DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying under bridges

m0j0

Reactions
Guys -

I'm curious. How many of you routinely fly under bridges? Do you have issues doing that? I would expect there would be GPS loss. Any other issues flying under or through structures outside. I you have videos please share them. Thank You

Depends on what kind of bridge you're talking about. And how wide it is. The wider it is, the larger the chance of a disconnect or a GPS error. Both of which can bring your drone down. A short flight underneath a narrow bridge is not going to be as bad as say trying to fly under a four-lane bridge crossing the Mississippi.

I personally have not flown under bridges yet. But I think a bridge is too narrow to cover so many satellites, that this could be a problem. At least if you do not fly too close... Satellites are distributed over the entire sky and are in different angles, aren’t they?

There are a lot of crash videos on YouTube. The first thing that is likely to happen is a loss of GPS. You can still fly but it will tend to drift. The next problem is a disconnect to the RC causing RTH to kick in. Even with RTH set to hover it will drift with the breeze until it hits something. Of course this all depends on the size and type of bridge.

Hi Guys

I have flown a zig zag pattern around all the arches of this viaduct at a slow speed, without loss of signal.

You can't tell from the perspective but the Span is about is about 50 feet wide and 30 foot deep and 100 foot high ( at Highest point ).

Waylander
DJI_0006.JPG

The next problem is a disconnect to the RC causing RTH to kick in.
That should not happen in most cases if you have an unobstructed path between the TX and the UAS. GPS loss and the associated loss of position lock would be anticipated in most cases of the bridge is wide enough. TX disconnect should not occur unless there is an obstruction between the TX and UAS. I have been flying a long time... Never flown under a bridge but I am curious as to how it would react.

I like learning from others mistakes not my own ; )

Hi Guys

I have flown a zig zag pattern around all the arches of this viaduct at a slow speed, without loss of signal.

You can't tell from the perspective but the Span is about is about 50 feet wide and 30 foot deep and 100 foot high ( at Highest point ).

Waylander
View attachment 55794
I would think in this photograph you could navigate through those spans without too much issue. As long as you fly in the middle (Top to Bottom) you should still have GPS.

This in my opinion is pretty sketchy ...

Likely to have GPS loss and possibly TX disconnect if your are not in the right position.

Y'all act like as soon as you lose GPS the drone plummets to the ground.
No I have flown RC, losing GPS wouldn't bother me at all especially under a bridge where the wind is reduced. - But a TX disconnect could be bad under a bridge. Would be a good idea to change setting to Hover on disconnect.

The bigger challenge here isn't the loss of GPS its the loss of connection with the transmitter.

...The next problem is a disconnect to the RC causing RTH to kick in...
That should not happen in most cases if you have an unobstructed path between the TX and the UAS...
You are correct. A RC disconnect should not happen if you are in VLOS. However the OP was asking what problems could happen and and that is one of the major ones. Some people do not maintain VLOS and cannot resist the urge to fly under a bridge.

I remember a thread where the guy had an RC loss and hadn't changed the failsafe setting. Not sure he had been careful to place himself appropriately to keep LOS though. Reliable picture transmission makes you confident and looks all good initially, but 3m thick brick can ruin that pretty quick.

Hi Guys

Waylander
View attachment 55794

Fantastic location! How old is viaduct, ancient Roman?

Hi Chip... the Viaduct location is in the north of England, it is a railway bridge which when built carried the Great Northern Railway and was opened in 1883. It's name is Hewenden Viaduct and it is near Cullingworth, West Yorkshire.

Regards Waylander

That brings back memories - I used to live near it, we played on top as kids. Very dodgy as there were open shafts that went right down the towers.
It's been disused since 1960's then was converted into a cycle track about 10 years ago.

Reactions: waylander
Guys -

I'm curious. How many of you routinely fly under bridges? Do you have issues doing that? I would expect there would be GPS loss. Any other issues flying under or through structures outside. I you have videos please share them. Thank You
Early on, i flew under a single rail bridge and was 'attacked' by a flock of swallows'. no loss of control though

Awesome stuff here. Thanks guys. I’m going to run throw one this weekend. Should be pretty easy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50