DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying under zero altitude?

daithi23

Reactions
When I was flying my Mavic around the nice level park it wouldn't go near the ground unless I purposefully made it land. There's a slight pause and then you can bring it down. Is this down to the ground-facing sensors, barometer or GPS telling it it's close to the ground? I plan on taking off from cliffs soon and will drop below my original home point altitude, just wondering if anything odd is likely to happen? (and curious about how the Mavic works) I'll be flying over water so will have the ground-facing sensors switched off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Is this down to the ground-facing sensors, barometer or GPS telling it it's close to the ground?
The downward vision sensors are detecting the ground. If you disable them in DJI GO, your Mavic won't pause and you can manually land it.

DJI-GO-Downward-Vision-Positioning.jpg

Thanks, that's what I presumed but when you're about to fly an expensive drone over high cliffs you tend to look for confirmation!
So there's no safety mechanism built in to prevent it flying at negative altitudes?

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

The "zero altitude" is 0 ATO, or zero units above take-off. It's not 0 AGL (above ground level) unless you take off from the ground and it's coincidentally a huge flat surface all around you. It's perfectly fine to take off from a rooftop and fly/land down on the street, if you are otherwise being safe and know what risks there are in your flight area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS