DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through totality and seeing the shadow race across the plains

Ian in London

Reactions
Hi guys

Well, it all went off like clockwork. No traffic. Viewing spot on exact centre of totality. Clear blue skies and not too many people.
I managed to get the Mavic up in the air 5 minutes before totality and left it flying throughout, capturing the moon's shadow racing across the Wyoming plains at over 1,600 mph.
A Go Pro hero on the ground captured the sounds and the overall view of the entire eclipse.

It was an unbelievably beautiful experience and I hope I've managed to capture some of it here. Happy viewing guys

Ian in London, in Wyoming....

I am a subscriber to your channel, didn't realize you were here too. LOL Saw your video earlier. Very impressed. I am using some of your hints.

From 5000ft (Table Mountain in WY just west of Grand Teton overlooking Idaho plains to the west) the edge of the shadow was not clearly discernible. Yes, there was a gradient, but it didn't look like "the moon's shadow racing across the plains at over 1,600 mph". More like just gradual dimming of lights in a movie theater. But the black sun with a diamond ring was awesome!
I thought that too, but when I was editing the video, I messed about and played it back at 10x the normal speed and you then really see the blackness just head over from the north east. I think the Mavic's camera is too good at adapting to the lower light which didn't help either.
But, either way, having the 360' of sunset-style twilight was amazing...
Cheers,
Ian

I am a subscriber to your channel, didn't realize you were here too. LOL Saw your video earlier. Very impressed. I am using some of your hints.
I get about...... :)

Cheers Cave Man :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada