DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying/travelling to Thailand

rickyjune

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I’m travelling to Thailand tomorrow to krabi Airport from Gatwick- does anyone know or have had experience of taking the mavic there? Any requirements? Restrictions? As I have read a lot of conflicting comments on this- some saying how from the new year you won’t to able to take them?

Many thanks in advance

i was there in OCT, the only issue i faced was flying in "national parks" everything else was fine. no issue what so ever bringing it into the country.

You're restricted in National Parks by law (a lot of the islands are designated as such so you won't be able to fly at Koh Phi-Phi). Check a national park map against where you're going. I think most of Bangkok is off limits. I've heard most resorts restrict flying on or over their properties to avoid annoying the other guests. You also must register your drone to fly there - even as a tourist. Check the Tourism Authority of Thailand's drone page (Registration needed for drones brought on holiday to Thailand - TAT Newsroom) it has links to the forms you'll need.

Reactions: rickyjune
Guys, I'm going to Thailand next week and never thought I got to register my drone just as a tourist. Do you think is safe to going with my mavic without registration or definitely I got to do it ?

Guys, I'm going to Thailand next week and never thought I got to register my drone just as a tourist. Do you think is safe to going with my mavic without registration or definitely I got to do it ?

Well I’m now in Thailand and can say I didn’t bring my drone.
20fe997abdca4b8b32930aae92523af6.jpg
I wouldn’t as even if you do get it here ok- most places are drone no fly zones. This with the amount of people/no secluded places on the best beaches I don’t regret not bringing it.....

Reactions: LukyLuke
Where about you are mate?
I would say he stays at Phang-nga. On the pic you can see the "James Bond Island".

I will stay at koh tao from 06 Febr. So i am interested in your thoughts. Take the mavic on the trip or better leave it at home?

I would say he stays at Phang-nga. On the pic you can see the "James Bond Island".

I will stay at koh tao from 06 Febr. So i am interested in your thoughts. Take the mavic on the trip or better leave it at home?

The whole entire Thailand requires Thai government registration now to fly drones (may take up to 3 months to process). Koh Phi Phi, and James Bond Island, these extremely touristy places are very strict with guards watching over it.

However, the lesser known islands, Hua Hin, Koh Samet, Koh Samui, you can still get away with it, providing not many people around.

Hello all, I'm going to Australia on Sunday, flying Emirates through Dubai. Is it safe to take my mavic?

I've read different things from different sources. Some say there's no problems, others say no go!

Has anyone had recent experience? Be glad to hear your advice!

Guy

wouldn’t as even if you do get it here ok- most places are drone no fly zones..

No they're not. National parks are no drone areas, as are airports and military areas. The rest of the country is fine. The areas you cant fly are a tiny tiny percentage of the country as a whole.

Hi Guys,

I’m travelling to Thailand tomorrow to krabi Airport from Gatwick- does anyone know or have had experience of taking the mavic there? Any requirements? Restrictions? As I have read a lot of conflicting comments on this- some saying how from the new year you won’t to able to take them?

Many thanks in advance

A recent National article clearly states that by the 9th of January every drone other than a toy must be registered or will be find heavily or imprisoned. They say they had registered 8000 uses already but I know the process is slow I have tried in the past but failed on a few occasions this time they say it will be processed quickly. So don't fly in public just in case some knowledgeable policeman or his officer as instructed arrest. I have stopped all public flying until my registration is processedm for my next trip in April. It's just not worth the risk.

I've got a Thailand trip planned in March. Just checked the drone laws for Belize (where I'm going next) and now Thailand and things are just not looking good for drone travelers. Wish I had bought one years ago before all these laws hit the books. I plan on visiting Koh Lanta and also Koh Yao Noi. I'll be in Phuket too but I didn't really plan on taking too much footage there anyway. How strict are they about these new laws and the threat of imprisonment? Seems like registering with two different authorities and getting insurance and all that is just too much hassle but I'm wondering how strict they will be on smaller islands to get beach and village/resort shots. Can you just pay off the cops? I heard that customs doesn't really care; it's more about flying and getting bumped into by police.

I live in Thailand and can tell you that police don’t really care about enforcing the law; they use the law as a way to extract money out of you. If you are a farang, it’s easier because they can use scare tactics and ignorance of the law to impose fear of arrest, fines, etc. The best way out of a sticky situation in Thailand is to act respectfully and bribe them, because that’s what they are expecting.

@kindnation that's kind of what I suspected. I have been to Thailand half a dozen times but last time was in 2010 or so I'm looking forward to going back. The main thing was the new regulations for mandatory registration or harsh fines and imprisonment, which of course, is meant to scare people. It seems the customs people are not actually confiscating them like they are doing in countries like Belize which is bigger risk for losing the drone itself. I will keep monitoring to see if they actually do something like that to a tourist. My goal was fly discretely as I always do, away from people and in areas that are not expressly prohibited.

I have never lived in Thailand. I have only ever visited Phuket more than 20 times over the last 20 years. I am not trying to contradict kindnation just give you my observations. I have been pulled over by police on a few occasions. I was fined twice for not having my drivers licence with me while riding a bike. On both occasions there were lines of Thais and non Thais of about 20. Most of them for not wearing a helmet or no licence. On these two occasions and the other times I observed no bribes or any such indications of one by Thais or none Thais. We were told to pay the same amount depending on the crime. Under these circumstances I would never entertain the idea of offering a bribe and would advise others not to either. On my last day in Phuket last week I sat at the Red Bar on the main junction at the top of Bangla Road for about three hours. Three cops were pulling over any one not wearing a helmet again Thai and non Thai. Every one paid or agreed to leave their bike and off they went to the station to pay their fine later return and rode off with helmets. Again no hint of bribery was taking place, and I had a camera and zoomed in, I was only 20 meters away away. I strongly suspected by everyones attitude that the offer of a bribe would have meant immediate arrests and marching off the cop shop. Bribery takes place in every country in the world and a lot more so the poorer the society. But don't think you can rely on it and take care. If I was with a small group of Thais and one cop and was pulled over for an offence and every one was getting along fine with no agro I then might test the water a little and may offer a sorry donation rather than a heavy fine or a spell in the cop shop. But I would be very carful, respectful and polite.
Very few Thais are as yet aware of the laws concerning drones. But that is going to gradually change. I am going to do my best to get registered if I do this I am then not breaking the law. If you can get something in writhing from the aviation authority or anyone in standing that you have applied and are awaiting approval you should be fine. Just use common sense and enjoy flying. Even Phuket is a big place :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22