoor flying easier?
Very bright light and contrasting colors/lines on the ground will help the OPTI mode provide more stable flight, but don't do it.

And you can also start manually, this works. Its both sticks 45 degrees downwards to the controller center and then left stick upwards... not to much;) try the forst time outdoors, it hits the ceiling fast -.-
Thank you

Remember the launch event showed them flying indoors without any issues. Go for it. I fly indoors to practice when weather is bad.

If you're worried about stick sensitivity indoors, you could always use Tripod Mode.

Tripod mode requires GPS, otherwise it will go into ATTI mode

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu